• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who here...

Diesel

Quote:

Wasn't drooling over the prospects of having Chris Paul?

Damn.

When you think that we could have had him...

Damn.

He ran through our defense like a hot knife through butter.

Damn is right. It was splashwater falls in the first half.

I think we would be much better if he were here. However, I think we would be much, much, much better if Deron was here.

I'll take him over Paul for obvious size reasons and a number of asthetic ones. Moot point now, just got to hope Marvin keeps coming along. Marvin is improving, the Hawks are not. That is troubling.

I'm not even gonna' lie. I was watching that last night thinking.....the Hawks could have this team right now.....

Paul

JJ

Chillz

Smoove

Horford

and they could have still drafted Acie this year for a solid, young backup PG or used the pick in a trade or to fill another need.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'm not even gonna' lie. I was watching that last night thinking.....the Hawks could have this team right now.....

Paul

JJ

Chillz

Smoove

Horford

and they could have still drafted Acie this year for a solid, young backup PG or used the pick in a trade or to fill another need.

Thats not true!! You don't know what their record would have been at the end of each year!

Yes, we all saw that, BUT:

Had we taken him, we wouldn't have Marvin. No problem,

you say - OK.

We would have won more games - True.

That means, we would have lost our first pick this past

year, Horford. Also, with a few more wins there is a

good possibility we wouldn't have had our second pick,

Acie Law IV.

Remember, everything had to work out "Just right" for

the Birds to get either pick.

So, the real question is, would the Hawks be willing to

trade Marvin Williams, Al Horford and Acie Law IV for

this great Point Guard? Ask our worthy opponent if

they would be willing to trade with us, three for one?

confused.gif

Quote:

Yes, we all saw that, BUT:

Had we taken him, we wouldn't have Marvin. No problem,

you say - OK.

We would have won more games
- True.

That means, we would have lost our first pick this past

year, Horford. Also, with a few more wins there is a

good possibility we wouldn't have had our second pick,

Acie Law IV.

Remember, everything had to work out "Just right" for

the Birds to get either pick.

So, the real question is, would the Hawks be willing to

trade Marvin Williams, Al Horford and Acie Law IV for

this great Point Guard? Ask our worthy opponent if

they would be willing to trade with us, three for one?

confused.gif

At the end of the day, I think that more wins is really the only thing that counts.

Also, how would our success have cost us Indy's pick this year? Unless I'm mistaken (always likely), that one was all about how the Pacers finished up.

This last bit is more of a general statement than a direct response to you, Gray, but I think Paul is a great player. He's up there with Kidd and Nash as the best PGs in the NBA. To me, one really great player is more valuable than a couple of very good players and I'd take him, even if the opportunity cost is lost draft position/picks.

But we've got Marvin and that's fine. Or at least, it's nobody's fault. tongue.gif

• Premium Member

Really, if we had Paul, JJ, Smoove, and Chillz... It wouldn't matter that we would have put ourselves out of the race to get Shelden and maybe Horford. We would have gotten Something...

Paul makes those around him better. Deron too.

• Premium Member

Umm.. I would actually do this trade (Paul has got to be in the top 5 players in the league right now value wise); Regardless your point about having to give up those three players for Paul isn't really valid because, even though we would probably have a different record with Paul and most likely would not have those three players in our roster, you are not factoring in the players we WOULD have gotten had Paul been on our team. I mean think about your logic on this one. You are basically saying "Picking Paul would not have necessarily been a good move because we would have had WORSE PICKS (aka been a better team, have more wins, been more successful). Having more wins is usually a good thing last time I checked.

Even not knowing what player we would have gotten after the Paul pick I think it's safe to assume that at WORST our starting lineup would look something like this:

Paul -

JJ -

Chillz -

Smoove -

Pachulia -

thinking about how much better this lineup is than our current starting lineup is enough to get me to reach for a cold one extra early on in the morning today. (heck the Falcons play in a couple of hours so I might as well get started on drowning my sorrows)

Quote:

More and more it's beginning to look like not drafting Paul or Deron is what will haunt our franchise for 10 years or more.

i have been saying this for years not getting either of these allstar point guards will haunt this franchise. Marvin wil never ever be as good as those guys are right now. They make everyone around them better and have all the talent in the world.

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Would've-could've DO NOT MATTER. why is there always these pointless threads? We can't turn back the hands of time and N.O. is not going to trade Chris Paul to us for anyone, so what is the point of this every time we play them? Or Marvin has a bad game? Or Paul or Deron have good games? Come on, people, get over it, he isn't here and never will be.

I agree that we will never have him so we need to move on...

However, it does serve a bigger point here that our GM has consistently gotten the draft wrong with his high top 6 picks.

Marvin over Deron/Paul

Chill over Deng/Iggy

Shelden over Roy (Yes, Roy could play PG as well as Law...LOL)

Horford was the FIRST high pick that I think BK got correct.

If he had gotten just ONE of the above 3 right then the franchise would be drastically different. For example, what if Deng had been chose ahead of Chill? It would have been much easier to draft a PG instead of Marvin because I believe that BK actually thought Chill could play the 2 whereas Deng is not remotely a 2.

So, in many respects you could argue that the Chill pick was just as instrumental in not getting Paul/Deron.

We all know the coach and GM are horrid. We also know the ASG is a bunch of kids with a toy that holds our team hostage and won't make the required changes.