• Raised $390 of $700 target

Speedy's Back?

DrReality

Speedy Claxton ready to prove self to Hawks

Veteran guard is healthy, competing for minutes at training camp

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The cautionary tale of Speedy Claxton might not end the way you think. Not if the Hawks’ veteran point guard has anything to say about it.

Two years after signing as the Hawks point guard of the future, Claxton is still trying to justify the deal.

Will Speedy Claxton be a major contributor to this season's team?

Yes

No

Voter Limit: Once per Hour

View Poll Results

RELATED STORIES

Speedy Claxton ready to prove self to Hawks

Mo Evans assumes Childress' role with Hawks

Hall of Famer Wilkins new Hawks TV analyst

More Hawks coverage

Only now he’s doing it without any of the fanfare that accompanied his first two seasons. That spotlight belongs to starter Mike Bibby and second-year backup point guard Acie Law IV.

If Claxton has a future with the Hawks, hand and knee injuries in each of the past two seasons have cast a serious doubt, he’ll have to prove it now during the grind of training camp.

“I can just come into camp with an open mind and I don’t feel a ton of pressure on me,” Claxton said Wednesday after the Hawks wrapped up their second practice of training camp. “The first year I came in as the starting point guard and last year everybody was wondering if I could come back from the [knee] injury. I don’t think there is anything really expected of me at this point.

“It’s sort of like let’s see what happens. If he can help us, cool. And if not, let’s move on.”

That’s exactly what the Hawks did last season. They drafted Law with the 11th pick in the 2007 NBA draft and then acquired Bibby at the February trade deadline. Meanwhile Claxton sat out the entire season with a knee injury that would ultimately require surgery.

Claxton will make $5.76 million this season and $5.2 million in 2009-10, the final year of the four-year, $25 million deal he signed with the Hawks two years ago.

Claxton broke his hand just days before his first training camp with the Hawks and wound up playing just 42 games that season. Last year was supposed to be his redemption season.

But after resuming his starting role throughout training camp, knee troubles forced him out of the lineup and out of the playing rotation for good.

So after two days of camp thus far, Hawks coach Mike Woodson is hesitant to heap any extra pressure on Claxton.

“All we’re doing from an organizational and coaching standpoint is taking things one day at a time with Speedy,” Woodson said. “A lot of it is up to Speedy. Where he goes with his game and helping us win basketball games … his health is the main issue.

“And it’s funny, we were watching exhibition games from last season earlier today. Speedy made it all through our running program and was starting for us in exhibition season and played well. Then he got hurt and couldn’t play the regular season. So we’re just trying to watch him closely and hoping that he’s healthy enough to play.”

For the record, Claxton said his knees feel fine and that he’s optimistic that he can contribute if called upon. But there’s no telling where he might fit into the playing rotation with not only Bibby and Law slated for minutes, but also newcomer Flip Murray also capable of working at point guard.

“It’s hard,” Woodson said. “It’s hard to play five or six perimeter guys. There just aren’t enough minutes. But as far as I’m concerned it’s about who is healthy and who is producing. That’s the name of the game.”

It’s a game Claxton played to perfection in his previous stops, mostly as a backup, in Philadelphia, San Antonio, Golden State and New Orleans. Claxton won a championship with the Spurs in 2003.

“I played against Speedy when he was in Golden State and Speedy is a top point guard,” Bibby said. “So for him to be off the radar is just stupid. I mean, I know he hasn’t played. But he has it in him. He just has to come out and do it.”

And while others might be prepared to write Claxton off again this season, Bibby is not.

“You never know what can happen,” he said. “There are always injuries and stuff that happens. That’s how people get their playing time. I can use Kevin Martin [in Sacramento] as an example. He didn’t play that much his first year but somebody got hurt and he got his chance. He came in and showed everybody what he could do and blossomed into a hell of a player.

“You’ve got to get your chance. And you’ve got to be in the right situation. The way I see it, things happen for reason. And if it’s meant to happen it happens.”

