• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Importance of Making the Playoffs

KB21

I want to stress MAKING when I say that. Getting into the playoffs is very important for this young basketball team. At this point in time, while everyone would love to win in the playoffs, winning isn't quite as important as getting there. This team isn't prepared to win in the playoffs just yet. Their minds aren't right, and they don't have the kind of depth they need to win in the long run.

The fact that they have made the playoffs though gives them a taste of playoff action. They will get to experience first hand what playoff basketball is all about, and it is going to be a learning experience as well as a motivational tool for this basketball team. Even if they are beat in 4 or 5 games by the Celtics, getting into the playoffs this year will give these guys the hunger to get back. When that hunger comes, I believe the desire to do what is necessary to win in the playoffs will come as well.

This team will see first hand that the most important aspect to winning in the playoffs is defense. You have to play defense to win in the playoffs. There is no questioning that, and at times, I feel that this group of young players doesn't quite realize that fact yet. Getting a taste of playoff action will hammer that fact home.

Quote:

Off the court, it makes sure the Suns don't get a lottery pick for JJ. So at the end of the day (unless they find a jewell in the draft), they only have Diaw to show for the JJ trade.

Which means that, officially, we got the better end of that trade, by far.

I agree, but I think there is just one more "thing" that we need aside from making the playoffs. I don't know what the "thing" is, but I am reminded of the Grizzlies when I think about us in the playoffs. The first time they made it, there was a majority of people that had the mindset that they could build upon their fortunes the next season. They did improve, but their playoff fortune sucked.

I don't know exactly what it is, but the Hawks just need what the Grizzlies did not have. We can worry about discussing this in a few months, right now I am just too amped about the playoffs.

I agree KB, this playoff run was vitally important to this young team. I hope that they have learned a lot from their mistakes over the past few weeks. They won some huge games but they also laid some serious eggs on the way as well. This experience, I hope, builds that necessary mental toughness they need to be a serious playoff contender next year. The series against the Cs is going to be brutal. KG and Allen both are starving for playoff success. Both of those guys are gamers and will not let the Cs fail, at least against the Hawks.

But, I don't think it particularly matters how badly we are beaten in the first round (to a point). The fact that the team went through the late season grind to get to the playoffs is what they had to experience. I expect next year that the Hawks will be a much better team because they have seen what it takes. They have failed many times this season, but they have also prevailed in the end. That sort of life experience is invaluable.

That "thing" may be a true defensive presence, whether it is a big, physical, shot blocking center or simply a renewed focus on playing the kind of team defense this team needs to be playing.

The Grizzlies got to the point that they were good, but they were soft. Guys like Pau Gasol and Jason Williams didn't buy into the idea that they had to play defense, and I believe that's why they were ultimately sent packing without winning a single game. It seems like when Mike Fratello pushed them to defend even harder than Hubie Brown did, they met Mike's force with tremendous resistance, and that's why Mike was ultimately fired.

I hope these Hawks do not take that approach, because if the rumors are true and Larry Brown is Atlanta's coach next season, then this team will be driven by defense whether they want to or not.

The Hawks are outsized up front, but there is no need to be giving up these kind of points on a regular basis. The Hawks lack the ability to take other teams out of their comfort zone. Teams come in knowing they will get little resistance. Some act as if it is luck that these unknown players have career and season highs against Atlanta. They come in knowing the Hawks aren't going to give the effort to stop them.

How else to you explain Drew Goodens big game?

This series could be a blowout aswell as a sweep. For the Hawks to steal even one game they will have to surprise Boston with great defense and maybe get KG in foul trouble.

I agree that the Hawks need to focus more on defense. Bibby has invigorated the offense but significantly hurt the defense. I like Bibby as the team's point, but the Hawks now need someone who can help Bibby in the paint. Another perimeter defender would be good as well.

But these discussions should be held off until the offseason. Lets relish our playoff birth and have fun with it.

