• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Take this for what it's worth

VarsitySlacker

I love this team. I loved them when it was Mookie and Smitty, I loved them when it was Rider and Jackson, I loved them when it was JT and Reef. So seeing this team mature and play well is a joy for me. This is the team that I've been hoping to see for the past two years. And what this proves to me is that Billy Knight DID know what he was doing. He's made mistakes, yes, but has been fortunate enough to be in a position to have corrected them. This is a talented team. It has holes, and it is streaky, but most teams are. I still contend that there is more of a problem with Mike Woodson than Billy Knight. But that's not what this thread is about.

Anybody who has been paying attention all year knows that the Hawks are good at home, and abysmal on the road. Like, opposite ends of the stratosphere. But the fans of Phillips Arena have really turned it up in the playoffs. Why is that? It's not because the Hawks are the trendy team to like. We finished the season with a losing record. We're the worst playoff team ever, record wise. SAS and Chad Ford mocked us. But we are here. We are the legions of Hawks FANS who came out of the woodwork for the postseason. The ones who watched us trade Steve Smith for a headache, Jason Terry for Employee#8, and forgot that we needed a Point guard when a HOF caliber one was available. We are the ones who came out, filled up Phillips Arena, and drowned out the "rabid" Celtic fan base.

So this one is to Diesel. To Walter, to gsuteke, to JohnnyBravo. To Lascar, DocHawk, and chillz, and to graymule who has suffered more than most of us combined. To all of you who are fans of this franchise, and not just hoppers of the bandwagon. You've suffered for ten years, and you were determined to get the most of this playoff appearance. I know I was. And you came out of the woodwork, and whether or not I'm overstating it, you influenced the game. I go to Georgia, I've witnessed an electric stadium. And the only sporting event I've ever seen that was more electric that Phillips Arena in game one was Georgia/Auburn from this year. Because there were no bandwagoners, no trendy fans who didn't really know about the game. There were Hawks fans, because it's finally our time to rise up.

It's like Rocky vs Ivan Drago in Rocky IV. We come home, and everyone expects a lot of Celtics fans to be at the arena. The crowd watches a young Hawks team take a punch and fight back, and suddenly, the crowd turns. Now, chants of Lets Go Hawks are raining from the rafters. The crowd is raucous. The tides have turned. Suddenly, it seems like there are only a few Celtics fans at the game.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I love this team. I loved them when it was Mookie and Smitty, I loved them when it was Rider and Jackson, I loved them when it was JT and Reef. So seeing this team mature and play well is a joy for me. This is the team that I've been hoping to see for the past two years. And what this proves to me is that Billy Knight DID know what he was doing. He's made mistakes, yes, but has been fortunate enough to be in a position to have corrected them. This is a talented team. It has holes, and it is streaky, but most teams are. I still contend that there is more of a problem with Mike Woodson than Billy Knight. But that's not what this thread is about.

Anybody who has been paying attention all year knows that the Hawks are good at home, and abysmal on the road. Like, opposite ends of the stratosphere. But the fans of Phillips Arena have really turned it up in the playoffs. Why is that? It's not because the Hawks are the trendy team to like. We finished the season with a losing record. We're the worst playoff team ever, record wise. SAS and Chad Ford mocked us. But we are here. We are the legions of Hawks FANS who came out of the woodwork for the postseason. The ones who watched us trade Steve Smith for a headache, Jason Terry for Employee#8, and forgot that we needed a Point guard when a HOF caliber one was available. We are the ones who came out, filled up Phillips Arena, and drowned out the "rabid" Celtic fan base.

So this one is to Diesel. To Walter, to gsuteke, to JohnnyBravo. To Lascar, DocHawk, and chillz, and to graymule who has suffered more than most of us combined. To all of you who are fans of this franchise, and not just hoppers of the bandwagon. You've suffered for ten years, and you were determined to get the most of this playoff appearance. I know I was. And you came out of the woodwork, and whether or not I'm overstating it, you influenced the game. I go to Georgia, I've witnessed an electric stadium. And the only sporting event I've ever seen that was more electric that Phillips Arena in game one was Georgia/Auburn from this year. Because there were no bandwagoners, no trendy fans who didn't really know about the game. There were Hawks fans, because it's finally our time to rise up.

If you want to talk most electric.....

History Lesson.

Braves vs. Pirates. 1992 NLCS

Fulton County Stadium.

52k Braves fans doing the chop.

Fransico Cabrera Cracks a double... Dave Justice comes home to tie the game. Sid Bream Rounds 3rd comes home to slide in for the win.

I miss pennant races and I have not watched much Baseball since that year because that was the year the biggest brave fan I have ever seen (my grandfather) died.

I learned how to be a real fan watching him suffer through with Gary Matthews Sr., Gene Garber, and old Dale Murphy.

Tonight... it was just as electric as 1992. Not as meaningful.. but just as electric. Tonight, I believe that we can beat this team and Cleveland. I would love to see the story take us to the ECF. Maybe we can get our good friends Orlando!

Quote:

If you want to talk most electric.....

History Lesson.

Braves vs. Pirates. 1992 NLCS

Fulton County Stadium.

