• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Acie Law better start stepping up because...

Brotha2ThaNite

...Mike Conley has just been promoted to the starting lineup. Stoudamire is coming off the bench now.

On Jan, 2nd he played 35 minutes, 7pts, 6rebs, and 8ast.

I can here the fans calling out Law if he doesn't step up his game. Other then the Dallas game he seems to play a little scared. I wish he would shoot more.

Quote:

On Jan, 2nd he played 35 minutes, 7pts, 6rebs, and
8ast.

Law could easily put up those numbers if he was given 35 minutes in a game IMO. Atlanta is looking to win NOW, Memphis is not. Conley will get alot more opportunities to do well after mistakes, while Law will remain on a short leash.

Quote:

until conley is better than horford+law, we made the right decision

I'm pretty sure we still would have had the #10 pick if we had picked conley. Conley/Stuckey or Conley/Sean Williams might turn out to be what we should have done in the long run even though Conley and Stuckey (and Law) have had injuries to date.

Anyhow, Horford looks great.

Acie said back in April (I think) that he was the best PG in the draft. So he needs to start showing us that. He has very much a Deron Williams-looking body, and needs to use his strength more to his advantage.

I expect big things out of the guy I idolized taking the big shots in college

Quote:

Quote:

until conley is better than horford+law, we made the right decision

I'm pretty sure we still would have had the #10 pick if we had picked conley. Conley/Stuckey or Conley/Sean Williams might turn out to be what we should have done in the long run even though Conley and Stuckey (and Law) have had injuries to date.

Anyhow, Horford looks great.

Sean Williams wasn't even a possibility at #11. He was considered a reach by NJ where they took him. Obviously he had the talent of a top 10 pick, but he had major off court concerns.. I was actually a big fan of him, I started a thread about him back in May.

Yeah I know, I would not have had the balls to take him at 10. I'm just saying that in the long run that might be who we wish we had, and we would have gotten a PG and a C. Either way it's too early to tell, especially when many of the guys have been injured.

Well it's not Woody's fault that Acie doesn't keep track of the timeclock. For at least the second time this season he didn't shoot the ball when the time was winding down. Woody stared at his ass as he was passing by to the bench.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

That's great for Conley and all...but Al Horford has been the superior player this year. That's what is relevant here. Not Acie.

Agreed. Comparing Law with Stuckey and Crittenton as PG's is more relevant IMHO.

Good point man. I was a Crittenton/Stuckey guy and thought that it was a lock out of those two on draft night. With that said, I wasn't overly upset when we picked Law. I just wish he would be a bit more assertive out there on offense. Acie without the offense isn't the type of player that fits well with this team. His offense would spread the defense and make it a LOT easier on JJ, which makes it easier on guys like Marvin, Smith, and Childress who don't/can't create their own offense. He seemed like a natural scorer in college, so I'm pretty sure coaching may have something to do with his low offensive production. I'm not sure the kid is having fun out there like he did in college. Too bad, because I thought that this guy would at least alleviate some of the frustration of missing out on Paul/Deron a few seasons ago sooner rather than later. frown.gif

Acie's injury set back his development, especially in the confidence department. Because this team has a chance to make the playoffs, Woody (rightfully) holds him accountable for making the right decisions on the floor, since poor ones hurt the entire team. It's called tough love, and while it might look unfair in the short run, it is best for the player (or people in general) in the long run.

I remember seeing Sloan use the same approach with Deron in his rookie year. That turned out okay. I also remember asking Lenny Wilkins whether he'd take a risk on giving JT the opportunity to play through his mistakes because I felt JT was a long-term upgrade over the guards we had on that team. Lenny looked down his nose at me, and essentially said JT had a long way to go before he'd be ready to run a team, and that he'd play when Lenny thought he was ready. If Lenny were coaching him now, JT'd probably have had 6th man status only a long time before now.

I know most folks don't, but I trust Woody's judgment to balance Acie's developmental needs with the short-term needs of the team to the best interests of the team and the individual. Woody doesn't seem to do a lot of public coddling, which is fine with me.