J. O'Neal to Toronto

lifelong

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

I think this deal makes puts us solidly no better than 6th in the East. As injury prone as O'Neal has been, he's an upgrade over Rasho and the Raps will be fine w/ Calderon:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3461029

Teams are going to start loading up to beat the Celtics. The gauntlet has been been thrown. I got the strangest feeling that the Celtics are going to get more talent now as well. Detroit, Miami, among others are retooling amidst all the change that is coming.................we still got Woody. Teams know that they are going to have to load up to come out of the East.

Quote:

Quote:

Teams are going to start loading up to beat the Celtics. The gauntlet has been been thrown. I got the strangest feeling that the Celtics are going to get more talent now as well. Detroit, Miami, among others are retooling amidst all the change that is coming.................we still got Woody. Teams know that they are going to have to load up to come out of the East.

I agree with this completely. There's been a great infusion of talent into the Eastern Conference over the past two years, and I believe that will only continue with the top 2 picks in the draft coming to the EC this year. Is the East actually at a point where top to bottom, it can be competitive with the West? I don't know that we're quite there yet, but you can see the balance of power is definitely beginning to shift- and other than LA and Utah, it seems the other traditional powers out West are past their peak and beginning to show their age, the Suns and Mavs in particular...and San Antonio can not go on forever. Age has to catch up with them at some point.

At least they have the guts to make a move to move into the upper echelon of the east. Miami took the same risk when they paid 30 million to bring Shaq over.

Team who stand pat will regress. We were the 8th seed, we can't pretend we were a 4 or 5 seed who only need a couple of pieces to compete.

Quote:

At least they have the guts to make a move to move into the upper echelon of the east. Miami took the same risk when they paid 30 million to bring Shaq over.

Team who stand pat will regress. We were the 8th seed, we can't pretend we were a 4 or 5 seed who only need a couple of pieces to compete.

I second that. What is exactly some fans waiting on? Maybe they should ask the Bulls fans how far just drafting young players and not adding a top veteran will get you. It won't get you to a championship and thats what I am hoping for with this group the Hawks have. With Smoove, Horford and JJ I believe that it could get done with the right veteran to help them. Baron Davis, Micheal Redd, Marcus Camby and Tashaun Prince could all help this team improve next season.

Quote:

JO is going to make Toronto one of the softest teams in the league and don't forget that he will miss at least 20 games leaving Bosh to play center.

Funny you should say that. A guy I talk a lot of NBA with at work, thinks this will make Toronto worse as well. In fact, he wanted to bet another guy in our convo that the Raptors wouldn't win more than 40 games next year.

He immeadiately cited O'Neal's FG%, which was lower than all of our frontline players ( 44% ). Then he asked who will play center between O'Neal and Bosh, since O'Neal is much more comfortable at the 4. Add in the injuries, and the team not willing to play consistent defense, he's not a believer at all in O'Neal in Toronto.

Quote:

I second that. What is exactly some fans waiting on?

I agree with your point (somewhat), but what exactly do the fans have to do with it? Do we have the power to make moves or decisions about the operational runnings of the Atlanta Hawks? Unless I'm missing something really big, I don't think we do...and so if there's a question, it seems like the operative question should be- what exactly is the ASG waiting on?

I don't think that there's that question though. I feel that at least so far they're doing (or at least giving the commitment that they're going to do) the right things, namely re-signing Smoove and Childress. Those should be priorities 1 and 1A in my opinion- and then after that just see what's out there. If there's a great trade, make it. If not, then hold tight, see how things go, and wait till something better comes along.

I think this young team will naturally improve (to what extent, I have no idea) with another year's experience together and a playoff appearance under their belts, and with a more well-acclimated Bibby to hopefully add to that cohesion. Or maybe trade Bibby, but only if you get the right offer, and if you have PG covered- beyond Acie Law that is. There's so much urgency on this board, but things are really not all that urgent. All in due time. I'm sure that Sund is looking at many, many possible variables, options and what if/contingency plans that we don't even know about.

Quote:

I agree with your point (somewhat), but what exactly do the fans have to do with it? Do we have the power to make moves or decisions about the operational runnings of the Atlanta Hawks? Unless I'm missing something really big, I don't think we do...and so if there's a question, it seems like the operative question should be- what exactly is the ASG waiting on?

I thought it was clear that I was talking about some fans opinions not what Sund or the ASG are actually going to do. No one from Diesel to the newest member on here can actually decide what happens with this franchise. All you can do is state your opinion and the fact that many feel we are ok as is why I asked that question. I have to say I laughed reading your first paragraph.

