• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jeff Schultz:Playoffs guarantees nothing for Wood

Plainview1981

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...guarantees.html

Hawks’ playoff berth guarantees nothing for Woodson, Knight

By Jeff Schultz | Tuesday, April 1, 2008, 07:17 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

After eight straight seasons of misery, three straight last-place finishes, so many luckless draft lotteries and, maybe worst of all, the final days of Alan Henderson, the Hawks are close to completing perhaps the biggest exorcism in franchise history. They are nearing a playoff berth.

These moments generally are celebrated by the thirsty masses. Strangely, the Hawks seem to have no masses, at least none that are celebrating..........

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, Woodson has to go whether we make the playoffs or not. His furstraing inability to make adjustments during halftime, questionable substitutions ALL YEAR, lack of developing players, etc etc is pathetic. A playoff berth in this pathetic East this year should NOT allow Woodson to keep his job.

Although, I know just about everyone (notably a few that I know will immediately rush in to discredit these comments) will say he should stay. Oh well, to each his own for the love of mediocrity.

Quote:

Quote:

Although, I know just about everyone (notably a few that I know will immediately rush in to discredit these comments) will say he should stay.

You sure about that? I haven't seen a single person on this board say they want Woodson around next year.

That is true. However, I was referring to his future here IF we made the playoffs. A LOT of those who defend Woodson believe he should stay if we make it either into the playoffs or deep into them. I say there is nothing that should happen that should keep him here for next year.

Quote:

lack of developing players

If Woody wasn't developing his players then why are all of our talented young players better every year? Is he being judged for not developing guys that belong in the NBDL like Solo and Salim? So he gets no credit for taking a guy that people say couldn't do anything but jump in his rookie year to turning into one of the best young players in the game in Smoove? Show me another coach that has had this many young players and done so much better. Is Woody not allowed to have growing pains like young players are? If making the playoffs this year and winning more games every year than the previous year isn't a sign of success then what must he do in order to achieve success in your eyes? Obviously you guys that want Woody gone are using an emotional argument because you won't set a bar for the Hawks to achieve in order to call this season a success and therefore bring Woody back.

Since Woody was FINALLY given a legit PG to run his team we are looking like a pretty damn good team but he doesn't seem to get any credit for that which is laughable. Not once have the players ever quit on Woody and yet that counts for nothing with some of you.

Woody certainly has flaws and perhaps the biggest is his substitution pattern but there is a good chance that if Woody had bench players that he could trust his substitutions would be a hell of a lot better. Can you blame him for not wanting to take the starters out when our bench can't hold a lead and we are fighting for a playoff spot?

I've come to the conclusion that BK is relatively safe, but Woodson might as well start packing.

There was something in the comments he made at the Town Hall last week. He didn't throw Woody under the bus, but he certainly made no effort to defend him.

I think BK has things in the pipeline (Andersen, etc.) and will be allowed to stick around. And to put them out there in front of the STH like that and then dump him weeks later would be low, even for the ASG.

Quote:

Quote:

Since Woody was FINALLY given a legit PG to run his team we are looking like a pretty damn good team but he doesn't seem to get any credit for that which is laughable. Not once have the players ever quit on Woody and yet that counts for nothing with some of you.

Wha??? You need to look at reality. Almost every team the Hawks have beat since the start of 2008 sucks really bad with a few exceptions. Nowhere CLOSE to being a good team. You got to have a few more quality wins first.

You are probably right, Woody will probably be gone unless we upset Boston or Detroit in the 1st round. At that point they couldn't fire Woody since that would be a major achievement. However, that is a long shot and most likely we will have a fairly quick first round exit and Woody will be let go. BK certainly deserves another year but this will be a critical year for him to bring in the players that we need to make it to the next level and he will also have to make a good hire with the new coach. It seems like a lot of people are wanting Larry Brown but I am very hesitant to accept him as our new coach since he doesn't stay anywhere long. If you fire Woody though you almost have to bring in a veteran coach so that would probably rule out the guy that I would like to see hired, Mark Jackson. He will get a shot someday and I think he will be an excellent coach.