Quote:

The Hawks are outsized up front, but there is no need to be giving up these kind of points on a regular basis. The Hawks lack the ability to take other teams out of their comfort zone. Teams come in knowing they will get little resistance. Some act as if it is luck that these unknown players have career and season highs against Atlanta. They come in knowing the Hawks aren't going to give the effort to stop them.

How else to you explain Drew Goodens big game?

This series could be a blowout aswell as a sweep. For the Hawks to steal even one game they will have to surprise Boston with great defense and maybe get KG in foul trouble.

Cant you just be happy for once!!!!???? Geeeeeez.

Agreed.

Its not just making the playoffs but who they are going to play against. KG, Allen, and Pierce are all crafty vets who are at the point in their carreers where personal accolades mean nothing anymore to them. These young Hawks will see future Hall of Famers sacrifice and do anything necessary to win.

KG's intensity reminds you alot of Horford. Not that Horford will ever be as skilled as KG but his "WILL" and leadership qualities seem similar. What better role model for Horford and Smith to go against. They can match him athletically but will have the chance to pick his mind and game apart which will help them grow as players. Hopefully it will help Smith channel his energy in a more positive way and not lose his cool like he does on occaison. KG gets amped all the time but he never loses control.

No better way to grow and mature as a basketball team then to get thrown to the fire in a 7 game series vs. the best and most veteran team in the Eastern Conference.

Quote:

...No better way to grow and mature as a basketball team then to get thrown to the fire in a 7 game series vs. the best and most veteran team in the Eastern Conference.

Yep...bottom line is the Hawks are in the tournament eheheh.gif

Starters are going to have to be ready for action and our backups are gonna have to be ready to go up against the likes of "Big Baby". But we got a better chance that Indy!!

These guys need to experience playoff basketball just so they can understand how much more intense the games are. EVERY possession is important in the playoffs and they will see just how important when they experience Boston's playoff defense first hand. Our guys play D in spurts but we have yet to sustain a consistent defensive effort AS A TEAM over an extended period of time. If we are going to avoid getting swept, that had better change in a hurry.

I'm sure JJ and Bibby have told them what to expect but like JJ says, they have to see for themselves. I have no doubt that our guys will play hard but can they sustain the level of concentration and effort it takes to be successful long enough to win a game or two? I can't wait to find out.

IMO, the ability to take others out of their comfort zone is there. What's lacking is the mentality and the desire to do so.

This team is very athletic and very long. They have the inherent ability to be a great defensive team that forces its will upon others. At this point in time, it hasn't clicked mentally yet though. They do not understand what type of effort they have to put forth on the defensive end on a consistent basis, and they don't have that defensive attitude yet.

This is what separates great defensive players like Shane Battier from mediocre defensive players who have much better tools to work with than he does. Shane Battier knows what type of effort he has to put forth, and he has that attitude that he is going to find a way to take the man he is guarding out of his comfort zone. Shane is one of those players that would rather tell you what flavor of gum his opponent chews than to score 20 points on any given night.

Because Gooden couldn't miss. Every decent NBA player has a game every now and then when they can't miss and like him or not Gooden is one of the better scoring 4's in the game. He had Al right in his face and he was still swishing shots from 17' like it was nothing.

We definitely need size up front and that will be a huge factor in the playoffs this year but hopefully that will be addressed in the offseason.

Quote:

Quote:

Off the court, it makes sure the Suns don't get a lottery pick for JJ. So at the end of the day (unless they find a jewell in the draft), they only have Diaw to show for the JJ trade.

Which means that, officially, we got the better end of that trade, by far. yeah but we helped Boston get Rondo

Because Gooden couldn't miss. Every decent NBA player has a game every now and then when they can't miss and like him or not Gooden is one of the better scoring 4's in the game. He had Al right in his face and he was still swishing shots from 17' like it was nothing.

That's part of my point. The Hawks have a reputation for playing bad defense so a player like Drew might come in and even try things he wouldn't try against other teams. That was the only game this year Drew attempted 20 shots in a game.