• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Bury this Sh*t Forever Thread!!!!

Wurider05

• Premium Member

Quote:

(( flashing 'Men In Black' light in Hawkmam's eyes ))

There. It's gone from your memory.

Sorry man, but it don't work that way in real life laugh.gif. We screwed up, it's ok. Everyone screws up. But when we refuse to acknowledge that we screwed up...that's where the problem begins. That's why we'll always justify picking a Marvin over a Paul/Deron or a Shelden over a Roy. We'll always be doomed to repeat our mistakes if we don't learn from them. It smells "homerific" to me. That's why someone can question Durant's potential but then hype Marvin as being a potential superstar. WHAAA???? We're all homers to some extent, but let's not get crazy here. crazy.gif

• Admin

but the coaching mistakes you can't write off because they happen as much now as they ever have.

As far as the Chris Paul thing goes, about the only time I ever hear anyone bring it up anymore is when Matt Chernoff on 790 whines about it, which is really all he ever does about anything. I really hate his radio schtick. You can pretty much guarantee that regardless of the subject, he will always take the position that represents the most uninformed side of the discussion. I know the guy can't be that much of an ass clown, he's just trying to pull ratings. Which makes him all the more disingenuous.

Every now and again Steak Shapiro will mention it, but I think that's mostly lip service to try and convince the Atlanta fans that he actually pays attention to sports that happens outside of Boston.

I argued vigorously for Paul before the draft, but at this point I'd rather have Deron Williams, plus I believe Marvin is turning into a very good player right now, and we probably would never have had the chance to draft Horford or Law if we'd taken CP or DW - so right now we might be in a better overall position anyway.

I'm just not sure if the Hawks management should get credit for getting us into this position. Did they purposefully plan to slowly build depth through the draft by taking high-character glue guys (Chills, Shelden) or talented young projects (Smoove, Marvin) instead of can't miss prospects who might get us out of the lottery but not into contention? Or did they try to pick the best available player and just get it wrong?

• Premium Member

Quote:

I argued vigorously for Paul before the draft, but at this point I'd rather have Deron Williams, plus I believe Marvin is turning into a very good player right now, and we probably would never have had the chance to draft Horford or Law if we'd taken CP or DW - so right now we might be in a better overall position anyway.

I'm just not sure if the Hawks management should get credit for getting us into this position. Did they purposefully plan to slowly build depth through the draft by taking high-character glue guys (Chills, Shelden) or talented young projects (Smoove, Marvin) instead of can't miss prospects who might get us out of the lottery but not into contention? Or did they try to pick the best available player and just get it wrong?

The answer to your last question is YES! But hey, we're not terrible right now. We're only 2 games below .500? That ain't bad compared to what we used to be.

It is tempting to think that there was a master master plan, but in reality no one can make that argument. BK came out and said in the AJC last year, that he did not realize Deron Williams was going to be this good. But, he did not blow it either, he got a player that would go #2 in most drafts. Just did not get the two players that would go #1 in most drafts.

Yes, it would certainly be nice to see the fan base move on past this.

Hard to bury this. Passing on Paul and Deron is the biggest mistake this franchise has made in our rebuilding effort. Remember this is an armchair GM website. Should we only talk about future moves, present player development, and games we are about to play?

As long as there is a place to talk about past GM moves passing on Paul and Deron will be brought up.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I guess that's right. But, I don't think you crucify the GM for the next millineum, either. Every dog has his day, and his was in the last draft. Horford will/is a franchise player.

But how many chances did we waste before that?

Unlessen Marvin becomes a star and as long as Billy Knight is the GM people will continue this arguement. IMO I don't think Marvin will reach his full potential as an Atlanta Hawk. He will always be in Josh Smith's shadow. Marvin doesn't think of himself as a future franchise player(even though he was #2overall pick) but Josh Smith does.

The difference in Marvin and Josh Smith is Marvin doesn't want to be a star or a leader just a "good" team player.

the leader of this team. I am seeing more and more things from him all the time that indicate to me that he has the makings of a great leader.

First of all, he is already showing the ability to be a mediator when there is friction between players and/or friction between players and the coaching staff/management. How many 21 year olds can do that?

Two, he has shown that he is not afraid to go nose to nose with our All Star and best player despite the fact that JJ is 5 years older and far more established as a player.

Three, he NEVER (even if to a fault) shows any hint of selfishness and he tries to do play within the confines of the team. While we as fans (and even the coaches) may want him to be more selfish, his teammates likely appreciate his team-first approach.

Four, he does the best job of all the Hawks when representing the franchise in front of the media and team sponsors. He is incredibly well spoken for his age and he is very charismatic. JJ and Smoove are our best players but neither guy is great in those environments. It is obviously ideal when your best player is also great with the media (LeBron, Shaq) but Marvin is good enough as a player (and he is going to get aLOT better) that he can fill that role more than adequately.

I truly believe that Marvin, Horford and Chillz (assuming he is here) are going to be the leaders of this team going forward.

It's a tough call trace...we'll have to see how it develops. Marvin has been improving. He has a very nice jumper and he gets rebounds when they come to him. Recently he has been successful driving a bit and gotten to the free throw line. In the meat of the second half against the T-Wolves he kept us in the game.

That said, he doesn't seem to be very aggressive. It could be because of Woody's play calling. If your job is to stand out at the three point line away from the ball what can you do? Jump up and down and look athletic?

I fault Woody mostly. He has the horses but he doesn't know how to run the race.

I agree.

We catch more grief for passing on Paul than Cleveland and Denver get for drafting guys who aren't in the league anymore over Amare or Detroit gets for taking Darko over Melo, Wade and Bosh. It's ridiculous.

Marvin is a good player. Childress is a good player. Were there better players on the board? Yes, but that doesn't mean we should be embarrassed with the guys we got. And with Paul here instead of Marvin and Horford and Law and with Woody still coaching, we'd probably be right where we are now.