• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who was our last good/great 3 pt shooter?

DrReality

• Admin
Tried to think of who that would be and drew a blank. Smitty? It's been a long time and such a talent adds a dimension that we just haven't had.

Honestly JJ is an excellent shooter. He would hit more if he was not double teamed all the time. I think that is going to change with Bibby out there now to draw some attention as well as the emergence of Horford.

• Premium Member

I would say that JJ is the best. Smitty was a very good shooter along with Terry Furlow, Freeman Williams, and Eddie Johnson from the past. Reggie Theus was here for a year and was a pretty good shooter as well.

Hands down Antoine Walker, its not even close....

Actually our last consistent 3 point shooter was probably JET. His last years here he shot .347, .371, .387, and .395 while making 146, 160, 172, and 124. Anything over 33% is like shooting over 50% from 2pt, so that means it is good for our current NBA standards.

• Premium Member
Tried to think of who that would be and drew a blank. Smitty? It's been a long time and such a talent adds a dimension that we just haven't had.

Hmmm...since before JJ I would have to go with JT, Ehlo, and Smitty...

The obvious choice is Steve Smith, followed by Craig "Mack" Ehlo, and then JT. TLue is a close fourth.

JJ may be the best 3 pt shooter the franchise has EVER had. The problem is that he RARELY gets to take uncontested shots from ANYWHERE. His last year in Phoenix, he shot a RIDICULOUS 48% from the 3 pt line and he made 177 3's. Still, he shoots it here at a VERY good 38% clip and that will likely improve this year with Bibby here all season.

Before JJ, it had to be JT. JT is a career 39% 3 pt shooter to Smitty's 36% and he made more of them and shot a higher percentage than Smitty did as a Hawk (both played here for 5 years). Interesting that BOTH Smitty and JT shot a MUCH higher percentage from the 3 pt line once they left here. I guess that just goes to show how much harder it is to be the man than to be a complimentary piece.

isnt mookie our all time leader in 3 pointers made?

BY FAR I'm sure. Mookie could get REALLY hot. He made 7 3's in a game EIGHT times. There was a 3-year period (94-96) where Mookie made more 3's than both JT and Smitty did in their 5-year Hawk's careers. He shot nearly 37% during that period too. Mookie was only a career 34% 3 pt shooter but unlike JT and Smitty, Mookie's best 3 pt shooting percentage was HERE. He should definitely be in the conversation.

JJ is actually pretty good; he could be better if Bibby starts becoming a threat. Mike has the chance to be our best shooter in a while from downtown. What if Marvin and Acie start knocking those down?

You make a good point. Seldom . . . .if ever do we consider the best case scenario on this board. What if all the right things happened. God knows it's about time. That would be at least a MINOR miracle.