• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why is Solo not playing in the summer league?

Admin

Quote:

If i were him I would be doing everything the team asked of me and more. He should be worried about his long-term future in this league. He didnt exactly tear up the SPL last year. He needs to play. The SPL is made for guys like him.

He needs to be playing in Utah. And washing Woody's car before he goes to Utah. And picking up Sund's dry cleaning when he gets back from Utah.

Seriously, he could very easily lose his courtside seat to either Simeon, Justin Williams or the Nigerian center who has played for Sund previously. He flashes a nice game sometimes but he clearly needs court time to show and prove and the SL could have provided an excellent chance for him. Beter to show what he can do against comparable talent than to have to have Horford embarrass him in team practice.

Quote:

He didn't want to play and it might cost him his job in the long run.

I think summer league is overrated so I'm not too concerned that he's missing these games. My guess is that he's working with someone on specific parts of his game much like Smoove did with Hakeem. Solo proved last year that he's a hard worker but he still needs to step it up. I don't see the summer league helping out with that as you don't get the invidual focus needed to really improve certain aspects of your game.

Well I have to think that he must have been asked not to participate and maybe work with the other vets, or big man coach, or whatever because he is still raw and we do have him under contract for this season and we do need bigs.

Maybe they felt like they knew what they had in Solo and wanted to leave as many spots open on the summer league roster for outside guys.

Still though, I am discouraged that he's not going to be there.

Of course none of us know what really happened, but I think Solo and his agent thought about it and decided that his status as a returning vet might make him more likely to be extended than his performance in the summer league would. He sucked in the past two summers, probably would have again.

Quote:

Quote:

He is under contract for next season so I don't understand why he isn't at the Summer League. Did I miss an explanation for why he isn't attending?

He declined the invitation to participate

What is he thinking? Since Woody doesn't coach SL--he would have actually gotten more than 2 minutes a game!

I see it much differently. I look at it as though this is one way of Solo "pouting" that he did not receive the playing time he deserved. You don't just not go to SL when your game clearly needs refining (and has needed it for a while)...especially when a new sheriff [sund] in town along with an extended deputy (Woody) who not only controls your PT, but also is searching for another serviceable big off the bench to log more minutes. I mean, how would you feel if you looked good in some games, even when the guys above you weren't getting the job done even in garbage time, only to get "rewarded" with DNPs every other game? Am I saying Solo is a beast and deserved 20 MPG? Come now. What I AM saying is that I think there is much more to it than just "he wasnt obligated to go, no big deal" and "He just didnt go, it was voluntary for 3rd year guys anyway."

Quote:

It's probably much ado for nothing. Solomon has a guaranteed contract and is not obligated to participate.

Bottom line, the reason has not been announced. He may be part of Marvin's package and Sund has him on ice.

A Marvin package that nets us a legit center.

Quote:

I see it much differently. I look at it as though this is one way of Solo "pouting" that he did not receive the playing time he deserved. You don't just not go to SL when your game clearly needs refining (and has needed it for a while)...especially when a new sheriff [sund] in town along with an extended deputy (Woody) who not only controls your PT, but also is searching for another serviceable big off the bench to log more minutes. I mean, how would you feel if you looked good in some games, even when the guys above you weren't getting the job done even in garbage time, only to get "rewarded" with DNPs every other game? Am I saying Solo is a beast and deserved 20 MPG? Come now. What I AM saying is that I think there is much more to it than just "he wasnt obligated to go, no big deal" and "He just didnt go, it was voluntary for 3rd year guys anyway."

Solomon's contract is guaranted.

His PT will be determined in Ostober not July.

His off-season time is his. Guys got limited time to enjoy their time.

Quote:

Quote:

Solomon's contract is guaranted.

His PT will be determined in Ostober not July.

His off-season time is his. Guys got limited time to enjoy their time.

A 10 year old can deduce that. What you said refutes nothing of what I said. His contract is guaranteed, but his PT surely isnt. This could be a subtle way of Solo pitching a fit. Or, it could be him just not electing to go because he doesnt have to. Either way, unless there was something legitimately more important, I believe he should have gone. End of story.

• Premium Member

Quote:

A 10 year old can deduce that. What you said refutes nothing of what I said. His contract is guaranteed, but his PT surely isnt. This could be a subtle way of Solo pitching a fit. Or, it could be him just not electing to go because he doesnt have to. Either way, unless there was something legitimately more important, I believe he should have gone. End of story.

Story re-opened. Solo is not going to SL for the same reason that Marvin, Smoove, and JJ are not going. There's no real benefit for him. Solo is not fighting for a spot on the team. He has one. You say that his PT could increase or decrease based on SL... Well, let me ask you... Last year, Shelden was the best player in SL at RMR... How much did his PT increase?

Woody doesn't care about SL. Last year, Horf had a mediocre SL and Shelden had a great one.

Quote:

As an admittedly biased observer, I feel the developments here in Salt Lake City are something Hawks fans should be very excited about. First off, summer league head coach Larry Drew has done a really nice job of balancing the need to feature the talents of Shelden Williams, Solomon Jones, Al Horford (right) and Acie Law, along with his job of teaching a team that has been together for less than two weeks to play as one.

Shelden has easily been one of the best big men in the league. With a year in the NBA under his belt (one in which he led all rookies in rebounding and double-doubles),
he has been patient and efficient, yet crafty and physical, to the tune of 18.0 ppg and 9.3 rpg (.600 FG%, .750 FT%) through three contests.

Shelden got back... In his first preseason game... after a good April and a great SL, you'd expect him to start right?? NOPE. He doesn't start. In fact, both Zaza and AL plays more minutes than him.

Second preseason game... SAME THING.. Only this time, Horf plays almost 3 times the minutes of Shelden... Check it out.

In the meanwhile... Check out Solo. After a good SL last year.. first 2 preseason games.. He's struggling with 5 minutes total.

So here's the question.

What's in it for Solo??

1. An opportunity to get hurt?

2. A chance to get embarrassed by some guy trying to win a contract?

3. Nothing?

I'll take all of the above TRUTH...