• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Bruce Correct In Saying...

ATL_BALLER

...that the ASG's goal is "not to win a popularity contest, but to win games"?

Do they owe us anything more than that? Should we not get "emotionally attached", as Gearon noted, to the players, when he really should just be focused on winning?

For me, yes, winning is obviously a huge part - but there is something to be said for doing it with players that I - that we - like, watching homegrown talents like Smoove make it happen. It's entertainment, after all, and part of it is giving the fans what they want, no?

Do they owe us anything more than that? Should we not get "emotionally attached", as Gearon noted, to the players, when he really should just be focused on winning?

For me, yes, winning is obviously a huge part - but there is something to be said for doing it with players that I - that we - like, watching homegrown talents like Smoove make it happen. It's entertainment, after all, and part of it is giving the fans what they want, no?

I think it's both foolish to get emotionally attached to players and to expect fans to not do so. I think that the ASG owes us a winning product and as long as we are buying tickets and supporting the team they should at least consider our thoughts, but they have people that they pay to make good basketball decisions and ultimately it should be left up to them. God only knows what this team would look like if they listened to 5% of what is proposed around here.

It is pretty ironic for him to mention winning since the Hawks haven't had a winning record this century.

• Premium Member

Let's see how the Smoove saga plays out. If they resign or trade him and if traded whom do we recieve in return for a very young and talented homegrown talent.

That will be the answer to your questions.

Winning.

If we are winning games and competing for championships, I don't care who's playing (as long as their character isn't deplorable).

This isn't tee ball. Everyone doesn't get a trophy for showing up.

I think both points of view have some merit. For instance, I truely believe if we trade Smoove for Odom we might very well be a better team next year. Odon is a guy that brings alot to the table, but in the back of our mind we wouldn't enjoy the winning as much knowing that he is going to leave at the end of the season. For me being a fan is not only winning but knowing the future is bright. With Smoove there is the hope that someday that light comes on in his head and he maximizes his talent and leads the Hawks to great things.

I just don't understand how they can be so flippant sometimes, though - they're going to do what they want, they've improved every year, the media is laughable, every one gets on them for not resigning Smoove when all the other RFAs are unsigned, etc...

God only knows what this team would look like if they listened to 5% of what is proposed around here.

If they let the people here make the draft picks the team would look a lot better. Childress and Shelden never would have been here in the first place.

to me he is. I know the Hawks aren't the basketball patriots, but that's their motto. Brady is pretty much the only untouchable. Same with the Colts. JJ is who they've made the man on this team. Everybody else can be scrambled around.

Edited by sultanofatl

Why are owners telling fans how to be root for the team? If they want people to show up and sit in the seats, the owners have to make the finacial commitment to put a quality and entertaining product on the court. Thus you have to pay your free agents. We have spent the last 3-4 years to develop Childress and Smith with the whole goal being build the core through the draft and add role players to fill out the roster. Those last 3-4 years were a waste if Smith signs the qualifying offer and bolts for nothing next offseason and we have already lost Childress for nothing. How is that smart basketball decisions? How can the ASG say they are commited to winning with a straight face? Are these owners dumb enough to actually believe what they are saying?

If they let the people here make the draft picks the team would look a lot better. Childress and Shelden never would have been here in the first place.

Actually, Diesel rallied a small Shelden contingent, and lots of folks wanted Yi just last year. I remember being torn between Horford and Conley (how ridiculous is that?).

We could have:

Bogut, Shelden, Yi, Joe, and Crittenton

Or:

Horford, Smoove, Gay, Joe, Paul

GM-ing ain't easy ...

The reason why the Smoove situation is so frustrating is not just because he's the fan favorite and hometown hero.

The #1 reason is how pivotal a piece the guy is to the team. The hero/fan favorite aspect just makes it that much worse on top of that.

The reality of the situation is that our future with Josh Smith is a helluva lot brighter without him.

Actually, Diesel rallied a small Shelden contingent, and lots of folks wanted Yi just last year. I remember being torn between Horford and Conley (how ridiculous is that?).

We could have:

Bogut, Shelden, Yi, Joe, and Crittenton

Or:

Horford, Smoove, Gay, Joe, Paul

GM-ing ain't easy ...

Not to mention there was a large contingent of people that didn't want the "nut puncher" Chris Paul and thought that Raymond Felton was the best PG in that draft. Had the posters here been in charge in this past draft I think we would have taken Conley with the 3rd pick.

Not to mention there was a large contingent of people that didn't want the "nut puncher" Chris Paul and thought that Raymond Felton was the best PG in that draft. Had the posters here been in charge in this past draft I think we would have taken Conley with the 3rd pick.

LOL @ nut puncher.

I wanted Paul that year and if I was GM Conley would be here. I just wanted that PG no matter what. I wanted Marcus Williams in 06

Radio guys raised a question: name one guy who had issues with their attitutde that signed a big deal and didn't have a hard time. They didn't name one . . . . but I think that is a good rule of thumb and with Smoove coming to play for Woody, I would bet dollar to donuts that he'd have a hard time playing here even if he gets the money.