• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Peter Vescey article about Larry Brown and Hawks

NJHAWK

Its in todays NY Post. He really doesnt say much except Woody is prolly out even if we make the playoffs. He says Brown would prolly turn down an offer from Memphis and that he would more than likely take the Hawks job. He also says if Woody and the Hawks win a round in the playoffs that Woody will more than likely stay.

Did anyone read the whole thing? I didn't know this had happened but it doesn't surprise me. That man is so full of himself. What a tool. Deke is one of the 5 greatest defensive players ever in the history of the game, he's 7ft and commands double teams at like 55 or whatever he actually is. He's been a big part of a team with a 20+ game winning streak... 4 years after he was told this. Isiah could sure as hell dribble and score, but he's an absolute savant. He has no idea how you actually win games consistently.

I like Deke even more for hating Isiah.

Here the bit:

On the night Dikembe Mutombo was honored by the Rockets and David Stern, he unexpectedly revisited the heavy-duty disrespect delivered by Isiah Thomas when they were briefly together with the Knicks.

"It's still a wound," Mutombo said. "My wife and I still talk about it. It's still a bit sad to see the commissioner coming and all those people coming to celebrate the 17 years of my career and accomplishments and you look back about four years ago, and I had a guy tell me that I couldn't play basketball no more, to go to the beach and onto vacation.

"That's the same guy who's losing his job tomorrow. I never said nothing (to Thomas)," he added. "The last time we played at the Garden (Jan. 9), my wife asked me to go shake his hand, to just forgive him. I went and shook his hand and I told him, 'On behalf of my wife, I want to shake your hand, and I forgive you for everything you've done to me.' "

Quote:

Hiring Larrry Brown in any capacity would be just PLAIN stupid. In the wake of this ownership nightmare, this team needs stability AND credibility. Brown offers one and nothing close to the other.

Stability is one thing,Becuse Brown has moved around alot. But i can't see how Hiring Larry Brown Wouldn't bring Credibility to our team.

If you bring in a Coach that has ...

1.Won a championship with the Pistons

2.Went to the finals with the Sixers

3.has over 1000 wins

4. Over 500. in the playoffs

5.Pacer in eastern confrence finals

6. former coach of the year.

That brings instant Credibility to the team IMO.

Hawks had, at one time, "The winningest coach in the NBA."

Did this give us credibility? Wasn't all his fault that we didn't wim more but, we all

remember those days. Would this coach be so much better? Gotta wonder.

I don't get all these Larry Brown haters. The man has won a championship and managed to coexist with a young AI. I think Brown would be a great fit for our young guys who need some discipline. He might not be the best coach available for our team, but now way would it be stupid.

Even if he does leave after 2 years, I'd take it. The Pistons have done ok since he left.

Hmm. So one of the best basketball coaches in NBA history does not offer credibility to this team? A coach that has done nothing but turn bad teams around in his entire NBA career.

Larry Brown would be a Godsend to this team, and most of it is because he has credibility. It's like Bill Parcells in football. Everyone knows he will only be around for 4 years maybe, but everyone also knows that everywhere he has been, the team he has been with has gotten better. The only exception for Larry Brown was the New York Knicks, and without a complete roster haul, Red Auerbach couldn't win with the Knicks.

That is the problem with the Larry Brown doubters. They only remember what happen with the Knicks and completely ignore what he has done before that. It would have been a bad idea bringing Brown in a few years ago. Now that this team has grown up and know the league now. It is a good time to bring in a coach such as Brown.

Quote:

That is the problem with the Larry Brown doubters. They only remember what happen with the Knicks and completely ignore what he has done before that. It would have been a bad idea bringing Brown in a few years ago. Now that this team has grown up and know the league now. It is a good time to bring in a coach such as Brown.

I think Larry realizes his legacy was tarnished after the Knicks debacle and is looking to fix that. He does seem like the type of guy who has a big ego and wants to be seen as a great basketball coach... fixing the Hawks would certainly do that. So his self absorption could work to our advantage.

Quote:

Hmm. So one of the best basketball coaches in NBA history does not offer credibility to this team? A coach that has done nothing but turn bad teams around in his entire NBA career.

Credibility, obviously. Stability, puh-lease. Sorry, this ownership group has never shown any sense of urgency. How do you go from a position that appears to suggest they don't care to hiring a mercenary who may stay 2 seasons? Isn't there a middle state? Like any one of the several qualfied former coaches who could come here and enjoy a good 4-6 year run? Like Van Gundy? If we hire LB and give him other exec dutires, he may pull a Riley and go AWOL at the first sign of trouble. NO THANKS.

Quote:

Quote:

Credibility, obviously. Stability, puh-lease. Sorry, this ownership group has never shown any sense of urgency. How do you go from a position that appears to suggest they don't care to hiring a mercenary who may stay 2 seasons? Isn't there a middle state? Like any one of the several qualfied former coaches who could come here and enjoy a good 4-6 year run? Like Van Gundy? If we hire LB and give him other exec dutires, he may pull a Riley and go AWOL at the first sign of trouble. NO THANKS.

I agree. LB is closer to Bobby Petrino than Phil Jackson. If you don't like Woody's style, you will not comprehend LB. I really do not have an answer for coach, but it isn't Larry Brown.

