Marvin's Position

Swatguy

With his new bulk and shown defensive improvement (man), Could it be his future is as a Power Forward?

There would be no need for him to shoot 3's. It is needed to develop a post game. Grooming Marvin at PF allows Josh to roam as he wants.

Feed that boy some "gun powder" and keep him 14ft and in. His transition short jumper will still be at 14 ft. He with the pick and roll will have him at the mid-range jumper area. The guy is closer to 6'10" than 6'9" and working out (reportedly) beast-like. Put him at the 4.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
With his new bulk and shown defensive improvement (man), Could it be his future is as a Power Forward?

There would be no need for him to shoot 3's. It is needed to develop a post game. Grooming Marvin at PF allows Josh to roam as he wants.

Feed that boy some "gun powder" and keep him 14ft and in. His transition short jumper will still be at 14 ft. He with the pick and roll will have him at the mid-range jumper area. The guy is closer to 6'10" than 6'9" and working out (reportedly) beast-like. Put him at the 4.

I don't want Josh out roaming the perimeter. He has a terrible jump shot that always gets us in trouble when he shoots it too much. Marvin is our SF.

• Premium Member
I don't want Josh out roaming the perimeter. He has a terrible jump shot that always gets us in trouble when he shoots it too much. Marvin is our SF.

So you'd rather keep Marvin who hit 1 3pter all year than to put him in PF position where he's probably better suited to play?

The problem with Smoove is that he will go out there anyway and he will take the shot any way.

Marv isn't a particularly instinctive rebounder, and his numbers at PF aren't particularly impressive either. He isn't much of a shotblocker either. Even with muscle, he's still going to be wiry and narrow.

I'd like to see how he looks/plays with the added weight before I make assumptions like he will suddenly rebound like a power player and be able to hold his own in the post.

As of right now there is nothing about Marvin's game that says "power forward"... or at least not more than it says "small forward".

Marv isn't a particularly instinctive rebounder, and his numbers at PF aren't particularly impressive either. He isn't much of a shotblocker either. Even with muscle, he's still going to be wiry and narrow.

I'd like to see how he looks/plays with the added weight before I make assumptions like he will suddenly rebound like a power player and be able to hold his own in the post.

As of right now there is nothing about Marvin's game that says "power forward"... or at least not more than it says "small forward".

I agree. I'd also like to see if he can work these new moves that Smoove reported against real competition. I've always thought Marvin too clumsy to have the required footwork to play in the post. My opinion is that more foot speed is required at SF, but more footwork is required in the post. I am going to reserve judgement on this one.

I agree. I'd also like to see if he can work these new moves that Smoove reported against real competition. I've always thought Marvin too clumsy to have the required footwork to play in the post. My opinion is that more foot speed is required at SF, but more footwork is required in the post. I am going to reserve judgement on this one.

The question becomes, what skill-sets are best suited and what skills possessed now that he should focus on.

As a SF he has:

1) The mid-range jumper.

2) Better than average (when motivated) man defense.

3) Getting to the "free throw" line.

4) ????

As a SF he needs to improve:

1) Footwork

2) Ball handling

3) One-on-one moves for a jumpshot, to the rim and a runner (on the run shot).

4) All-around off the ball movement.

5) Knowledge of the game, teammates and system.

Good thing he is young 'cause he needs a lot more than what he has.

As a PF he has:

1) Size

2) Defensive instincts

3) Will get to the "free throw" line.

4) ???

As a PF he needs to improve:

1) Rebounding

2) Inside move (shots). Footwork.

3) Inside passing.

4) ????

It seems he can focus on rebounding, footwork and passing to be successful as a PF.

I say hire Olajuwon at 2 mil a year for the next two years. Have him work with the bigs fulltime.

The real problem here is that both Marvin and Josh are tweeners. Neither is particularly suited for either position. I can't say for sure that Josh is a PF but he certainly isn't a viable SF. He chucks 3s like a 3, but blocks like a 4 and so on. Marvin shows no real post qualities to me but also won't hit from the perimeter. I imagine the best thing to do is just maintain their current status.

I don't see how Marvin is a tweener or how he could play any position other than SF. He is a classic SF, no PF abilities at all. I could go into detail, but it's really not needed.

People call him a tweener because he can't hit the three but there are plenty of bad shooters at the SF spot. Marv isn't a bad shooter, he's an OK shooter with great form on his jumpers. Other than the fact that his range extends to 18 instead of +20, everything he does is SF-like.

With Smith, its a little different. He does things like a SF but everything he does well, he does like a PF. That is the reason why you don't let players decide how they play unless they prove they can do what they want to.

The dude is nearly 6'10 and 245; and he can't hit a three apparently and so on. At any rate, it doesn't really matter because until further notice our frontcourt is Al/Josh/Marvin.

Jordan couldn't hit 3s either, didn't make him a PF... just a dude that didn't hit 3s. Marv is gonna have to sharpen his jumpshot to be a very good perimeter player but he is gonna have to do a lot more to become a good post player. He is already a solid SF but a below average PF, why would we want him to play the position that would take more work for him to excel at?

• Moderators

Marvin is clearly a small forward in my book. He has the skills to succeed there as is and has room and hope for improvement. He just doesn't have the tools to play power forward for any extended period of time, IMO.

I'll put it this way. He could be a core player for a team as a SF but could not be someone to build around as a PF, IMO.

The dude is nearly 6'10 and 245; and he can't hit a three apparently and so on. At any rate, it doesn't really matter because until further notice our frontcourt is Al/Josh/Marvin.

uh Marvin isn't even 6'9". He's barely over 6'8" in shoes

Edited by Cwell

The real problem here is that both Marvin and Josh are tweeners. Neither is particularly suited for either position. I can't say for sure that Josh is a PF but he certainly isn't a viable SF. He chucks 3s like a 3, but blocks like a 4 and so on. Marvin shows no real post qualities to me but also won't hit from the perimeter. I imagine the best thing to do is just maintain their current status.

there is no problem. a tweener is a guy mixed between 2 positions with no true position. Marvin is a SF and can't play PF and nothing in his game is that of a PF, and he doesn't have the strength,skills or mindset of a PF.

Jordan couldn't hit 3s either, didn't make him a PF... just a dude that didn't hit 3s. Marv is gonna have to sharpen his jumpshot to be a very good perimeter player but he is gonna have to do a lot more to become a good post player. He is already a solid SF but a below average PF, why would we want him to play the position that would take more work for him to excel at?

I agree, but your analogy is wrong. MJ hit 581 3's. My guess is that Marvin won't have that many attempts from distance in his career, let alone made baskets. Also, Jordan shot .327. While not great statistically, I challenge anyone to tell me MJ wasn't the best ever at putting the ball in the hole when it needed to be. The man could shoot. I hated everything about him, I'm no hugger. Saying he couldn't shoot is just silly.