• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Belkin Poll

TroyMcClure

Quote:

Totally wrong AtlaS....no offence but Belkin is the only "basketball man" in this crew. We would be MUCH better off with Belkin as our (sole) owner. BK would be fired - Woody would be fired.

and by the way - I am so sick and flocking tired of people saying that Belkin was flocking up the JJ trade - - - he WASN"T...all he was doing was protecting assets. If Belkin had his way we would still have Joe "30 wins" Johnson and we would have our 1st round draft pick this year.

Just to clear a slight issue up, Belkin actually has LESS NBA experience than Gearon Sr. who was the Hawks GM in the 70s. I think that does qualify Sr as having more experience as a basketball man. Nonetheless Gearon Sr's son is an IDIOT when it comes to running a team.

I just want the team sold to a local person who has the means and wherewithal to get the team going in the right direction.

Even if Belkin somehow gains control of the team, he doesn't have the finances to compete w/ the richer owners. Belkin would have to bring in another group to run the teams; thus we are back in the same damn dilemma .

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

[i agree completely with everything you have said, I wanted Woody gone 3 years ago. But just because the ATL Spirit sucks doesn't mean Belkin will make things better, he won't. It would be like trading Zaza for Brian Scalabrine. I'd rather not have either of them, but I'd rather at least have the one that "somewhat" cares about the team.

in

san

ity

Quote:

Belkin will not improve this team.

Its replacing a bad situation with something much much worse.

I agree. I'll take the buffoons who mean well over the evil guy. Of course we'd all rather have neither, but, you know...

It's like, would you rather have George W Bush or Stalin ruling your country?

Quote:

It's like, would you rather have George W Bush or Stalin ruling your country?

That's a terrible analogy. George Bush is one of the biggest flat out liars in American History. All I know about Belkin is that he didn't agree or get along with what, to myself and many others, is the biggest joke of an ownership group in sports history.

Belkin as Stalin? Get real. If the ASG were secretely making millions and costing lives in the process, you may have a case for the Bush analogy. But seriously. You know what jokes these guys are. It just can't get any worse. Get over the Belkin fears. It's the only solution. These guys won't sell. They'll just lose. We(fans) lose if that happens.

The ASG are clearly incompetent. Nobody is arguing otherwise. But despite the fact that I think Belkin is smarter than they are, I'd rather have the ASG. Belkin blocked that JJ trade as the team governor when his responsibility as team governor was to reflect the opinion of the majority of the owners. Instead, he reflected only his own opinion. He can't be trusted, and while the chances of building a championship caliber team are greater under Belkin than the ASG, the chances of the Hawks being operated permanently on the cheap or even NBA basketball leaving Atlanta altogether are also much greater under Belkin than the ASG.

Quote:

You dont trust Belkin. But, you trust the ASG? We have one party that has already proven to be lousy and another party that we dont know about.

Hmmm. I'll take the one I don't know. The worst he could be is lousy like what we have now.

If he can do what he's done to the ASG, what else is he capable of? While the ASG has been lousy, at least we don't have to worry about them trying to move the franchise.

What has he done to the ASG? Fight for some extra cash? Wow. What an idiot he is, trying to maximize his interests.

This Belkin hysteria is like a good folk story, it gets better and better. He gets more evil every time the story gets told.

All I know is he was against giving up so much for JJ. He felt like we could get him for less because Sarver was a cheap bastard. Turns out Sarver sells 1st round picks and auctions off key talent due to luxury tax worries so Belkin looks smart. He wasnt against JJ, just that BK was dropping his pants around his ankles. Yeah, BK has been so damn smart, we should trust he was making a great deal right? How could Belkin ever question BK?

The other fact is that Belkin has never stated his side in public. So, all the cutting payroll stuff was from the ASG. They went public with a position that he was against the JJ deal when I have since learned that he was for the JJ deal but against sending TWO #1 picks. He knew Sarver and he knew that he wasn't paying the tax. So he felt we could get him for less. What an evil guy.

He seems more nimble to me, more on the ball than the ASG. Naw, we wouldnt want that would we? Oh, and for all the people worried about him moving the team we have a thing called a lease in place. He can't move the team if he wanted.

