• Current Donation Goals

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

Why doesn't Shelden learn to pass out of the post?

Peoriabird

Quote:

And why does he think that he can shoot jump shots?

His effective FG% on jumpers is 41%. Compare that to 44% and 43% for Marvin and Joe, 30% for smith, 33% for zaza. Shelden can hit jumpers.

We should be looking for him to take more mid-range jumpers because he should be able to get them relatively easily. He fumbles every time he tries an elaborate move in the post. We should be looking at him to just catch and go up strong (no fakes) or to shoot jumpers. Unfortunately we have no system and barely appear to run any plays at all, so you can't design them to set guys up in the right spots.

Shelden will be a good Power forward - once he gains his confidence, gets minutes, and understands his limitations in the leauge. Obviously not worthy of where is was taken in the draft, but he will always bear that cross in Atlanta. He needs to be traded - like failed lottery picks before him - for a second chance.

I see a lot of Danny Fortsen / Udonis Haslem in him, maybe a Charles Oakley (at best) type player that doesn't need offense out of the Power Forward spot.

Quote:

...I see a lot of Danny Fortson..

Well to be fair - Danny Fortson was a real force when he was young...totally controlled the paint. If he would have had a decent head on top of that body he would have been great.

P.S. - at least he isn't out in the deep blue sea like Bison Dele.

I've seen Shelden miss a TON of rebounds because he just doesn't go after the ball. It can fall into his lap, and he weakly goes after it, and too often he knocks it out of bounds or a player on the other team knocks it out of his hands. I just wish he could consistently grab the rebounds that come to him.

Quote:

Quote:

And why does he think that he can shoot jump shots?

His effective FG% on jumpers is 41%. Compare that to 44% and 43% for Marvin and Joe, 30% for smith, 33% for zaza. Shelden can hit jumpers.

We should be looking for him to take more mid-range jumpers because he should be able to get them relatively easily. He fumbles every time he tries an elaborate move in the post. We should be looking at him to just catch and go up strong (no fakes) or to shoot jumpers. Unfortunately we have no system and barely appear to run any plays at all, so you can't design them to set guys up in the right spots.

Glad you had the numbers available. I'm all for Shelden taking the open J from 10-15 feet. I have a lot more confidence in that than I do in his post game or any time he puts the ball on the floor.

He can knock down the 10-15 footer pretty consistently. I like it when he comes to the high post and if he has an open shot, takes it, or passes it from the elbow and goes to crash the offensive boards. 10-15 foot jumpers and put-backs are the best parts of his game thus far.

• Premium Member

Quote:

exactly. How do you expect him to do ANYTHING when he never plays. Give him 12-15 per game and he'll turn in decent stats.

He is averaging 2.5 rebounds and 3 points on 35% shooting in 16 minutes his last five games.

For the year he is averaging 13 minutes and is putting up... well those same numbers.

Aren't players supposed to earn minutes... how many more minutes does he need to get in a grove. 20 - 25 minutes a game?? I guess we should also play Salim 25 minutes a game to find his groove right... pillepalle.gif.