• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I was looking at some of the NBA preview mags

capstone21

• Admin

today. Some were giving us some love. Sporting News gave Woody a good score as a coach (they probably only know him from the playoffs). Some have us in the lower rungs of the East (we did only 37 games last year). I think we have improved our depth, got much needed experience and have a full year of Bibby should get us in the mid 40s this season.

One thing I can't figure out is why some give Miami so much love. I don't believe they can make the playoffs let alone even win 30 games. I know Wade is back but they do not have a pg and their center leaves something to be desired, Beasly is unproven and also they have no bench. WHat is up with that?

• Moderators
today. Some were giving us some love. Sporting News gave Woody a good score as a coach (they probably only know him from the playoffs). Some have us in the lower rungs of the East (we did only 37 games last year). I think we have improved our depth, got much needed experience and have a full year of Bibby should get us in the mid 40s this season.

One thing I can't figure out is why some give Miami so much love. I don't believe they can make the playoffs let alone even win 30 games. I know Wade is back but they do not have a pg and their center leaves something to be desired, Beasly is unproven and also they have no bench. WHat is up with that?

I think we should be improved but you do have to weigh whether we improved more than other teams. The thing with Miami is they seriously tanked. I think with a fresh start and a healthy Wade they can be ok. Not nearly as bad as last year.

Well there are a few reasons. Mainly they have a big name superstar in Wade. Throw in the fact that they have Marion who is a former All-Star and Beasley who is probably going to be the (second, if you include Oden) most talented rookie this season and they have the vaunted "big 3" thing going for them.

Of course it completely disregards the fact that Beas is a rook so even if he's good it'll be an adjustment with such an incomplete roster, Marion is past his prime and a poor fit (evidenced by the slide in #s last season), and the point guard and center positions are manned by third stringers.

Miami is one of those teams that you are allowed to be wrong on though, if they do poorly you just say its disappointing because Wade should be able to carry them.

I've posted about Miami several times and I can't agree with you more. They are going to struggle to get to 30 this year. In addition to the problems you mention, they have no one that can spread the floor. Marion, Wade, and Beasly are all slashers. Beas could be the best shooter out of that group, and that isn't a good thing. Miami had better be prepaired to see a lot of zone this year, because that will be the best defense to use against a team that can't shoot a lick.

For the Hawks, they should have won a few more games last year than 37. For me the low water mark for this team is 42 games, and a high of around 47. Woodson was put in a very bad position with that contract extension. His salary is easy to asorb if he gets fired in January (for example), but he's also expected to win. This means Woodson will find the best 7 players he has and play them to death early on, based on what he's done over the years. The Hawks would have been much better off either signing a new HC or giving Woodson a stronger contract.

It's because Joe Johnson is still underrated from a national perspective. People are picking the Heat to do so well because they've seen Wade win a championship, but I think the Hawks will be much better than the Heat this year. Miami is going through a lot of transition, and everyone seems to think they will just gel because wade, marion, and beasley are all so versatile, but i think they will struggle, that team is still missing pieces. those guys will be worn out against a much improved eastern conference this year. i see them in the low 30's for wins

Our Atlanta Hawks on the other hand have filled in the missing pieces they needed. No, they didn't add an All-Star center, but most teams don't even have one, and with Josh and Al creating such a great combo in the post a little size was all we needed and we got that in randolph morris, and i wouldnt count out pachulia, hes got potential, but hes run out of years for that word to apply to him now. we actually have a frontcourtrotation now, something we havent before, and it well help to keep josh and al fresh.

