• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sunds Official Statement: This is not good

Lacsho

hawks.com

HAWKS GM SUND STATEMENT REGARDING JOSH CHILDRESS SIGNING

ATLANTA, GA (July 23, 2008) -- “We were informed this morning by Josh Childress’ representatives that he has signed with Olympiakos in Greece, and we want to wish him the absolute best with his future career in FIBA.

“We have a great deal of respect for Josh and appreciate his contributions to our franchise. We were very comfortable when we began this process that if Josh were to play in the NBA, he would remain with the Hawks. This is a unique situation with Greece, and to my knowledge it is believed to be the highest contract ever awarded in Euroleague history.

“We feel we presented a very fair and competitive offer to keep him in Atlanta, and we will now move forward with the options we have to improve our roster.” – Hawks GM Rick Sund.

wow.gif And you thought BK was bad. Give me a break the problem was never BK. ASG was, and still is the problem. BK walks away and Chillz jets to Greece. Whatz next in Hawksville?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Walter

Quote:

wow.gif
And you thought BK was bad. Give me a break the problem was never BK. ASG was, and still is the problem. BK walks away and Chillz jets to Greece. Whatz next in Hawksville?

BK absolutely sucked. Geeze.

Still, this had little to do with anything other than Childress' probable desire to start (anywhere), certainly some disdain of the Hawk's turmoils, but MOST IMPORTANTLY an entirely unsuspected, outrageous offer for Childress. I doubt the lure of the Spurs or some other title contender could have disuaded Childress from taking this offer.

Childress' agent should earn half of this contract. Phenomenal. As far as Sund and the ASG, they should not be expected to see this coming nor should they be expected to react to it other than letting Childress go.

W

W

If BK sucked, people wouldn't be upset about Chillz bolting to Greece. How can you judge BK when he never got a chance to deal with a competent ownership group? Hell Sund was the only person who would take this gig. Who wants to deal with an ownership like this? This group is the laughing stock of the NBA. Atlanta is one of the favorite destinations for NBA players, yet the sorry ownership group cannot attract free agents. So we have to over pay quality players, or settle with mediocre players. This group refuses to put a quality legit product on the court; however, they want you to come out Saturday to purchase season tickets. Hell to the Naw !!!!!!!

Sund's statement really isn't that bad.

Do you really expect the Hawks to compete with 11 million dollars, tax free? (I know, they pay it. Same difference).

Y'all act like we're talking a difference of thousands. 11 > 7.

In three years, Chill is 12 million richer than he would be here, and able to sign a new contract at age 28 to boot (prime).

Here, he would have to play five years to earn that kind of money and would be up for a new contract at age 30.

There he will be able to start and probably play a more vital role (I assume they couldn't possibly bring him off of the bench after paying all that dough).

Plus, Greece has Mediterranean beaches and beautiful, tan women.

Is this a bit shocking? Yes.

Does it make sense, though? You bet.

In this case, 28 > 30.

Quote:

Sund's statement really isn't that bad.

Do you really expect the Hawks to compete with 11 million dollars, tax free? (I know, they pay it. Same difference).

Y'all act like we're talking a difference of thousands. 11 > 7.

In three years, Chill is 12 million richer than he would be here, and able to sign a new contract at age 28 to boot (prime).

Here, he would have to play five years to earn that kind of money and would be up for a new contract at age 30.

There he will be able to start and probably play a more vital role (I assume they couldn't possibly bring him off of the bench after paying all that dough).

Plus, Greece has Mediterranean beaches and beautiful, tan women.

Is this a bit shocking? Yes.

Does it make sense, though? You bet.

In this case, 28 > 30.

And here's another thing.

What if after 3 years, and 2 or 3 Euroleague championships in which he's easily the best player in Europe, he finds himself in demand not only in Europe, but also in the NBA? He's able to command major dollars now. Dollars he may not have seen in year 4 of any deal he signed in the NBA.

He's taking a big risk by going overseas. But it's also a risk that could net him a hell of a lot more money within the next 5 years, depending on if he's able to dominate in Europe.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You guys keep looking at money as if it's the most important thing....

If you trained all your life to play in the NBA, made it, got to the playoffs and then suddenly was offered 11 Million to play basketball in a parking lot or 6 million to play for that playoff team. what do you take?

Chillz is playing basketball in what amounts to the nbadl. He's never going to be a 50 greatest in the NBA. He's never going to be an NBA allstar. He's never going to be considered one of the best to ever play the game.

Do you know why? Becuase nobody gives a damn about Euroleagues.

Ask Nique how much his Greece championship means compared to his NBA playing days?

It means nothing.

I don't think Chillz trained his whole life to go and be the highest paid player in the parking lot.

People say, "he's money hungry".

Look at the situation. He was strongly disrespected.

