• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin's Position

Swatguy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing about Marvin's game resembles a PF. The inability to shoot 3's isn't a PF trait.

The only one I could think of would be Monster Mash. He really had the desire to be somebody, though. Marvin think's he's somebody just because he's on an NBA court. No real desire to seperate himself, it seems.

It doesn't matter much about his exact height, but Marvin is a legit 6'9+". His taller than Josh.

But Josh plays a lot taller. Marvin loses like 4 inches or more on the court. I guarantee you he was standing tall when he was measured. Watch Marvin walk. He's so bent over with that old man back that he has to lose at least 4 inches while on the court.

• Moderators
I agree, but your analogy is wrong. MJ hit 581 3's.

Jordan hit 21 3pts through his first four seasons, an average of 5.2 per season. That is probably what the poster was referencing. Later on, Jordan had some 100+ 3pt seasons so it was clearly a skill he acquired while in the league.

It doesn't matter much about his exact height, but Marvin is a legit 6'9+". His taller than Josh.

uh that's a dumb statement. How does exact height not matter? Him and Josh measured the same. 6'7 without shoes and 6'8.25 with shoes. Factor in how Marvin is huntched over all the time and plays even smaller subtracts all that. Josh plays alot bigger than he is. How is Marvin taller than Smoove and how is he a legit 6'9 when he isn't even 6'8 and a half with shoes on? Smoove may have gotten taller since coming in,Marvin may have too but of course he loses height on the court.

uh that's a dumb statement. How does exact height not matter? Him and Josh measured the same. 6'7 without shoes and 6'8.25 with shoes. Factor in how Marvin is huntched over all the time and plays even smaller subtracts all that. Josh plays alot bigger than he is. How is Marvin taller than Smoove and how is he a legit 6'9 when he isn't even 6'8 and a half with shoes on? Smoove may have gotten taller since coming in,Marvin may have too but of course he loses height on the court.

Dumb? Joe is 6'7". I haven't measured Josh and Marvin but I have looked at both as close as this computer. I don't come with guesses, based on some source. Both are taller than 6'8" in socks.

My statement was, "It doesn't matter much about his exact height, but Marvin is a legit 6'9+". Now you can call it dumb and believe it in your mind, but it doesn't change the facts.

Eh, this shouldn't even be debated. Marvin is not, and never will be, a viable PF. Period, end of discussion. There is absolutely nothing about his game that can suggest that he can play that position at even an average level--let alone a high level with major minutes.

I dismiss the whole height issue. I don't care is Marvin was 7 feet tall, he plays smaller than his size and wingspan would suggest. One would think he would be a better shot blocker and rebounder than he is with all that supposed "height"...

But meh, whatever. I just hope he improves and really shows us the moves and skills that Smoove said he had been working on this summer (like the 3 and some post moves).

Cwell, since Josh and Marv were both drafted as teenagers its probably safe to assume that they aren't the exact same size they were drafted at.

With his new bulk and shown defensive improvement (man), Could it be his future is as a Power Forward?

There would be no need for him to shoot 3's. It is needed to develop a post game. Grooming Marvin at PF allows Josh to roam as he wants.

Feed that boy some "gun powder" and keep him 14ft and in. His transition short jumper will still be at 14 ft. He with the pick and roll will have him at the mid-range jumper area. The guy is closer to 6'10" than 6'9" and working out (reportedly) beast-like. Put him at the 4.

I think Marvin will be a prototype SF this year but I don't think it is out of the question that he could grow into a PF one day. I keep reading all these posts about both Marvin and Smoove as if they are finished products and I find that absolutely ridiculous. Both of those guys work hard on their games in the off season and both have only scratched the surface of their talent. None of us know how much they will develop both physically and skills-wize over time. Both guys should just now being coming out of college and into the NBA. I am quite content to watch them grow and see where they end up but I am not ready to pigeon hole either one of them regarding what position they will play FOREVER. Will Kevin Durant be a SG forever? Heck, it won't surprise me to see him playing PF before his career is done. Why should Marvin or Smoove be limited regarding what postions they can play?

