Sunds Official Statement: This is not good

Lacsho

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You guys keep looking at money as if it's the most important thing....

Because it is.

[

If Money were the most important thing, the Euroleagues would be full with NBA stars.

Chillz didn't go into the offseason looking for a big bid from the Euroleague. Moreover, I doubt he took one seriously until the Hawks treated him the same way you do.

I realize math isn't your strong suit but the falling dollar is a key issue as to why the Greek team can offer a big deal like this. The dollar's weakness is a fairly recent issue.

Plus the Greek team apparently has a new TV deal which will bring in more revenue and makes it easier for them to offer the biggest deal in Europe to Childress.

The Hawks treated Childress the same way other teams are treating their RFAs. Chicago is offering Deng less money than they offered last year.

I know you tend to not be able to concentrate long enough to stay on subject but even with the Strength of the Euro now... why not Deng? Why not Iguodala? Why Not Brand? Why not Smoove? Why not Ellis? Why Not Biedrins?

You see, what you don't understand is that Money isn't everything. Playing in a parking lot league is not anybody's first option. The NBA is!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Strength of the Euro now... why not Deng? Why not Iguodala? Why Not Brand? Why not Smoove? Why not Ellis? Why Not Biedrins?

First of all they needed a small forward not a center or 1/2 tweener. Secondly Iggy will command a far larger salary than Childress who is now the highest paid player in Europe.

The rumor is that they were going to go after Deng if Childress declined, but their offer would probably have to be even bigger to lure Deng.

Quote:

Quote:

Strength of the Euro now... why not Deng? Why not Iguodala? Why Not Brand? Why not Smoove? Why not Ellis? Why Not Biedrins?

First of all they needed a small forward not a center or 1/2 tweener. Secondly Iggy will command a far larger salary than Childress who is now the highest paid player in Europe.

The rumor is that they were going to go after Deng if Childress declined, but their offer would probably have to be even bigger to lure Deng.

Echo that to the letter, and also, wouldn't y'all say that Chills is more suited for the Euro game than those other options?

To the original poster....

What exactly is wrong with Sund's statement?

You said "This is not good". What exactly is not good? Childress

leaving or Sund's statement? I have no problem with either and I

was encouraged by Sund mentioning improving our roster. Chillz

can be easily replaced and hopefully it will be with someone who

can defend and also take a jumper with someone guarding them.

I was never a BK basher, but to say he would have done a better job of handling this is ludicrous. To say Sund should have said anything more than he did is lunacy. Here's the problem with Hawks "fans" and sports "fans" in general. This isn't your fantasy league or your NBA 2K game. It's real money coming out of real peoples pockets. Let's say the Hawks "respected" him and gave him 9 mill a year. He thinks that is close enough and stays. Now let's say he has a bad year. You know who he becomes? Mike Bibby and Zaza Pachulia. This whole board would be filled with scenarios on how to get rid of Childress's horrible contract.

Quote:

If Money were the most important thing, the Euroleagues would be full with NBA stars.

This is the most lucrative offer EVER signed in the Euro leagues. To a mid-level NBA player. Chillz will never be one of the NBAs 50 greatest. He will never be an all-star. He may never even start in the league. So why should he give a dam about NBA greatness when it isn't there for him?

What is there is tax-free euros. And you can bet that more mid-level NBA players will be looking overseas for big money, if it's there for them. Especially if the Euro continues to kick the dollar's ass.

Maybe Stern should hire you to the NBA league office. You seem to share in their same pompous, arrogant attitude toward all of this. The NBA is basketball's premier brand, but others are closing the gap. Regardless of what you say, money is the deciding factor in this world, and the NBA is only as good as its players. The NBA can't sit around and think that they can continue to be the best without adapting to current market conditions. This is a problem that will not go away any time soon.

BK was never the problem? True, he was never THE problem, but he deserves just as much blame as ownership and Woody. It's a shame he was the only one to leave town.

I can't be mad at anyone for this happening. I'll give Sund a chance before I cut him down. Can't say I'm optimistic, though.

• Premium Member

Do you think AI or Deng would turn down 11 million?

Hell if they have 11 Million to give to Chillz, don't you think they have 14 million to give to those other guys?

You're always trumping how bad Chillz is in comparison to the other two? You think 3 more Million for much better quality would break them? Deng can't get a better offer than 9 from Chicago. 14 Should have him doing monkey flips?

Tell me when there's more than just copycat rumors.

