• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

At Age 26 Who Will Be Better

foeteen14

Horford or Smoove? I think most of u know where i am on this issue. smoove can only get better (much better). horford will get better. but based on ceiling its no contest, smith is the only five tool player in the NBA. horford is a rebouder, he may develop into a scorer, but will he ever average 18 points a game? i question that. smoove does that now. it's not just the numbers i'm looking at actual play on the court. the aggressive nature of smith gives the edge over most players in the league. believe me, i love horford, but if i'm starting a team right now, and looking toward the future, i choose smoove over horford. there were times this past year that smoove was unstoppable, will horford ever be unstoppable, i don't think so. choosing horford over smoove is choosing solid over extraordinary

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al Horford.

He already started to show a pretty 15 footer in the latter part of the year, is CONSISTENT, is a team player, and strength will come with time.

JJ and Horford are the two core players of this team. J Smoove is the 3rd player.

Al would take less money to help a team out, which has nothing to do with the topic, but just thought i'd throw that out there.

Anyway, Al Horford will be a very special player in this league, and I'm sure HOF coaches like Larry Brown, Pops, and Phil Jackson would take Horford over Smoove if it came to that.

Horford or Smoove? I think most of u know where i am on this issue. smoove can only get better (much better). horford will get better. but based on ceiling its no contest, smith is the only five tool player in the NBA. horford is a rebouder, he may develop into a scorer, but will he ever average 18 points a game? i question that. smoove does that now. it's not just the numbers i'm looking at actual play on the court. the aggressive nature of smith gives the edge over most players in the league. believe me, i love horford, but if i'm starting a team right now, and looking toward the future, i choose smoove over horford. there were times this past year that smoove was unstoppable, will horford ever be unstoppable, i don't think so. choosing horford over smoove is choosing solid over extraordinary

I think Horford will be and it won't be close. I could be wrong but many of his skills needs tuning and experience while Josh just doesn't have some of those skills that he needs to become the player he can be. I think if on the right team Josh could become a very good player. I would love Josh in PHX but I don't like anything in PHX for a trade so I don't like the trade for my Hawks.

• Premium Member
so having multiple skill sets mean nothing to any of you. horford does one thing and smith does five. unless your talking about STD'S five is always better than one

No, it's just that we don't think Horford does just one thing well.

so having multiple skill sets mean nothing to any of you. horford does one thing and smith does five. unless your talking about STD'S five is always better than one

So if 5 things is better than 1, would you take Smoove over Iverson or Carmelo, players who basically score and do nothing else?

If I was a gambling man, I'd put my money on Al Horford. He doesn't have any glaring weaknesses, is a hard worker, and a leader. He's been in a winning enviroment where players defend/play together and pass willingly. He's already a decent ball handler (although I don't know WHY he didn't use that against bigger Cs) and a solid passer. In 4 years, I see Horford as an 18/12/4/1/1.5 player that shoots 52% from the field and 78% from the line.

If Josh Smith plays within himself, and improves on his handles, then it'll be Josh Smith. The only limit Josh has is himself and his jumpshot.

If Smith would just stops shooting long jumpers he would be an All-Star candidate right now. It would take divine intervention for Horford to be a legit All-Star candidate any time soon.

Given that Smith is only 7 months older my vote goes to Smith.

AL can get better, but Smoove can't?

Both can and will improve, it just that the areas where Josh stuggles he can only get so good at. Like Ben Wallace or Shaq with FT's. The areas where Al stuggles just need experience and training. Josh has improved lots from his rookie season, but the areas where he badly sucked at then(rookie) he still sucks at now. Name the areas where Al badly sucks???

Edited by nbasuperstar40

It doesn't really matter - what we REALLY need is a solid Center...and a quality offensive coach. You take this team and run them with a big lineup of a decent D center - AH at PF - and JS at SF and you have power. Then, you can switch it up and go with AH at 5 - JS at 4 - and MW or JJ at Sf (with Evans at the 2) and you are fast as heck. Zaza should be a backup....but for next year maybe he could be the 5. We could get to "inconsistent".

As many of you know I have always classed teams in 5 categories:

Laughingstock: what we were with 13 wins.

Bad: what we were with 26/30+ wins.

Inconsistent: what we "barely got to this year" with 37 wins since we DID make the playoffs.

Good: 46-48 wins.

Championship calibre: 56+ wins

If Smith would just stops shooting long jumpers he would be an All-Star candidate right now. It would take divine intervention for Horford to be a legit All-Star candidate any time soon.

That's something you can say for a lot of players, it doesn't mean it's going to happen. If you tell someone to stop picking on you, that doesn't mean he will stop. The same was said about A. Walker his young years when it came to doing dumb things. He's now a vet and stilll doing the things that annoyed many coaches and fans.

It doesn't really matter - what we REALLY need is a solid Center...and a quality offensive coach. You take this team and run them with a big lineup of a decent D center - AH at PF - and JS at SF and you have power. Then, you can switch it up and go with AH at 5 - JS at 4 - and MW or JJ at Sf (with Evans at the 2) and you are fast as heck. Zaza should be a backup....but for next year maybe he could be the 5. We could get to "inconsistent".

As many of you know I have always classed teams in 5 categories:

Laughingstock: what we were with 13 wins.

Bad: what we were with 26/30+ wins.

Inconsistent: what we "barely got to this year" with 37 wins since we DID make the playoffs.

Good: 46-48 wins.

Championship calibre: 56+ wins

Quality Centers are hard to come by and many are going for big dollars. See Bierdins

That would be true as a PF. However, the only person in the Eastern Conference who is a lock at Center is Dwight Howard.

Name the areas where Al badly sucks???

Taking big men off the dribble and post game both need improvement for Horf. I think both players will be stellar, but I see a ceiling for Horford.

If smooth reigns in that jumper he'll be the better player by a lot.