• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin or Smoove.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Let's say.... that it's possible to move Horford to PF permanently.

It's possible to do so by trading either Marvin or Smoove for a Big.

Relative to their value:

Here's the choice:

Smoove to Charlotte for Okafor.

or

Marvin to Toronto for Nesterovic. Or to PTL for Pryzibillia.

As a Hawks fan, who do you trade?

Note:

Marvin is a true Midrange Jumpshooter.

Smoove is a defensive Shotblocker.

Marvin can't hit a three pointer.

Smoove is a classic tweener.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, Smoove has more potential than Marvin. Smoove is probably the worst decision maker I have ever seen, but a coaching change MIGHT change that.

One bad thing....trading Marvin for Nesterovic or Pryzibilla means that we'll have to put Josh Smith at the SF position. I think that Josh Smith is more suited as a PF than a SF.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Marvin in a new york minute. On the basis alone that Smoove sells tix, not to mention is a walking highlight reel and defensive beast.

The nature of the question is:

1. Smoove would get us more back. Okafor is 2 times the player as those other centers.

2. Marvin is a Sf. Smoove is not.

I'm surprised you left out the other ridiculous trading option for Marvin, which is a bag of chips. I mean that's just about equal to the other options you have us throwing away a 21 year old talented player for.

Obviously Smoove gets us more back in trade because he is a better player, but he's not THAT MUCH better than Marvin. As a 3rd option Marvin scores almost as much, he's a better one on one defender, and a far better jump shooter, plus he is younger.

Quote:

I'm surprised you left out the other ridiculous trading option for Marvin, which is a bag of chips.

Well, if it was the cheetos cheddar/jalepeno, I might have to consider it, but that isn't a slight to Marvin's ability. Dont sleep on those they are quite tasty.

Diesel you and anyone else that would trade Marvin for Nesterovic or Pryzibillia would be 10X worse of a GM than Billy Knight, Chris Wallace, and Kevin McHale. There is a reason the Spurs let go of Nesterovic for nothing. Yeah lets trade a 21 year old for stiff A or stiff B.

I would trade Smoove in a heartbeat. Smoove's negatives outdo Marv. The main knock on Marv is that he isn't aggressive or is too passive. Smoove gets the reputation as a great defender because of the blocks but he can't play man on man worth a damn and he is s turn over machine. He will block three shoots but turn the ball over 5 times. I think that Smoove is what he is and right now no one can say that he is way better than Smoove. But I will make this comment that neither will ever reach their full potential without a good coach. They both have alot of bad habits that the coach let them develop. Both these guys are still young but I think Marvin is more coachable.

Quote:

I would trade Smoove in a heartbeat. Smoove's negatives outdo Marv. The main knock on Marv is that he isn't aggressive or is too passive. Smoove gets the reputation as a great defender because of the blocks but he can't play man on man worth a damn and he is s turn over machine. He will block three shoots but turn the ball over 5 times. I think that Smoove is what he is and right now no one can say that he is way better than Smoove. But I will make this comment that neither will ever reach their full potential without a good coach. They both have alot of bad habits that the coach let them develop. Both these guys are still young but I think Marvin is more coachable.

wait.. smoove is a turnover machine for being an aggressive passer, while Marvin is not because he has butterfingers? Marvin turns the ball over in the worst possible ways ever. At least smith is trying to make something happen with a pass, MW simply just loses it..

• Moderators

We have a winner!

All else being equal (salary/potential/talent which of course it isn't but close) if I'm an owner I'd just count the number of Smith jerseys in the stands vs. the number of Williams and there's your answer. (I'm not saying this is always a good idea but it is in this case. If it was always a good idea we'd be signing Sprewell).

For a good coach and a little more depth unconventional players aren't a problem. They're an asset.

Quote:

1. Smoove would get us more back. Okafor is 2 times the player as those other centers.

Glad to see you came around on #2.

This is a problem, and why I was so weary of drafting Horford (although I would do it in retrospect obviously). 2 of our 3 best players are PF's. Smith can NOT play SF, and Horford may end up being our overall best player. Shame to play that kind of guy out of position.