Quote:

as long as belkin doesnt move the team from atlanta hes fine with me

Couldn't agree more. As bad as we feel right now, imagine how much worse it would be for the team to be sold, move, then have the 'lightbulb' pop on and start winning? Just ask longtime residents in Cleveland, Quebec City, Hartford, LA, Houston, Minneapolis, and Baltimore how it felt to watch their original teams leave town, only to play for and/or win Super Bowls and Stanley Cups somewhere else. I even recall the Atlanta Flames never making it beyond the first round of the playoffs, only to hoist up a Stanley Cup a few years later in Calgary. How many more could they have played for with, say, Ted Turner's money, especially considering how bad the Braves and Falcons were in the '80s? They would've owned this town by now; instead, we're in year 9, waiting on the expansion-esque Thrashers to win its first postseason game. That was equivalent to swallowing a tub full of your own bile, watching Calgary celebrate when its original city couldn't get a team beyond the second round of anything at the time.

I want my payoff for all the years of being a Hawks fan and I want it here, not by watching them celebrate in St. Louis, Birmingham, Las Vegas, or Kansas City. I want it for watching Kasten, Babs, and BK blow draft pick after draft pick. I want it for all the years of watching Nique have to carry an entire franchise on his back while Isiah, MJ, Bird, Magic, Ewing, Barkley, and Hakeem had plenty of help to shoulder the load. I want it for watching Terry Stotts single-handedly kill the Hawks' chances of drafting Dwight Howard by allowing Bobby Sura to come off the injured list and play out of his mind for another contract. I want it for having to stomach the likes of Ennis Whatley, Jim Les, Predrag Drobnac, and countless others. Nothing less than an NBA title will do.

I'm sure I'm not alone....

GAME, SET, MATCH.

Quote:

What has he done to the ASG? Fight for some extra cash? Wow. What an idiot he is, trying to maximize his interests.

This Belkin hysteria is like a good folk story, it gets better and better. He gets more evil every time the story gets told.

All I know is he was against giving up so much for JJ. He felt like we could get him for less because Sarver was a cheap bastard. Turns out Sarver sells 1st round picks and auctions off key talent due to luxury tax worries so Belkin looks smart. He wasnt against JJ, just that BK was dropping his pants around his ankles. Yeah, BK has been so damn smart, we should trust he was making a great deal right? How could Belkin ever question BK?

The other fact is that Belkin has never stated his side in public. So, all the cutting payroll stuff was from the ASG. They went public with a position that he was against the JJ deal when I have since learned that he was for the JJ deal but against sending TWO #1 picks. He knew Sarver and he knew that he wasn't paying the tax. So he felt we could get him for less. What an evil guy.

He seems more nimble to me, more on the ball than the ASG. Naw, we wouldnt want that would we? Oh, and for all the people worried about him moving the team we have a thing called a lease in place. He can't move the team if he wanted.

Regardless of how you feel about the JJ trade, Belkin went against the agreed upon decision making process. If his partners could not trust him to follow specifically defined decision process, how far are you willing to trust him? How far would a trading partner be willing to trust him? How far would a FA signee be willing to trust him?

Sorry. I'll pass. Once you lose your credibility, it takes a lot to get it back. The stakes in the NBA are often too high to take on additional risk.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Regardless of how you feel about the JJ trade, Belkin went against the agreed upon decision making process. If his partners could not trust him to follow specifically defined decision process, how far are you willing to trust him? How far would a trading partner be willing to trust him? How far would a FA signee be willing to trust him?

Sorry. I'll pass. Once you lose your credibility, it takes a lot to get it back. The stakes in the NBA are often too high to take on additional risk.

Agreed. I have said my peace on this repeated times but Belkin deliberately provoked the unworkable infighting, legal battles with legal restrictions on the team, and the unprecedently bad ownership situation (which is different that simply bad owners) we have had to endure the past 5 or so years. Then he has deliberately prolonged it by stretching out the legal part of the case (for example, prolonging the appeals process) because he doesn't care about the success of the team only what gives him more leverage in his dispute. Belkin doesn't give the slightest crap about the city of Atlanta and the risk of him trying to move the team if he can finagle a way out of the lease is very real (realize that with no way to legally take over the team he has already tried to do that at least twice). I want no part of him as owner.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed. I have said my peace on this repeated times but Belkin deliberately provoked the unworkable infighting, legal battles with legal restrictions on the team, and the unprecedently bad ownership situation (which is different that simply bad owners) we have had to endure the past 5 or so years. Then he has deliberately prolonged it by stretching out the legal part of the case (for example, prolonging the appeals process) because he doesn't care about the success of the team only what gives him more leverage in his dispute. Belkin doesn't give the slightest crap about the city of Atlanta and the risk of him trying to move the team if he can finagle a way out of the lease is very real (realize that with no way to legally take over the team he has already tried to do that at least twice). I want no part of him as owner.