I think Marvin will be a prototype SF this year but I don't think it is out of the question that he could grow into a PF one day. I keep reading all these posts about both Marvin and Smoove as if they are finished products and I find that absolutely ridiculous. Both of those guys work hard on their games in the off season and both have only scratched the surface of their talent. None of us know how much they will develop both physically and skills-wize over time. Both guys should just now being coming out of college and into the NBA. I am quite content to watch them grow and see where they end up but I am not ready to pigeon hole either one of them regarding what position they will play FOREVER. Will Kevin Durant be a SG forever? Heck, it won't surprise me to see him playing PF before his career is done. Why should Marvin or Smoove be limited regarding what postions they can play?

I agree. As much as I have hammered Marvin the guy is very young. People do not believe guys can/will improve. Heck Zaza is just 24-25. I see Zaza coming back in a big way.

Dumb? Joe is 6'7". I haven't measured Josh and Marvin but I have looked at both as close as this computer. I don't come with guesses, based on some source. Both are taller than 6'8" in socks.

My statement was, "It doesn't matter much about his exact height, but Marvin is a legit 6'9+". Now you can call it dumb and believe it in your mind, but it doesn't change the facts.

how are inaccurate guesses facts? Neither measured at 6'9" in SHOES. So they aren't close without shoes.both are 6'7 without shoes, I have the facts, u have made stuff. That's why I said it's dumb.

05 Draft, look at Marvin

04 Draft,look at Smith

and who said anything about Joe? speaking of Joe he's a LEGIT 6'8",he's not 6'7". Players listed heights are inaccurate alot of the time.

01 Draft,look at Joe

and unless you're around they're height looking at them up close can't determine anything. There's no big difference in an inch or two of height.

Edited by Cwell

Wait, so are you acknowledging they have both grown or not? I assumed you hadn't because you kept saying they were both shorther than 6'9.

I said the may have but it's no fact out there that they are that tall.it's a matter of an inch so u can't tell in person unless you're their height.

• 2 months later...

Both Marvin and Smoove are PF/ SF tweeners. This can be a really good thing. They can switch at any time without giving up too much of an advantage for a single play. Both have trouble defending bigger, offensive minded post up PFs. Neither has the desired offensive post game of a PF YET. At 22 and 23 either could round out their games and become more of a traditional PF later in their careers. Right now Smith is the better finsher inside so PF seems to suit him fine.

Right now Marvin seems to be more of a SF then Smoove is. Especially with his cluth and efficient 3 point shooting he has displayed this year. Dude is a natural shooter which can cause mis-matches for short stretches during games to spread the floor with Marvin at PF. He is also a pretty good slasher / like Smith is.

The thought of having Smith play SF on defense full time really bothers me. Dude needs to be around the rim where he can protect the paint. Most would agree this is best for our team defense. If we start putting Marvin at PF for defense then the opponent will alwayse put a shooter at SF to bring Smith away from the paint to limit his effectiveness and limit the team's interior defense.

Since Marvin is by far the superior shooter I seen no reason to move him in the paint in order to move Smoove to the perimeter even more then he already is.

Edited by coachx

Ridiculous bump. Marvin started against Jamison, not exactly noted for his power game. Before the game started the Wizards had been outrebounded by 4 rebounds a game. Now it is obviously worse. they have only won 1 game.

Not all power forwards are perimeter oriented and notoriously bad defenders.

Ridiculous bump. Marvin started against Jamison, not exactly noted for his power game. Before the game started the Wizards had been outrebounded by 4 rebounds a game. Now it is obviously worse. they have only won 1 game.

Not all power forwards are perimeter oriented and notoriously bad defenders.

We've seen Marv as our backup PF since Smith went down and he's bad at it. He is a bad rebounder, can't defend the position, and can't provide help D.

All the props in the world to Marv for his performance last night but we've seen enough of Marv to know what he is, at least this season.

I really don't understand why some people on this board are so keen on trying to say Smith is a natural SF but are then willing to say Marv might be a PF...