I agree. LB is closer to Bobby Petrino than Phil Jackson. If you don't like Woody's style, you will not comprehend LB. I really do not have an answer for coach, but it isn't Larry Brown.

How can you make that comparison ?

Petrino has never won a college Championship.

Larry Brown won it all at Kansas ? How many Championships has Kansas had since ?

Petrino barely had a sniff at the of the Pro Level.

Brown won his NBA Championship without the benefit that Phil Jackson had (Jordan, Pippen, Kobe, Shaq). Brown won his Championship without the benefit of any superstar. Chauncy Billups (their Team MVP the championship year) was a journey-man before Brown got a hold of him and Billups continiues to credit Coach Brown for it to this day.

Brown has been a winner ever where he is gone except for the train wreck of a roster he inherited in NY.

No reason to think Brown cannot better this team.

I have no doubt that Brown can coach.

Brown also can develop players, even though he prefers more seasoned vets.

The current Hawks roster would benefit from a guy who knows how to manage the game and the season (both of which are Woody's most glaring faults).

The draw-backs of Brown are:

- He's a vagabound. We will have him at most for 4 years, but more likely 3

- He prefers a slow-down game

Benefits:

- can manage the team

- garners respect from the players and can deal with prima-dona personalities effectively

- can get the most from players that have failed elsewhere

- puts players into a position to succeed instead of failing

Overall, Brown has more pluses than minuses. I am not a huge Brown fan, but the Hawks could do much worse than Brown.

For me, I would like to see if Brown can get into Marvin's ear and get the kid to play consistantly and productively. Marvin seems like a guy that needs someone who can push his buttons. Woodson doesn't seem like he could motivate a flea to jump.

Bibby also could improve under Brown as his defense would have to improve.

Lastly, Brown has really developed some post guys in the past. Heck, even Curry played better under Brown than anyone else. Imagine what Brown could do with a great kid like Horford?

• Moderators

Peter Vescey predicting it guarantees it won't come true.

Brown's a good coach. He'd get us in the playoffs but as soon as he finds interest in another job will become a huge distraction and a financial drain when he forces a buyout.

Quote:

Brown's a good coach. He'd get us in the playoffs but as soon as he finds interest in another job will become a huge distraction and a financial drain when he forces a buyout.

Normally I would agree with you about Vescey, but its not just Vescey saying that Brown has some attration with the Hawks, Seven A. also has mentioned it. Furthermore, Brown was at a home game in Feb, just about the time that the Sekou story broke on Billy wanting to fire Woodson. What I have found with the Hawks is that they can't keep a secret. At least 1/2 of the rumors with this club come true, and the other half don't because the owners can't get it together. Vescey probably has an in with Belkin, so that is why Pete actually gets rumors correct with the Hawks.

• Moderators

Quote:

I have no doubt that Brown can coach.

Brown also can develop players, even though he prefers more seasoned vets.

The current Hawks roster would benefit from a guy who knows how to manage the game and the season (both of which are Woody's most glaring faults).

The draw-backs of Brown are:

- He's a vagabound. We will have him at most for 4 years, but more likely 3

- He prefers a slow-down game

Benefits:

- can manage the team

- garners respect from the players and can deal with prima-dona personalities effectively

- can get the most from players that have failed elsewhere

- puts players into a position to succeed instead of failing

Overall, Brown has more pluses than minuses. I am not a huge Brown fan, but the Hawks could do much worse than Brown.

For me, I would like to see if Brown can get into Marvin's ear and get the kid to play consistantly and productively. Marvin seems like a guy that needs someone who can push his buttons. Woodson doesn't seem like he could motivate a flea to jump.

Bibby also could improve under Brown as his defense would have to improve.

Lastly, Brown has really developed some post guys in the past. Heck, even Curry played better under Brown than anyone else. Imagine what Brown could do with a great kid like Horford?

This reflects a lot of what I think of Brown. The Parcells comparison to me is a good one, the Petrino comparison isn't. For Brown, I would love to have him coaching in Atlanta next year but don't want him to have personnel control!

Quote:

Quote:

Normally I would agree with you about Vescey, but its not just Vescey saying that Brown has some attration with the Hawks, Seven A. also has mentioned it. Furthermore, Brown was at a home game in Feb, just about the time that the Sekou story broke on Billy wanting to fire Woodson. What I have found with the Hawks is that they can't keep a secret. At least 1/2 of the rumors with this club come true, and the other half don't because the owners can't get it together. Vescey probably has an in with Belkin, so that is why Pete actually gets rumors correct with the Hawks.

I found it funny that people whine when the FO don't speak out and they whine when they do speak (or leak) out.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I found it funny that people whine when the FO don't speak out and they whine when they do speak (or leak) out.

The Shelden/Solo leak made the organization look terrible, IMO. This sort of leak would not be ideal by any means and could demoralize the current coach and shouldn't be applauded either if it was intentionally leaked. I think what frustrates me about the FO is the "everything is hunky-dory, move along there's nothing to see here" line of public comment.

Taking the Thrashers as an example, it was obvious they should have unloaded all their expiring talent at the trade deadline once they started shopping Hossa around. Instead, they did a "we had not choice but to trade Hossa but don't stop loving us because we are still going for the playoffs because everything is super, thanks for asking!" It makes the team look bad when it is obvious they are out of contention and should be building for the future. I don't mind being optimistic but give us something we can relate to, whether it is a PR stunt or not.