With the recent revelation that the Spirit group did not want BK to fire Woody it is hard to argue that the unprecedently bad ownership situation is not an altogether simple "bad owners" issue.

• Moderators

Quote:

With the recent revelation that the Spirit group did not want BK to fire Woody it is hard to argue that the unprecedently bad ownership situation is not an altogether simple "bad owners" issue.

I am not sure I follow. I understand how wanting to keep Woody over the recommendation of your GM is bad ownership. I don't understand why anyone would doubt the damage the legal restrictions and infighting have had on this team or its reputation. Owners believing too much in bad management is not that unusual (Knicks with Isiah; Minny; etc.) but what we have been through with the inability to sign FAs to contracts that are available to every other team in the league; the public humiliation and brand damage from all the legal f-ups; etc. is beyond simple bad ownership. And the big thing is that Belkin has done nothing but deliberately try to inflame the situation rather than make it better because he can save a few pennies while the ASG assumes the operating costs for the teams and at the same time put pressure on the ASG by being as big an obstacle as possible for the team to run in the interim. It is an effective strategy to try to force a bigger buyout or to win a legal battle by attrition but it is also one that is deliberately geared toward wrecking the team in the interim. I want my owner to love his team - not trash it deliberately.

My thing is I don't thin the Spirit group has what it takes to own this team. They have made so many mistakes, first with agreeing to partner with Belkin, then letting him get the upper hand with some poorly drafted agreements, and now with not wanting Woodson fired.

Firing Woodson does not involve a money issue. Fire him, pay him what he is due for the balance of the year and promote one of the assistants to run the team for the last two months of the season. Obviously you don't want BK hiring a replacement, because he is on the way out, but that has nothing to do with naming an interim head coach for the balance of the season.

Quote:

It is an effective strategy to try to force a bigger buyout or to win a legal battle by attrition but it is also one that is deliberately geared toward wrecking the team in the interim. I want my owner to love his team - not trash it deliberately.

Point of fact is that it's not "his team" and he shouldn't act that way in a winner take all court battle, imo. I hear you about loving the team, but I'd rather have an owner that didn't pee on my head and tell me it's raining.

If you really love something that you are hurting... set it free, right? These guys don't love the Hawks, AHF. They are too stupid to actually understand the game enough to love it. I think that has been proven. It doesn't get worse than this. Belkin simply could do no worse.

So, in my mind, the only chance is with change. Obama style. We need sweeping changes. Belkin could be a catalyst for that change. A - It can't get worse. B - Belkin would probably want to sell the team after all of this, which would be good. C - Even if he doesn't sell, refer to A.

Quote:

Quote:

It is an effective strategy to try to force a bigger buyout or to win a legal battle by attrition but it is also one that is deliberately geared toward wrecking the team in the interim. I want my owner to love his team - not trash it deliberately.

Point of fact is that it's not "his team" and he shouldn't act that way in a winner take all court battle, imo. I hear you about loving the team, but I'd rather have an owner that didn't pee on my head and tell me it's raining.

If you really love something that you are hurting... set it free, right? These guys don't love the Hawks, AHF. They are too stupid to actually understand the game enough to love it. I think that has been proven. It doesn't get worse than this. Belkin simply could do no worse.

So, in my mind, the only chance is with change. Obama style. We need sweeping changes. Belkin could be a catalyst for that change. A - It can't get worse. B - Belkin would probably want to sell the team after all of this, which would be good. C - Even if he doesn't sell, refer to A.

I disagree. It can get worse if a money hungry owner with no ties to the city or love for the team gets full control and opts to move the team to another market because he thinks he could make more money there.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I disagree. It can get worse if a money hungry owner with no ties to the city or love for the team gets full control and opts to move the team to another market because he thinks he could make more money there.

There is a long lease in place and he couldn't move the team if he wanted. So................