• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

lack of developing players

If Woody wasn't developing his players then why are all of our talented young players better every year? Is he being judged for not developing guys that belong in the NBDL like Solo and Salim? So he gets no credit for taking a guy that people say couldn't do anything but jump in his rookie year to turning into one of the best young players in the game in Smoove? Show me another coach that has had this many young players and done so much better. Is Woody not allowed to have growing pains like young players are? If making the playoffs this year and winning more games every year than the previous year isn't a sign of success then what must he do in order to achieve success in your eyes? Obviously you guys that want Woody gone are using an emotional argument because you won't set a bar for the Hawks to achieve in order to call this season a success and therefore bring Woody back.

Since Woody was FINALLY given a legit PG to run his team we are looking like a pretty damn good team but he doesn't seem to get any credit for that which is laughable. Not once have the players ever quit on Woody and yet that counts for nothing with some of you.

Woody certainly has flaws and perhaps the biggest is his substitution pattern but there is a good chance that if Woody had bench players that he could trust his substitutions would be a hell of a lot better. Can you blame him for not wanting to take the starters out when our bench can't hold a lead and we are fighting for a playoff spot?

Dude, you are so wrong...as usual....your perspective is flawed....not surprised...Woody is GARBAGE

• Premium Member

Quote:

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...guarantees.html

Hawks’ playoff berth guarantees nothing for Woodson, Knight

By Jeff Schultz | Tuesday, April 1, 2008, 07:17 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

After eight straight seasons of misery, three straight last-place finishes, so many luckless draft lotteries and, maybe worst of all, the final days of Alan Henderson, the Hawks are close to completing perhaps the biggest exorcism in franchise history. They are nearing a playoff berth.

These moments generally are celebrated by the thirsty masses. Strangely, the Hawks seem to have no masses, at least none that are celebrating..........

After reading the article, it seems to me that Gearon Jr. doesn't want us to have a playoff run so that he can fire some people. Why be vague about what is success. Why say " I don't know if we will make the playoffs" Huh?

Quote:

His substitution patterns are definitely questionable. If he had a few more bench players that he trusted to play solid minutes maybe his substitutions would be better, maybe not. I think with fouls he knows how some of our players tend to pick up fouls in bunches and he worries about losing them. It's probably hard to see your players are 3rd and 4th year veterans when you still remember almost all of them as non-trustworthy rookies.

Dol, if you think about it, this is exactly why Woody needs to be replaced. If he doesn't trust the guys he's developed, then he has no business coaching them now.

I agree with your points about not having enough of a bench to trust, but at some point you have to play with what you have. Woodson could have built the bench's confidence early in the season, but he didn't.

Along these same lines, coaches do wear out their welcome with players. After a while players just stop listening to the same story. New leadership is needed.

and actually win a couple of games in the first round, I can't say I would be mad if we brought him back. He has certainly done some good things with this team and player development has to go on top of that list. Anyone who says they don't see SIGNIFCANT improvement in the games of Chillz, Smoove, Marv and Horford are either biased or blind.

In addition, the team looks MUCH better on offense now that we have a good PG. If we continue to average the 103+ ppg that we have averaged since Bibby arrived, I think it will be clear that the absence of a good PG was a bigger problem than Woody's offensive system.

The problem I continue to have with Woody is his game management/substitution patterns. Some games he does okay with those things but more often than not, he does something (or the team does something) that has me yelling at him from the stands (or yelling at the TV) in frustration. At times like this, I just wonder if he will EVER improve enough in those areas to allow the team to realize it's full potential. I just don't know if he is the guy that can get this team to the next level.

The bottom line for me is that how we finish the season should certainly be taken into consideration with regard to Woody's future. If we go say 6-2 over these last 8 (wow, wouldn't that be great) and make a positive showing in the playoffs (2 wins or more in the 1st round), I wouldn't be mad if we brought Woody back. However, if we play .500 ball or less from here on out, squeak into the playoffs and get slaughtered in the first round, I think it is time for a change.

The Hawks players don't even appear remotely close to feeling like they want Woody gone since they play hard for him every night, especially when they probably could have had him fired by bombing games around the All-Star break.

I have to disagree about playing guys that don't deserve to be playing, at least during a playoff run. I've said this before but Woody isn't anywhere close to the first guy to ever have a 7-8 man rotation and others have been very successful with it. If he can't trust our bench scrubs (and who can blame him) then he shouldn't play them at the cost of us losing games.

He may very well not be the coach that can take us to the next level but until he has had the chance to prove that he can or cannot do it we would be foolish to fire him. I wonder if the assistant coaches shouldn't be doing a better job of helping Woody manage the minutes of the players. That might be a common thing in the league to do and our guys might be tasked with it, or it might not be common at all, but I think it would be a good idea. That's definitely his biggest weakness because he can definitely coach defense and apparently a good offense as well now that he has a PG that can finally run the team.

I agree with your assessment of keeping/firing Woody based on how we finish the season and perform in the playoffs. That seems fair to me.

How about how he has developed our young draft picks into good/very good players, we have gotten better every season, we are 4th best in the EC at home, and are about to make the playoffs for the first time in a decade. Considering he was given an awful team 4 years and hasn't had a veteran other than Joe he could depend on until the Bibby trade I would say that's pretty impressive.

I guess we just see things differently. I'm not convinced he's developed the young guys more than any other coach could have, and I think Josh Smith has definitely developed more because of his desire and off-season workouts with Hakeem and co.

The things I see Woodson do during the games don't give me a lot of confidence that he does a lot of good behind the scenes, but who knows. None of us go to the practices. I'll give you that they haven't quit on him, but that might just be because we have good guys on the team.

Quote:

The Hawks players don't even appear remotely close to feeling like they want Woody gone since they play hard for him every night, especially when they probably could have had him fired by bombing games around the All-Star break.

I have to disagree about playing guys that don't deserve to be playing, at least during a playoff run. I've said this before but Woody isn't anywhere close to the first guy to ever have a 7-8 man rotation and others have been very successful with it. If he can't trust our bench scrubs (and who can blame him) then he shouldn't play them at the cost of us losing games.

Again, I agree with some of your sentiments but not all of them. The fact of the matter is that the Hawks did bomb around the All-Star game. Did the players quit on Woodson? I can't answer that question, as there is evidence that both supports and refutes; however, that stretch cost the Hawks a chance at the 5th slot in the playoffs.

As I said in my earlier reply, Woodson needed to develop the bench earlier in the season. I agree that during the playoff run you have to run with your 8 best. But just like during the Lenny era, no bench= no playoff success. The guys are too tired to handle the load night in and night out. The better coaches find ways to get guys some rest during the season and during the playoffs.

For me, I keep thinking what this team would look like with a better coach. I don't think anyone could argue that Woodson is in the same class as the top-tier coaches in the NBA. If that is the case, isn't it incumbent upon management to seek the best coaches for the players and the good of the organization?

• Moderators

On another note this is an example of a good columnist. He writes something that is interesting and provides information we don't already know. (That the Spirit isn't committing to BK or Woody and by his statements seems to be delibrately vague so they don't look bad firing them even if they have some success in the playoffs.)