Quote:

BK was never the problem? True, he was never THE problem, but he deserves just as much blame as ownership and Woody. It's a shame he was the only one to leave town.

I can't be mad at anyone for this happening. I'll give Sund a chance before I cut him down. Can't say I'm optimistic, though.

Hasn't he pretty much had his chance and screwed up completely?

• Premium Member

You have to look at my whole statement.

IF Money was the only factor,

then why wouldn't European teams attack at the draft? Our rookies are bound to a salary limit. NOT so in Europe. Why didn't Greece go after OJ Mayo or J. Beasley... According to Exodus, it's all about the money. Greece or any other team can steal players away just like the ABA did. So if Money is the main concern, why not??

Quote:

Do you think AI or Deng would turn down 11 million?

They can probably get that or close here which is why the Greek team targeted Childress. They had a better chance of success with Childress than with Deng or Iggy.

You seem to be confusing yourself. On the one hand you say why haven't the Euros gone after other players and then you turn around and give a reason why they haven't gone after other players.

Quote:

then why wouldn't European teams attack at the draft? Our rookies are bound to a salary limit. NOT so in Europe. Why didn't Greece go after OJ Mayo or J. Beasley... According to Exodus, it's all about the money. Greece or any other team can steal players away just like the ABA did. So if Money is the main concern, why not??

Because money is a finite resource. They don't have the money to sign a bunch of guys to Childress like deals.

Quote:

Money isn't thing only factor, but it definitely is the main factor. This is their career, and some people would rather make 11 million in obscurity, than make 6 million in obscurity. The reason Deng, Iggy, etc. haven't went to the Euroleague, is because they don't have enough money to offer Deng or Iggy. They could get 15-20 million from a Euro team, but I bet their agents didn't even think about that. They'll be making close to 11 mil just playing in the NBA, unlike Childress, who almost doubled what he would make in the NBA.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Because money is a finite resource. They don't have the money to sign a bunch of guys to Childress like deals.

If they start at the draft, they can sign guys better than Chillz for cheaper.

Are you telling me that they are stupid too?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Chillz is playing basketball in what amounts to the nbadl. He's never going to be a 50 greatest in the NBA. He's never going to be an NBA allstar. He's never going to be considered one of the best to ever play the game.

Do you know why?

Because he's not that good?

I don't think he feels that he's not good! That's the opinion that matters most.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If they start at the draft, they can sign guys better than Chillz for cheaper.

Are you telling me that they are stupid too?

You still don't get it.

THEY DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO THROW DEALS AT A BUNCH OF PLAYERS.

Childress is the highest paid player in Europe. His deal is exceeded by a BUNCH of deals in the NBA. There is more money overall here. It just so happens that there is a LOT more money for childress in Europe.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chillz is playing basketball in what amounts to the nbadl. He's never going to be a 50 greatest in the NBA. He's never going to be an NBA allstar. He's never going to be considered one of the best to ever play the game.

Do you know why?

Because he's not that good?

I don't think he feels that he's not good! That's the opinion that matters most.

I didn't realize that Childress could vote himself into the All-Star game. Looks like i learned something new today.

Quote:

Diesel, you are a wierd cat.

What part of "this is unprecedented", don't you understand?

Chill and his agent, along with the kid that was signed to Arizona, but opted to go overseas, may have JUST started this trend of good American talent going to play in Europe, just for the money.

In the past, it was because the NBA didn't want them, and that they had no other choice but to play overseas.

It's a good possibility that these Euro teams never even considered that a decent American player would play in their league, if they paid them enough money. Now that one has, don't be surprised if the flood gates don't open.

The vast majority of of the time, it is about the money.

- JJ mainly came here, and left a champion caliber team, because of the 20 million first year deal

- David Beckham came to the US to play in the sorry MLS, because of the money.

- WNBA players play overseas, because of the money.

- The old time WNBA players left the first professional women's league, the ABL, because of the money

- James Posey left the Celtics, because of the money.

I think those Euro teams have a 3 Americans max rule. Well what happens if some of those team decide to just spend money on just one American . . a decent one like Chillz, who feels he isn't getting paid enough or getting the notoriety

Let's see if Deng or Gordon turns down a 14 million deal if they are offered it. LOL @ Gordon turning down a 3 year - 42 million deal, to stay on a Bulls team, to make 5 yrs - 40 million.

Quote:

Quote:

Hasn't he pretty much had his chance and screwed up completely?

I don't like the direction we're going, but you can't write of a GM before his first full season.