Woodson story is back up!

ATLHawks10

Great news! He is the best beat writer we've had in a while and I am glad to see that he was vindicated.

Looks like his sources also confirmed that there had been previous discussions about firing Woody. I don't think that proves that Gearon, Jr. was "lying", it could just mean that he characterized the nature of the discussions differently than the sources did. At any rate, glad Sekou is back in business!

Quote:

Interesting changes in this version of the story.
he notes that of the two sources one was inside the organization and one was outside.
also talks about the response to the early online version and Gearon's denial.

Can't wait to see Sekou's next blog entry.

Like I said yesterday . . .

Belkin = inside source

Mullin = outside source

What 2 guys would want to see the ASG look bad, more than those 2?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Sekou is the best sports reporter/writer the AJC has period.

1. Jayson Walker. Some snot nose kid who started the whole hawkbloggery thing on RealGM.

2. Voison. Now that Bibby is in Atlanta, she should leave the Sacbee and come back!!!

3. Denberg. He did good. Had his ups and his down, when he went national, fell off.

4. Maybe Sekou. Sekou is made for the new millenium with his blogs and stuff. Newspapers are losing big money to blogs and messageboards. Therefore, Sekou is a stopgap ushering in the new generation.

7. Micheal Lee. Better than Bradley and Moore in some respects but seemed kinda lazy.

27. PJA... Makes Diesel look like a good reporter.

Do you really expect the owner of a team to come out when there is rampant speculation and actually give any credence to the speculation?

It's ridiculous to sit here and criticize Michael Gearon for saying that they haven't considered firing Mike Woodson, because no owner in sports will come out and say "Yeah, we considered firing him, but we decided to keep him at this point."

Quote:

Do you really expect the owner of a team to come out when there is rampant speculation and actually give any credence to the speculation?

It's ridiculous to sit here and criticize Michael Gearon for saying that they haven't considered firing Mike Woodson, because no owner in sports will come out and say "Yeah, we considered firing him, but we decided to keep him at this point."

KB if you had heard Gearon on the radio Friday morning you wouldn't be siding with him. Gearon called the fans unsophisticated and without a clue. He essentially insulted the entire Hawks fan base for wanting Woodson to be replaced. Even if you believe that anyone who believe Woodson should be fired is in the wrong, as an owner you NEVER insult the paying customer, especially when the team is at the bottom in attendence. Second, Gearon never denied talks about firing Woodson. He actually said that they evaluate the organization DAILY. Gearon has come off as a pompous ASS in this whole affair.

Quote:

Quote:

KB if you had heard Gearon on the radio Friday morning you wouldn't be siding with him. Gearon called the fans unsophisticated and without a clue. He essentially insulted the entire Hawks fan base for wanting Woodson to be replaced. Even if you believe that anyone who believe Woodson should be fired is in the wrong, as an owner you NEVER insult the paying customer, especially when the team is at the bottom in attendence. Second, Gearon never denied talks about firing Woodson. He actually said that they evaluate the organization DAILY. Gearon has come off as a pompous ASS in this whole affair.

Well, I haven't heard it, and I think at this point, a lot of people are jumping to conclusions when we don't know the entire story on what is going on. This picture that is currently being painted of Michael Gearon Jr does not match anything in his history, so I'm not going to jump to conclusions and start bashing a guy who has grown up a Hawks fan and honestly has the best interests of the Hawks in mind when he makes a decision.

Is that interview being podcast anywhere? Traceman didn't mention anything even remotely close to Gearon insulting the fans and calling them unsophisticated. He seemed to get a completely different message from the interview than what you are referring to and since I haven't had the chance to listen to it I would really like to get my own opinion from it instead of 2nd hand.

Quote:

Is that interview being podcast anywhere? Traceman didn't mention anything even remotely close to Gearon insulting the fans and calling them unsophisticated. He seemed to get a completely different message from the interview than what you are referring to and since I haven't had the chance to listen to it I would really like to get my own opinion from it instead of 2nd hand.

790 has replayed it a couple of times. They usually have things on PodCast after a few days. I think its 790theZone.com

I agree that its not normal for Gearon to mouth off like that, but one of the afternoon guys thinks that Gearon just had a loss of composure for a minute.

I am sure my own reaction is tainted by being fed up with the drama that surrounds the Hawks, and Atlanta sports in general. As much as fans loved to dig at Turner, you have to say that when he owned 3/4 of the Atlanta sports scene things were much betetr (at least in the mid-90s).

Thank you for posting that. What he said was a far cry from calling the fans unsophisticated and without a clue. He was referring to the one fan who asked the question about the 7 owners and saying we will never win with that many owners and I don't blame him for calling out the fan in that instance for being incorrect and I'm sure it's very frustrating for him to continually hear the same things over and over. He specifically referred at least twice to the drafting of Yi rumors because of his business interests in China which are ridiculous because he doesn't even have any business interest in China.

It sounded to be like a very positive interview and somewhat backs up what I was saying before the All-Star break that Woody deserved to have a real PG brought in to run the show for the rest of the season to prove whether he belongs coaching on this level or not. From what I gathered if the team fails for the remainder of the season we could definitely see some changes in the front office and coaching and and if we do fail I hope that is the case.

The fact that this leaked out basically makes any answer Michael Gearon Jr or any other member of the ASG can give a wrong answer.

They could have come out and said that there had been no discussions about firing Mike Woodson, and the fans would have called them a liar for doing it.

Had they come out and stated what you just said, then it basically cements the lame duck status of the coach.

If they had come out and given Mike a vote of confidence, everyone would have interpreted that as the kiss of death.

There was no right answer in this situation. This is news that Sekou should have sat on with the Hawks in the playoff race.