I just really, really don't think you can trade Smith because of his nature as a highlight maker, shot blocker, and hometown hero. The franchise couldn't handle him blowing up elsewhere. For the forseeable future we are stuck with our best young player playing out of position. To me, Marvin is almost out of the picture. It's trade Smith or play Horford out of position

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

This is a problem, and why I was so weary of drafting Horford (although I would do it in retrospect obviously). 2 of our 3 best players are PF's. Smith can NOT play SF, and Horford may end up being our overall best player. Shame to play that kind of guy out of position.

I just really, really don't think you can trade Smith because of his nature as a highlight maker, shot blocker, and hometown hero. The franchise couldn't handle him blowing up elsewhere. For the forseeable future we are stuck with our best young player playing out of position. To me, Marvin is almost out of the picture. It's trade Smith or play Horford out of position

Nobody said that Smith was a PF either?

Smoove has no inside game... no post moves.

Smoove is a tweener. Sorry that you ran with your PF news, but he's not a PF. He's not a Sf, he's not a PF. If I had to guess right now, he does more SF things because the Sf position is the easiest to play in basketball. Any athlete above 6'5" can play Sf. And Smoove is an Athlete.

In the future however, I would like to see us move Al to his natural position of PF and find a C.

IF that means spending money on Diop for his 14 minutes of defense, I would reluctantly do that.. but I would rather have a guy who can score inside and hold down the defense.

Okafor is a great pick up, but I doubt we can get him for Marv. Smoove on the other hand might work.

Pryz is a pretty good defensive C but he's old. Marv could definitely get him!

Somewhere... .there must be an answer.

What do we want for the future.

Quote:

Quote:

That is the problem. Smoove can't play SF and would look like JJ trying to pg. Horford can be a better PF than Smoove will ever be, Horford can't play SF and neither can Smoove. We need a solid team where people know their roles. Smoove if you haven't noticed has tried to become a finesse player but he isn't smart enough to become one. If we had Nellie he would have Smoove playing center that way he stays out of trouble (perimeter, trying to lead fast breaks). He would be excellent coming off of the bench so that way we can play him a little bit everywhere. Like CLint Eastwood said in the Good, the bad, and the ugly--"A Man has got to know his limitations".

I'm not claiming he's a prototypical PF, but you can not play him at SF. He'll always have somewhat of a tweener game but PF is clearly his position in the nba, no doubt about it. SF's blow right by him like PG's blow by joe/chill.

Just like you have to play salim at PG even though he doesn't have a classic pg game

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'm not claiming he's a prototypical PF, but you can not play him at SF. He'll always have somewhat of a tweener game but PF is clearly his position in the nba, no doubt about it. SF's blow right by him like PG's blow by joe/chill.

Just like you have to play salim at PG even though he doesn't have a classic pg game

Sorry..

But if you play Smoove primarily at PF.. then you will have what we've been having. NO POST Offense. You are what you can defend WHEN your offense runs smoothly. However, if you don't have an offense presence in the post... you are not a PF. That's our problem with Smoove at PF. He's got the offensive game of a Sf. Not that he's a good 3 pt shooter, but that he has no identity in the post. NO move, no desire to be there.

I would rather play Al at PF.. Smoove at Sf than to play Al at C and Smoove at PF... that's just two players terribly out of position!

I will not pass final judgement until a true coaching staff is implemented. Both players will not reach full potential until they get a real facilitater to put them in their most optimal positions.

Ala Rafer Alston - on TNT he tells Mcgrady to post up Brewer and play the perimeter with whoever else guards him because he will have the advantage.

MW is a good jumpshooter from 15-17 feet but his range beyond that is very poor and who says he'll make those jumpshots most of the time. Those are not high percentage lay ups and players struggle with mid range jumpers all the time. How many last minute clutch "mid range" shots has he made this season?

JS struggles with long jumpshots and if he doesn't improve by 24 than something has to be done. He has a very decent post game considering this is his first year playing the post full time.

Bottom line, if MW can net us a top ten pick than we can draft a need with potential instead of extending a player with a very limited game right now. If J. Rich gets MW minutes, I'm very confident he scores 10-15 ppg, easily.

JS is a game changer on the defensive end and just more versatile with tons more potential. If players like Maurice Evans (who literally had the shooting range of Shaq) can improve their shot all the way to the 3, I'm not giving up on JS...