Quote:

I think this young team will naturally improve (to what extent, I have no idea) with another year's experience together and a playoff appearance under their belts, and with a more well-acclimated Bibby to hopefully add to that cohesion.

Listening to Rick Sund talk about keeping the top 8 intact all Hawks fans can do is hope that your statement is true. But with the Hawks finishing up under 500. ,even if you only count Bibby's games, it is a good question to ask. Are we good enough as is? The Bulls thought they were with Deng, Hinrich, Nocioni, Duhon, Tyrus Thomas, Joe Smith, adding Noah and Ben Gorden. Thats some good talent on that roster and they failed to even make the playoffs. You think they wish they had traded for Gasol now? Hell yes! I think that is a good example of a teamgoing into the season with the same squad. They even made a deal at the deadline that still didn't get them into the playoffs. Thats something people who say just trade Bibby at the deadline should think about.

Quote:

I'm sure that Sund is looking at many, many possible variables, options and what if/contingency plans that we don't even know about.

If this were true I believe me and other fans would feel more comfortable right now. But Sund and Woodson have said on more than one occassion that they are only looking to add veterans on the bench to fill the 9-12 spots. That doesn't sound like keeping all your options open to me.

• Premium Member

I see it differently than most squawkers.

Bosh-JO is a strong frontcourt combo. JO is not as old as you guys say. He's just 30.

Change of system with a coach who he prolly will like a lot better will mean that he will work harder.

I agree with somebody who said that the whole east is retooling.

The way I see the trade is that both teams got rid of guys who are injury prone in hopes of evening out rosters.

For the Raptors, this definately looks like an attempt to put some serious pressure on the Celtics. IF JO stays healthy, or more likely, is healthy for the playoffs, then the Raptors have a good team to match up with the Celtics. D is right, that front line of JO and Bosh is formidible.

The Pacers are just looking to retool the entire line-up. I would not be surprised to see them move Tinsley, Dunleavy, and/or Murphy over the next few months. FWIW, I wouldn't mind adding Murphy at all to the Hawks. His salary is a problem, but I like his game and what it could do for the Hawks.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The way I see the trade is that both teams got rid of guys who are injury prone in hopes of evening out rosters.

For the Raptors, this definately looks like an attempt to put some serious pressure on the Celtics. IF JO stays healthy, or more likely, is healthy for the playoffs, then the Raptors have a good team to match up with the Celtics. D is right, that front line of JO and Bosh is formidible.

The Pacers are just looking to retool the entire line-up. I would not be surprised to see them move Tinsley, Dunleavy, and/or Murphy over the next few months. FWIW, I wouldn't mind adding Murphy at all to the Hawks. His salary is a problem, but I like his game and what it could do for the Hawks.

No way.

I say no way to the Pacers moving Dunleavy or Murphy.

Tinsley is on the first trade Bird can get. But Dunleavy just had a career year. Murphy is the most solid big they have. I think that the Pacers are trying to find Space for all their players... meaning that you might see a frontcourt of Dunleavy, Granger, and Murphy.

Now guys who Indy is prolly trying to move:

Diogu, Williams, Nesterovic, Daniels.

Another option is finding a PF and moving Granger to the 3 and Dunleavy to the 2.

They have traded away Elton Brand, Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Ron Artest, Brad Miller, etc. and had they just been patient with most of those guys instead of constantly changing the roster they would most likely be a lot better now than they actually are.

We should be concentrating on growing with our core and adding solid pieces around them.

I wonder what some of you would think if we decided to "not stand pat" and we made a bold move like trading Smoove to someone for a guy who is already a star in order to keep up with the other teams making moves.

• Premium Member

Quote:

They have traded away
Elton Brand,
Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler,
Ron Artest,
Brad Miller, etc. and had they just been patient with most of those guys instead of constantly changing the roster they would most likely be a lot better now than they actually are.

Plus they added Ben Wallace last year and got worse! But people on this board won't tell the truth because the truth gets in the way of their shallow agendas!

Quote:

Quote:

They have traded away
Elton Brand,
Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler,
Ron Artest,
Brad Miller, etc. and had they just been patient with most of those guys instead of constantly changing the roster they would most likely be a lot better now than they actually are.

Plus they added Ben Wallace last year and got worse! But people on this board won't tell the truth because the truth gets in the way of their shallow agendas!

They added Ben Wallace 2 years ago, and got better and swept the Heat in the playoffs. They traded Ben this year as he was utter shite.

• Admin

His body is old and beaten though.

He is already on a decline and his contract is one of the worst in the league.

A Bosh and J O'Neal combo will be interesting though. I am glad TO got him and not us. I bet so is Indiana. I think they really have set themselves up to improve. They are going to dump Tinsley and move forward with Ford.