And while others might be prepared to write Claxton off again this season, Bibby is not.

“You never know what can happen,” he said. “There are always injuries and stuff that happens. That’s how people get their playing time. I can use Kevin Martin [in Sacramento] as an example. He didn’t play that much his first year but somebody got hurt and he got his chance. He came in and showed everybody what he could do and blossomed into a hell of a player.

Translation

"Dude. You know I'm made of paper mache. I get hurt all the damn time. I'm the hurtingest damn PG in the entire damn league! Speedy will get his minutes!"

• Premium Member

Woodson had BETTER play the heck out of Speedy the first 10 games of the season.

If Claxton plays in more than 10 games, any incentive for the Hawks for him to retire is gone. They have to find out how much he can hold up right away.

You guys are so negative. Speedy being healthy does move Acie to #10 or #11 on the roster. Speedy healthy leads the second unit with Flip, Mo, Solomon and Zaza. As much as youse hate, Speedy is way better than Acie and Flip will demand PT by his skills and will.

Being healthy is only half of the battle, who knows where his skill and athleticism are at. If he's "healthy" but can't play at a high level then he isn't much use.

Either one of Claxton or Law has to come forward as the defensive stopper PG this season. Bibby just can't stay in front of quick PGs.

A healthy Claxton, who plays like he did in N.O., is a huge piece to the Hawks puzzle as he can nuetralize one of the Hawks' biggest problems last year, the quick, penetrating PG.

Law can be used as an off guard as well. I still would like to see him play some significant minutes at the 2 to get his offense going. Law showed in the playoffs that he can guard the larger PGs, that Bibby, once again, has problems guarding.

The more I look at Bibby and his complete lack of defense, the more I want to trade him...Bring Kirk home Sund!

Either one of Claxton or Law has to come forward as the defensive stopper PG this season. Bibby just can't stay in front of quick PGs.

A healthy Claxton, who plays like he did in N.O., is a huge piece to the Hawks puzzle as he can nuetralize one of the Hawks' biggest problems last year, the quick, penetrating PG.

Law can be used as an off guard as well. I still would like to see him play some significant minutes at the 2 to get his offense going. Law showed in the playoffs that he can guard the larger PGs, that Bibby, once again, has problems guarding.

The more I look at Bibby and his complete lack of defense, the more I want to trade him...Bring Kirk home Sund!

yeah Speedy can defend quick guards, Law can defend all guards,Bibby can't defend anybody period.

• Moderators

On a serious note, anything we get from Speedy this year is gravy as far as I am concerned. If he can be a defensive stopper and play some backup PG, that could be very, very valuable off the bench.

On a serious note, anything we get from Speedy this year is gravy as far as I am concerned. If he can be a defensive stopper and play some backup PG, that could be very, very valuable off the bench.

That is exactly how I see it as well. I refuse to even CONSIDER the possibility that he can be a key piece for this team until he proves that he can play half a season without suffering a significant injury. No doubt a healthy Speedy would be a TERRIFIC backup for Bibby because his strengths are Bibby's weaknesses but until Speedy proves me wrong, I'm counting on either Flip or Acie to be our primary backup at PG.

• Admin
That is exactly how I see it as well. I refuse to even CONSIDER the possibility that he can be a key piece for this team until he proves that he can play half a season without suffering a significant injury. No doubt a healthy Speedy would be a TERRIFIC backup for Bibby because his strengths are Bibby's weaknesses but until Speedy proves me wrong, I'm counting on either Flip or Acie to be our primary backup at PG.

Its nice to have quality options at pg though. I don't remember that last time we had so many good pgs on our roster.

Being healthy is only half of the battle, who knows where his skill and athleticism are at. If he's "healthy" but can't play at a high level then he isn't much use.

That is probably more true for most than I'd say it is for Speedy. Speedy has never been a good shooter in his career. Most of his buckets are because of his speed and ability to beat his man to the basket. His defense was his greatest asset and helped him considerably on defense. If he's still got his speed, which according to some reports he does, then he'll be fine in a limited backup role.