• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm still not really satisfied with Marvin

Blunt91

I hate to go bashing him but I think Marvin is a bit of a Stiff. He seems to have bad footwork and below average Ball Handling skills for a SmallForward. Marvin just doesn't have the dribbling ablity or footwork to go around defenders that are his size or smaller. He does okay putting the ball on the floor against PowerFowards & Centers but doesn't have the skills to drive on Athletic 3's & 2's. He just seems a bit clumsy like on that one play in the Dallas game. Bob & Smitty tried to make like Jason Terry pulled him down but watching the replay Marvin just stumbled on his own.

I think Marvin is a nice player, some one who could average around 19ppg but he will never be a superstar which is what you hope for in a #2overall pick.

• Premium Member

I still believe that the best part of Marvin's game is his spot shooting.

I too believe that he's clumsy with the ball on the floor and I cringe whenever I see him dribble into traffic because I honestly don't think he looks where he's driving to. His head is down most of the time.

That said, I think he's really good at being a third option set shot shooter.

While I would like to see more from him, I have come to not expect it.. and his raging fan base... although they will tell you that he can be the next Dr. J...in their hearts that don't expect more from him either.

• Premium Member

Wounded Antelope...

When the Lions see a wounded antelope, they are more likely to go after it.

Well, when Marvin starts to drive, he's so disorganized that most defenders believe that they can get a steal. Marvin get a lot of reach in fouls or moving fouls because Marvin kinda stumbles into people.

This is not new, he has been doing this for the last 3 years.

Quote:

Well, when Marvin starts to drive, he's so disorganized that most defenders believe that they can get a steal. Marvin get a lot of reach in fouls or moving fouls because Marvin kinda stumbles into people.

Agreed.

• Premium Member

It's a promo for UConn UNC... that year.

Quote:

UCONN fans already have big red circles around this game in their datebooks, and it's not because of Valentine's Day Weekend. After last year's 'Instant Classic' game, the Husky community is seething for revenge; but with the tragic loss of A.J. Price from their line-up, it may be difficult. However, there is a match-up that personally, I would love to see, and that's Carolina's super freshman Marvin Williams vs. Charlie Villanueva.

Many people who have followed Villanueva since his Brooklyn days are blown away that Villanueva has reached his sophomore year at UCONN, and many insiders wonder if his talent matches his hype. However, if there is a game for basketball junkies that could both identify where Villanueva is at this point, and also mark the development for Marvin Williams, this could be the one.

Watch for the footwork in this game...Here's a bet that Williams' 'clumsy footwork' label will have slipped into the mist by the time this game tips off. Although Williams has shown lapses of bewilderment in early workouts with learning the Carolina system, his sweet stroke and court presence should allow him to make up a lot of ground by the time this Carolina frontcourt matches up against Villanueva and his supporting cast of Josh Boone and Rudy Gay.

As a side note, watch for Rudy Gay. You know he's nice when you yell to Melvin Scott 'What's up in B-More?' and he yells 'Rudy Gay.' That's rep...This game will be a nice test to see who can hit the next level.

So, that's it for my top five match-ups. There's a couple of more that I'll put out as the season progresses that will get those break-room discussions sizzlin'. I'll be sure to send them your way from my perch at the Smith Center.

Quote:

It doesn't have to be graceful to be effective. Sydney Moncrief's game was fugly, but highly effective. And I don;t recall Marvin earning this many trips to the line in the previous seasons.

I personally doubt that he will be a "superstar". In fact, superstar small forwards are an endangered species over the past 10-15 years (hard for me to include T-Mac given his inability to win 1 first round playoff series in his career). But unless we're going back in a time machine, and as long as we have him on a rookie scale, he's playing pretty well. I'm not sure when his draft slot becomes a non-issue... maybe never. All I know is that on a team that has struggled so long with consistency, he is giving us exactly that... and improved effort on the defensive end too. Clumsy or graceful, I'll take his high shooting percentage and 6-8 free throw attempts every game and will appreciate his contribution to the team's improved play.

• Premium Member

Quote:

and below average Ball Handling skills for a SmallForward. Marvin just doesn't have the dribbling ablity or footwork to go around defenders that are his size or smaller.

His ball handling skills are so bad the he commits the fewest number of turnovers per 48 minutes of all the starters! shhh.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

It doesn't have to be graceful to be effective. Sydney Moncrief's game was fugly, but highly effective. And I don;t recall Marvin earning this many trips to the line in the previous seasons.

I personally doubt that he will be a "superstar". In fact, superstar small forwards are an endangered species over the past 10-15 years (hard for me to include T-Mac given his inability to win 1 first round playoff series in his career). But unless we're going back in a time machine, and as long as we have him on a rookie scale, he's playing pretty well. I'm not sure when his draft slot becomes a non-issue... maybe never. All I know is that on a team that has struggled so long with consistency, he is giving us exactly that... and improved effort on the defensive end too. Clumsy or graceful, I'll take his high shooting percentage and 6-8 free throw attempts every game and will appreciate his contribution to the team's improved play.

Sac rider! grin.gif

It isn't about him having pretty form or footwork it's just that he needs to work on his ball skills, and coming up with better moves when he is driving to the basket, intead of running into players hoping that the Ref will give him the call. I just feel if he worked on his all around game he could become a allstar player. Childress has better skills around the basket than he does.

• Premium Member

I think the real question is are you content with Marvin as he is or would you like to see him play better??

I want to see Marvin progress to the place where he becomes a threat. Teams are afraid of Marv just as much as they are afraid of JJ. Our team needs that. However, right now, Marvin's just a consistent third option shooter. He's like Jim Paxson.... when we need Scottie Pippen... or Toni Kukoc.

LOL . . . poor Marvin and Chill. They can't catch a break from our schizophrenic fan base. One loss, and the complaining picks up like both players are regressing.

(( crying )) But they aren't all-stars !! I won't be happy until they both are all-stars !! (( /crying ))

If we make the playoffs, and win a few games, people are going to be drooling over our players more than ever.

It took JJ 5 years to develop into the player he is now.

Some guys develop rapidly. Most don't. If they're steadily improving, what's the damn problem?