JOE JOHNSON and MIKE BIBBY! People are underestimating this duo. The Bibby we saw last year was injured and coming into a new system where he had to direct traffic and make plays. Sekou said that Bibby is still the same Bibby he was in Sacramento, and I think he and Joe will both have an incredible year together. And even after Joe tore the Celtics apart pundits doubt him as a franchise player, but he is, hes ours, and he is the man.

childress made some big plays in the playoffs, and i had always thought hed be around here forever, but he often disapeared during games, a downside of having no plays called for him. i blame childress for leaving us, the hawks did not act out of character WHAT DO YOU EXPECT its a business josh, if he cared at all about what we've been building here he would have stayed, but he didn't. josh smith on the other hand played it cool and is ready to go to work for the hawks. maurice evans fills in enough for chills that hes not a major loss, but because of the chemistry and upside its still a loss. i wish it wouldnt have happened, but it did, alot like vick.

but i think the hawks will hang around the top of the eastern conference all year. that is if they dont get killed in that opening stretch, still no respect with our schedule from the head office.

• Premium Member
I think yall are forgetting how good Wade was before the injury. That dude was in the conversation with Kobe and Lebron for best in the League. If he's back to form and healthy they will win at least 43 games.

You're right. If Wade is healthy and returns to star status he will carry that team into the playoffs. We do not have a superstar, we have some nice pieces. There is noboby on our team that can take the court over in the last few minutes or seconds of the game and win the game.

I think yall are forgetting how good Wade was before the injury. That dude was in the conversation with Kobe and Lebron for best in the League. If he's back to form and healthy they will win at least 43 games.

Wade is unbelievable but he plays a very intense style of ball and as of right now he will not only be asked to attack the rim on every possession without the benefit of shooters to space the floor, but he will be asked to bring the ball up the court on every possession because Miami doesn't have a point guard... and their best C as of now is Mark Blount.

They are going to get abused by every point guard and interior player in the league and they are going to have trouble creating any offense because they have no shooters to spread the floor for Wade's penetration and the best distributor is Wade so if he's handling the ball to push the pace for Marion and Beas too, he'll be done by midseason.

"The East will be better, stronger this season."

That's what we hear this year. And last year. And the year before. And the year before that.

Hope springs eternal for ALL teams before the season begins. Every team believes that they

will be bigger, faster, stronger and will shoot a higher % than the year before.

Rookies come aboard. Old veterans retire and life goes on. We may have added more new players

this season - Several NBA players have, for the first time in recent memory, left for teams that are

across the pond - Europe, etc.

With the expected improvement in the East, there are still the same number of games to play

and for every team, when one wins a game, someone must lose. We all believe that the Hawks

will improve this season. We believe that they will win more games. We believe that they

will be back in the playoffs at the end of the season.

If the East is indeed stronger, some of those teams ahead of the Hawks will have a real fight

on their hands to retain their position in the standings from last year. And, we will be right there

to grab their place in the standings when they slip.

I'm ready for some action!! How about you??

GO HAWKS

:biggrin:

It's because Joe Johnson is still underrated from a national perspective. People are picking the Heat to do so well because they've seen Wade win a championship, but I think the Hawks will be much better than the Heat this year. Miami is going through a lot of transition, and everyone seems to think they will just gel because wade, marion, and beasley are all so versatile, but i think they will struggle, that team is still missing pieces. those guys will be worn out against a much improved eastern conference this year. i see them in the low 30's for wins

Our Atlanta Hawks on the other hand have filled in the missing pieces they needed. No, they didn't add an All-Star center, but most teams don't even have one, and with Josh and Al creating such a great combo in the post a little size was all we needed and we got that in randolph morris, and i wouldnt count out pachulia, hes got potential, but hes run out of years for that word to apply to him now. we actually have a frontcourtrotation now, something we havent before, and it well help to keep josh and al fresh.