52k Braves fans doing the chop.

Fransico Cabrera Cracks a double... Dave Justice comes home to tie the game. Sid Bream Rounds 3rd comes home to slide in for the win.

I miss pennant races and I have not watched much Baseball since that year because that was the year the biggest brave fan I have ever seen (my grandfather) died.

I learned how to be a real fan watching him suffer through with Gary Matthews Sr., Gene Garber, and old Dale Murphy.

Tonight... it was just as electric as 1992. Not as meaningful.. but just as electric. Tonight, I believe that we can beat this team and Cleveland. I would love to see the story take us to the ECF. Maybe we can get our good friends Orlando!

I was five when this happened, so I never got to experience the wonderful time when Atlanta was excited about the Braves, but I was actually talking about this to my father today, when I was trying to explain what game one was like.

The city of Atlanta is so often characterized by "arrive late, leave early" that the rest of the nation thinks of us as fair weather fan, which makes it that much harder for those of us who do care. That's why this is so sweet.

You were actually a fan of the Rider/Jackson Hawks? I barely watched the Hawks at all for four years. Kudos to you, man, for suffering through that debacle. Losing Smitty then Mookie just ruined any connection I had to the team.

I was at least on board for the 13 win season. They were bad, but they were fun to watch, at least. And it's the same crop of guys who are still here. Fun to watch. Frustrating, they make me want to pull my hair out most of the time, but they're capable of big things. I was really upset when we collapsed on that west coast road trip after the AS break because I recognized the talent and potential we have.

They're still not even playing the most sound basketball. They'll have to step it up even further if they want to win a game in Boston to have a chance at taking home this series. But they're capable. I'm really proud of these guys. Even if they still make me scratch my head with their potential.

Quote:

We've earned this. Since I lived in our great city, I've been able to attend 10-15 games a year and those who I've met and cheered with us at Phillips, GA Dome, and even the Omni deserve this. We have suffered terrible basketball for many of years; one of which even include a 13 win season. This is a LONG TIME coming to our loyal fans...........THANK YOU HAWKS FOR THIS GREAT RIDE

I love hearing all these stories from proud Georgians. I was 8 y/o as Sid rounded 3rd and I remember climbing the couch as I listened to the game on the radio from my small, middle Georgia home. My parents could only smile at how excited I was despite thinking it was a bit foolish. Until last night, that was the most memorable sports event of my life. I worked the overnight shift last night and couldn't watch my Hawks. I was back on the radio listening to this inspiring event. I'm a film student and when surreal things occur my mind automatically frames the circumstances. Like any sports movie that leave the action in the stadium and shows the fans reacting in bars, on the street, the laundromat, anywhere, I was going nuts.

I have never followed the NBA. This year when the Hawks went on the five game winning streak a few weeks before the All-Star break I bought season tickets to the rest of the games. Little did I know that this would become one of the most memorable sports nights of my life.

Yep, the '92 NLCS Game 7 is up there. I was a sophomore at Tennessee when Sid came home. You could literally hear the entire campus roar in surround sound when he was safe as if there was a home game at Neyland. But nothing has topped the next eight words....

THE FALCONS ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL. The '98 NFC title game, which IMHO is still the greatest conference title game ever. When Morten's kick went through, we were literally teared up with joy. Over 30 years of frustration was wiped away with a single field goal in overtime. Of course, we all know what went down afterwards....

Anyway, this has been the best moment I can recall as a Hawk fan since the Nique days. Even when Smith, Mookie, and Deke were winning, it was always a hesitation because we knew deep down that they couldn't get further than the second round (and was right). But for this young bunch to take the best punch and counterpunch the veteran Celtics could throw, in primetime no less, and not only take it, but dish it out until the 66-win team (and their fans and the national media for that matter) is doubled over in pain has been well worth it.

I can't wait for tomorrow. I already have my tix for Game 6; section 202 will be standing unless an ambulance is needed. If they come back here up 3-2, the mighty Celtics will be going home; without us to join them.

GAME, SET, MATCH.

Quote:

You were actually a fan of the Rider/Jackson Hawks? I barely watched the Hawks at all for four years. Kudos to you, man, for suffering through that debacle. Losing Smitty then Mookie just ruined any connection I had to the team.

I was at least on board for the 13 win season. They were bad, but they were fun to watch, at least. And it's the same crop of guys who are still here. Fun to watch. Frustrating, they make me want to pull my hair out most of the time, but they're capable of big things. I was really upset when we collapsed on that west coast road trip after the AS break because I recognized the talent and potential we have.

They're still not even playing the most sound basketball. They'll have to step it up even further if they want to win a game in Boston to have a chance at taking home this series. But they're capable. I'm really proud of these guys. Even if they still make me scratch my head with their potential.

I actually bought a season ticket package that year, thinking getting in on the ground floor in Philips opening season would have me in good shape when the team began to sell out. I became a fan when I moved to ATL in '85, watching Nique, Doc and Co. do their thing on the court and in da club . . .

Quote:

[

I have had the same thought. We will have to win on the road in ever series.

If we get Orlando, we will play for the ring.