I rag on the ASG more than most on this board, but with the Childress situation, I think they handled it well. It was unforeseen for a Euro team to sweep him away with an offer. Just an unintended consequence of RFA in my opinion. No reason for the ASG to overpay him when we would be bidding against ourself.

Quote:

Because it is.

Quote:

He's never going to be a 50 greatest in the NBA. He's never going to be an NBA allstar. He's never going to be considered one of the best to ever play the game.

Do you know why?

Because he isn't that good.

Even if he played his whole career in the NBA the only way he would ever ge to the All-Star game is if he bought a ticket. That is why going to Europe makes even more sense for him.

Quote:

Quote:

Because it is.

Quote:

He's never going to be a 50 greatest in the NBA. He's never going to be an NBA allstar. He's never going to be considered one of the best to ever play the game.

Do you know why?

Because he isn't that good.

Even if he played his whole career in the NBA the only way he would ever ge to the All-Star game is if he bought a ticket. That is why going to Europe makes even more sense for him.

Right on. He will be THE MAN in greece. He is at his very best a 3rd option here.

yeah but Sund didn't even address the fact that they didn't attack it early and show some type of support for their own player..they could have came back with something slightly higher to show they were trying to work with them but instead they were being bull-headed and esssentially dared him to find another offer.....and he did...

Quote:

It's all they could say. Fall on your sword and move on.

Quote:

we will now move forward with the options we have to improve our roster.” – Hawks GM Rick Sund.

Something a little more positive and aggressive would be pertinent right now. "the options we have" doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Because it is.

[

If Money were the most important thing, the Euroleagues would be full with NBA stars.

Chillz didn't go into the offseason looking for a big bid from the Euroleague. Moreover, I doubt he took one seriously until the Hawks treated him the same way you do.

Since when is Chillz an NBA star? He is a middle of the road NBA player who they overpaid to get. The Euro leagues are up and coming but they are just now getting the resources to throw money at NBA guys and succeed in getting them. I wouldn't exactly call Delfino and Chilldress stars. And is is ALL about the money. Don't fool yourself.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Because it is.

[

If Money were the most important thing, the Euroleagues would be full with NBA stars.

Chillz didn't go into the offseason looking for a big bid from the Euroleague. Moreover, I doubt he took one seriously until the Hawks treated him the same way you do.

I realize math isn't your strong suit but the falling dollar is a key issue as to why the Greek team can offer a big deal like this. The dollar's weakness is a fairly recent issue.

Plus the Greek team apparently has a new TV deal which will bring in more revenue and makes it easier for them to offer the biggest deal in Europe to Childress.

The Hawks treated Childress the same way other teams are treating their RFAs. Chicago is offering Deng less money than they offered last year.

Guest Walter

Quote:

If BK sucked, people wouldn't be upset about Chillz bolting to Greece.

WTF? Childress was the 6th overall pick!!! You are always upset over losing such a seemingly valuable commodity for nothing. However, JC was the worst of considered prospects (Deng and Iggy being significantly better with more trade value and upside). BK drafted the worst possible high lotto player considered 3 years in a row and in 2 years IT WASN'T EVEN CLOSE. Ownership

had nothing to do with that. That's how you SHOULD judge BK. If the man couldn't draft better than dead last 3 year's running and not pass on 2 ROY/All-stars for MW/SW when the single most important job of a rebuilding GM is to draft well, you shouldn't then blame the ASG for that. Moreover, Lo and Speedy. I mean come on.

Quote:

Hell Sund was the only person who would take this gig. Who wants to deal with an ownership like this?

Not many, but this ownership got worse the more BK [censored] up. Had he not continually, repeatedly showed his ass with pathetic lotto draft picks, bad signings, or ridiculous promises, the many headed hydra that is the ASG wouldn't have been so at odds. Moreover, again, who does BK have to blame for who HE drafted. That job alone is probably the only job a GM has 110% control over. Trades and FA signings involve money ownership generally must sign off on.

Quote:

"or settle with mediocre players.

And given we rebuilt from scratch and had a 2, 3, 5, 6, 11, 17, 21, (1st rder - trader) picks and passed on among many, Paul, Deron, Roy, Iggy, Deng, Gay (not considered because of the previous drafting of MW), WHO do you think we have to blame for mediocre players?

I myself would have selected Deng, JS, Deron, and Roy. I don't feel too mediocre about that. Those who would have picked Paul and similarly can be even more satisfied that it didn't take a GM to make BK's track record as a rebuilding GM look AWFUL.

W

• Moderators

I see what you're saying but the truth is that (in fantasyland) had the Hawks somehow made an offer to Chill 5 minutes before he signed in Greece for the same money they were paying all that 'disrespect' would have been forgotten and he'd be playing for the Hawks again.

I don't place blame for this on either side. I think Chill is looking to be renounced and come back next year unrestricted.