• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woud You Trade: Josh Smith for Elton Brand?

vdunkndunk

I think Elton Brand, in a sign-and-trade for Josh Smith, would make us a top 3 team in the Eastern Conference.

Why for the Hawks? Brand would give us the post scoring we desparately need, plus he's a better rebounder than Smith and would block nearly as many shots (he has career numbers of 20 ppg, 10 rpg, 2 bpg, and .500 fgp). He just turned 31 last month, which would give him at least 2-3 years of dominance and several more years of solid play. Joe Johnson would be a terror with Brand demanding a double team in the post and Bibby and Marvin spreading the defense on the perimeter.

Why for the Clippers? They get an exciting young player with a ton of potential who has already been very productive and could be a draw in L.A. for years to come.

PG: Mike Bibby, Acie Law

SG: Joe Johnson, Josh Childress

SF: Marvin Williams, Josh Childress

PF: Elton Brand, David Anderson

CR: Al Horford, Zaza Pachulia

Is this possible? Would you do it?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I love Brand but he is coming off of an Achilles injury that he is rushing back from and his production will likely decline annually from here on out, or at least soon. While Smoove can be frustrating at times, he is a very dynamic player and will only continue to get better and is a lot younger than Brand. Considering that they would cost about the same as well I definitely have to say no.

I wouldn't do this trade.

For one, it keeps Horford at center.

Second, it doesn't address the problem of height. Brand is short for a PF and Horford is short for a C.

Third, I think Smith can develop an effective post game still. Smith will never be the back to the basket player that Brand is, but we don't need that with Horford.

Just my thoughts

I keep seeing that Brand and Artest are both going to sign their player options. Also I dont think you can sign and trade a player for another signed and traded player. They could both prolly sign long term deals and be traded for each other after DEc 15th. However if I knew Brand was 100% healthy I would make this trade.

It keeps Horford at center but gives us a guy who can score in the post and gives us a guy who will help Horford on the glass. Still thew injury risk would make me shy away. There is just no way of knowing if Brand will really bounce back from this injury.

lol I actually sent the SAME idea to The Sports Guy Bill Simmons... we'll see if he publishes.

I DEFINITELY would do it. Don't get me wrong, I love Smoove, but this trade makes us a better team. If you think a Horford/Smoove front court can take us farther than a Horford/Brand front court, you're crazy. Horford/Brand would not be undersized, and there's so many things about that pair that would just lead to dominance. We'd have one of the best defensive and rebounding frount courts in the league (without a doubt, the best rebounding one... Horford and Brand would absolutely dominate the glass on both ends).

Another thing about it that makes me excited... Horford and Brand could pretty much switch on any C/PF combo in the league. That means BOTH our front court guys could guard either of the other teams frontcourt guys. Now THAT would pose serious matchup problems.

The undersized Smoove/Horford combo MIGHT take us where we wanna go. On the other hand, I KNOW a Horford/Brand front court would make us one of the best teams in the league when you add in Joe, Bibby, Marvin and Chill.

In fact, a Horford/Brand front court has the potential to be a top 20 front court of ALL TIME. Think about how they would dominate.

As Dolfan alluded to, the only risk is Brand's injury. Well, in his 2nd game back from that injury he dropped 19/8 and 4 blocks last night and looked like an all star for the most part. Obviously you check out the injury issue up close with your own doctors (although Im not sure I trust those guys after Not-So-Speedy), but I think he's recovered fine.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think Elton Brand, in a sign-and-trade for Josh Smith, would make us a top 3 team in the Eastern Conference.

Why for the Hawks? Brand would give us the post scoring we desparately need, plus he's a better rebounder than Smith and would block nearly as many shots (he has career numbers of 20 ppg, 10 rpg, 2 bpg, and .500 fgp). He just turned 31 last month, which would give him at least 2-3 years of dominance and several more years of solid play. Joe Johnson would be a terror with Brand demanding a double team in the post and Bibby and Marvin spreading the defense on the perimeter.

Why for the Clippers? They get an exciting young player with a ton of potential who has already been very productive and could be a draw in L.A. for years to come.

No.

I kinda like the possibility of Moving Horf to 4.

Here's a better question...

Would you trade Smoove for Kaman?

Quote:

Hell no and I really don't think to highly of Smoove, answer this: What will Brand with injuries add to this team, he is not a Center, he very expensive and we need depth. I think we should trade Smoove for a couple of role players and and future 1st round picks.

Quote:

Quote:

No.

Kaman, Livingston, and a role player plus future 1st round picks, yes sir.

Quote:

Quote:

No.

Jeez... that's a bit obtuse. Horf and Brand can both play the 4 and the 5. So neither one is a "true" center, it wouldnt matter... they could match up with ANY front court in the league. THAT is what matters. If you think a Kaman/Horf front court would be better than a Brand/Horf one, than you are crazy.

The extent to which you all are undervaluing Brand is absurd. The guy is a PERENNIAL all-star at the 4/5 position (matches up slightly better at the 5 than Horf), and you're acting like Kaman and Smoove are in the same league as him.

He's got a good 4-5 years of elite basketball left in him, easy. If we wanna become contentders, this is the type of trade we have to make. A Horf-Smoove front court is just too undersized when it comes down to it. A Horf/Brand one is downright scary in ALL facets of the game (especially rebounding... we'd become the best rebounding team in the league with that trade).

I think Northcyde posted about this trade awhile back and pointed out how it was an upgrade. I remember cuz I agreed with most of what he wrote.

I think some of yall need to take a step back and actually conisder what Brand does on the court, and how pairing him with Horford would make us a force for many years.

Quote:

Lets see...

Someone in their 30s who is shorter, less athletic, coming off of an injury, and definately not as exciting. And we're trading Josh Smith for him?

The Clips would do this trade in two seconds, the Hawks wouldnt.

Oh come on, the Celtics got even older players and look at them now. They traded Al Jefferson and all their young guys to get Allen and KG. We could just trade Smoove who is similar player to Jefferson and we still have Bibby Joe and Marvin.

pg- Bibby

sg- Joe

sf- Marvin

pf- Brand

C- Horford

Really similar to the Celtics lineup:

pg- Rondo

sg- Allen

sf- Pierce

pf- KG

c- Perkins

or Detroit