• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lack of frontcourt depth was obvious last night.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Did anyone else notice that Smith, Horford, and Pachulia were all in foul trouble at various points last night?

I know playing against guys like Dwight Howard is the exception not the norm, but the Hawks are going to have to get something out of Morris or Jones to be successful IMHO.

{Jones did give a few quality minutes last night}.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else notice that Smith, Horford, and Pachulia were all in foul trouble at various points last night?

I know playing against guys like Dwight Howard is the exception not the norm, but the Hawks are going to have to get something out of Morris or Jones to be successful IMHO.

It was obvious before the season too which is why some media outlets aren't showing the Hawks much love. Just think what would happen if Smith or Horford gets hurt.

• Premium Member

I'm not praising the Hawks right now. I'm happy we won, but this is a team we know very well. I mean, we have played them about 5 times in the preseason. Josh Smith knows Howard and Evans had a lot to prove. I'm glad that Lewis had an off game... and that JJ stepped up but this was a team we know.

I'm looking forward to see what happens with Brand and Dalembert.

Even though they didn't win, Dalembert had 17 boards. Our bigs will be tested in the next game. And we don't know this team so well. I hope that Zaza plays good again. I hope that Smoove continues going to the goal. I hope we keep the momentum.

I'm not praising the Hawks right now. I'm happy we won, but this is a team we know very well. I mean, we have played them about 5 times in the preseason. Josh Smith knows Howard and Evans had a lot to prove. I'm glad that Lewis had an off game... and that JJ stepped up but this was a team we know.

I'm looking forward to see what happens with Brand and Dalembert.

Even though they didn't win, Dalembert had 17 boards. Our bigs will be tested in the next game. And we don't know this team so well. I hope that Zaza plays good again. I hope that Smoove continues going to the goal. I hope we keep the momentum.

Boy, talk about a half empty glass! WE WON AGAINST A TOP EASTERN TEAM ON THE ROAD!!!!!!

We were horrible on the road last season. Just the fact that we WON A ROAD GAME should make everyone happy

on this board, but no. We beat a very talented Orlando team with 3 huge players in their statting 5 that give everyone matchup troubles and we came out ahead. We dominated the whole game! I think some of you people actually hope the Hawks lose so you can say "I told you so".

Pardon the interruption ... but don't the Magic know us just as well? Weren't they the home team? Weren't they team that has won more games than us every year and advanced farther in the playoffs last year?

Smoove wasn't in foul trouble last night, but depth is a concern. However, the Lakers have a 3 man rotation for PF and C...and that's what they are gonna go with for the season. And Marvin has the size of a PF also, so we can't forget him. So it's a league wide concern. You should have seen the Rockets rotation last night, if you think we have problems

Uhhh, using your criteria don't the Magic have an even worse FC problem? Dwight had 5 fouls and Shard fouled out and Battie/Gortat were terrible. Smith only had 3 fouls and Zaza was nice off the bench.

Pardon the interruption ... but don't the Magic know us just as well? Weren't they the home team? Weren't they team that has won more games than us every year and advanced farther in the playoffs last year?

I agree, last night's win was very impressive. The Hawks were able to weather Magic runs in the 2nd and 4th. I don't think last year that happens. Plus, this was a road win in a place were the Hawks have problems. Big win no matter how you cut it. Maturity and having Murry is what got us this win.

Now the team just needs to sustain the effort.

:beer:

• Premium Member

All of that is true... however, check our own history... we fair well against Orlando last year (2-1, 1 road win). It's a team that we know fairly well. Not to mention we have already played against them 3-4 times this offseason. You all criticize Woody's coaching but if Woody's coaching showed 1 thing last year, it showed that he can make adjustments on a game by game basis. In other words, we have had time to look at everything they do and make adjustments. With a rival like Orlando, I don't think Home court really holds that much of an advantage. I just think our familiarity with Orlando played a big role.

If we do the same to Philly, I will drive the championship or bust bus!!!

Yes, which is why I'm worried.

Dwight was the only true center on the floor last night.

There are only a handful of "true centers" in the league with any talent. We just beat arguably the best one. Dwight Howard is one of the best players int he league at drawing fouls - we certainly do have questionable depth in the frontcourt but Howard average 11 FTs a game last season and we were fouling him intentionally in the fourth. Last night wasn't great evidence about our frontcourt problems unless you are concerned that Howard went off and got his averages from last season.

I'm concerned that the 4/5 rotation is just three players deep currently. (I'm not sure Marvin counts just yet).

And that those three players had a total of 13 fouls.

No sense in worrying about it now since there's little, if anything, we can do about it. I would love if we could trade Speedy and get a decent big in return but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

There are only a handful of "true centers" in the league with any talent. We just beat arguably the best one. Dwight Howard is one of the best players int he league at drawing fouls - we certainly do have questionable depth in the frontcourt but Howard average 11 FTs a game last season and we were fouling him intentionally in the fourth. Last night wasn't great evidence about our frontcourt problems unless you are concerned that Howard went off and got his averages from last season.

I can count on one hand true, talented centers.

Yao.

Dwight.

Amare.

Al Jefferson.

Who did I miss? I love Horf but I don't think he is a "true" NBA center.