JOE JOHNSON and MIKE BIBBY! People are underestimating this duo. The Bibby we saw last year was injured and coming into a new system where he had to direct traffic and make plays. Sekou said that Bibby is still the same Bibby he was in Sacramento, and I think he and Joe will both have an incredible year together. And even after Joe tore the Celtics apart pundits doubt him as a franchise player, but he is, hes ours, and he is the man.

childress made some big plays in the playoffs, and i had always thought hed be around here forever, but he often disapeared during games, a downside of having no plays called for him. i blame childress for leaving us, the hawks did not act out of character WHAT DO YOU EXPECT its a business josh, if he cared at all about what we've been building here he would have stayed, but he didn't. josh smith on the other hand played it cool and is ready to go to work for the hawks. maurice evans fills in enough for chills that hes not a major loss, but because of the chemistry and upside its still a loss. i wish it wouldnt have happened, but it did, alot like vick.

but i think the hawks will hang around the top of the eastern conference all year. that is if they dont get killed in that opening stretch, still no respect with our schedule from the head office.

Give me a break ToeKnee! You blame Chillz for not being willing to wait on the Hawks to see if they could get Smoove signed before they were willing to commit to him? Puh-leaze! If the Hawks had had to pay max (or close) money to Smoove, Chillz would NOT have been resigned. Period. If they were going to resign Chillz no matter what, why not let him go ahead and sign the deal he agreed to? He could have been left scrounging to sign with a team for the MLE AT BEST when he had an offer from an overseas team that will net him MORE than what Smoove, Okafor, Deng and Iggy signed for. That was the right move for Chillz personally and business wise.

Why is the team making him wait "business" but him taking the most lucrative offer BY FAR is NOT business? You say he didn't care what we were building but he was willing to stay for slightly above the MLE. The team wouldn't even commit to that. They wanted him to wait. If anyone didn't care in this situation, it was the TEAM. If they cared so much, all they had to do was let the man sign the deal they offered and he agreed to.

As for Smoove, how did he "play it cool?" How was he any more loyal than Chillz? The only difference in their situations is that the Hawks had the opportunity to match the offer Smoove got from the Grizzlies while they didn't have the opportunity to match the offer Chillz got from Olympiakos.

• Premium Member
You're right. If Wade is healthy and returns to star status he will carry that team into the playoffs. We do not have a superstar, we have some nice pieces. There is noboby on our team that can take the court over in the last few minutes or seconds of the game and win the game.

JJ?????

Did you not see JJ destroy a future hall of famer for 20 points in the 4th quarter of a crucial home playoff game ?

• Moderators
Did you not see JJ destroy a future hall of famer for 20 points in the 4th quarter of a crucial home playoff game ?

I also saw Josh Smith take over defensively and stuff Dwayne Wade to beat the Heat last season. We don't have a star we can count on to take over every night ala Jordan, but we are a lot better off in that department than when Josh started with this team.

Wow you think Ray Allen is a Hall of famer? :no-no:

If Chris Mullin , Mitch Richmon are not hall of famers, then Allen shouldn't be in the hall of fame either.

Wow you think Ray Allen is a Hall of famer? :no-no:

If Chris Mullin , Mitch Richmon are not hall of famers, then Allen shouldn't be in the hall of fame either.

Gotta agree with the swatguy on this. I don't think that JJ burning Ray means too much since he's never been a great defender and at this point he can be pretty weak in iso situations but I think he's a HOFer before Chris and Mitch. As good of a player, likely to have the record for 3s by the time he retires, and he has the ring that they missed.

... but on the thread, I've never agreed with the concept that the thing that makes a team good is having the guy that can "take over" in the clutch. That was supposed to be the reason that the Cavs and Lakers were going to beat the Celtics. Frankly, I don't think that Heat are going to have enough close games for that to make them better than us.

Gotta agree with the swatguy on this. I don't think that JJ burning Ray means too much since he's never been a great defender and at this point he can be pretty weak in iso situations but I think he's a HOFer before Chris and Mitch. As good of a player, likely to have the record for 3s by the time he retires, and he has the ring that they missed.

... but on the thread, I've never agreed with the concept that the thing that makes a team good is having the guy that can "take over" in the clutch. That was supposed to be the reason that the Cavs and Lakers were going to beat the Celtics. Frankly, I don't think that Heat are going to have enough close games for that to make them better than us.

You may note, It is the Basketbal Hall of Fame not the "HBA" Hall of Fame.l