• Premium Member

They both need to go. Dang how can BK stay wha has he done???????

He didn't draft Chris Paul, he did draft Sheldon Williams, Horford fell into his lap. BK is no better than Woody!!!

I think the players have certainly improved under Woody, but a major failure of Woody's in my eyes is his failure to mold them and focus their development in ways that make sense for us (and them). For instance Smith should have stopped shooting threes and been in the post in year 2. That's the main reason I wanted Al gone. There seems to be no foresight by Woody, ever, and let the players develop in whatever way they want.

Do you think Woody should stay if we make the playoffs and lose to Boston in say 5 games? (and why?)

So you think Woody should keep his job?

My biggest problem with him is that he seems to have zero control over Smith. A real coach would not allow him to keep throwing up those 10% shots he likes to take about 4 times a game.

That, and he seems to not understand how to sub players in and out when they get in foul trouble. If someone has two fouls you don't have to leave them on the bench until midway through the third.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

They both need to go. Dang how can
BK stay wha has he done???????

He didn't draft Chris Paul, he did draft Sheldon Williams, Horford fell into his lap. BK is no better than Woody!!!

Got JJ for basically nothing

Got Bibby for Sheldon

Got Horford

Got Josh Smith

Are you kidding me!

1) Bibby is a defensive downgrade, a streaky offensive player, and a $14.5 million player.

2) Think of all the players considered better than the players BK has drafted...Iggy, Deng, Paul, Deron, Roy, Foye, Gay, ham sandwich. IMO Yi will be in this list in 2 years. Regardless, no GM in NBA history has passed on 2 consecutive ROY and 2 all-stars amongst considered players in consecutive years. Tack on the unbelievable SW "promise". It is perhaps the most knuckle headed 3 year series of GM drafting decisions in NBA history.

3) JS was a hometown hero. You couldn't NOT draft him.

I don't think it's completely fair to criticize Woody's control over Smoove when part of the reason that Smoove has developed into such a well rounded player has been his freedom to try new things. I would like to see Smoove take it upon himself as a professional to do the things that he should be doing but Woody does share in some of the blame for that.

I don't think it matters whether we go 4 or 5 games. The key will be whether we compete every game. If we get swept in 4 games and get blown out then yeah Woody is definitely a goner. If we compete hard but still lose each game by a few points I would say it's a toss up. Even if we win 1 game and look awful in the losses Woody will probably gone. I would rather see 4 close losses than 4 blowouts and 1 win.

His substitution patterns are definitely questionable. If he had a few more bench players that he trusted to play solid minutes maybe his substitutions would be better, maybe not. I think with fouls he knows how some of our players tend to pick up fouls in bunches and he worries about losing them. It's probably hard to see your players are 3rd and 4th year veterans when you still remember almost all of them as non-trustworthy rookies.

Quote:

Quote:

lack of developing players

If Woody wasn't developing his players then why are all of our talented young players better every year? Is he being judged for not developing guys that belong in the NBDL like Solo and Salim? So he gets no credit for taking a guy that people say couldn't do anything but jump in his rookie year to turning into one of the best young players in the game in Smoove? Show me another coach that has had this many young players and done so much better. Is Woody not allowed to have growing pains like young players are? If making the playoffs this year and winning more games every year than the previous year isn't a sign of success then what must he do in order to achieve success in your eyes? Obviously you guys that want Woody gone are using an emotional argument because you won't set a bar for the Hawks to achieve in order to call this season a success and therefore bring Woody back.

Woody certainly has flaws and perhaps the biggest is his substitution pattern but there is a good chance that if Woody had bench players that he could trust his substitutions would be a hell of a lot better. Can you blame him for not wanting to take the starters out when our bench can't hold a lead and we are fighting for a playoff spot?

I didnt bother reading all of it because I know the angle you are coming from. Woodson has not done A GOOD a job at developing players as a real head coach should. Salim, Solo, Acie, and many others come to mind. Inconsistent PT and many other factors contribute to this.

It is what it is.