3APG

12.7PPG

Here are his numbers in L's:

31.9MPG

43%FG

7RPG

2.2APG

8.6PPG

Al's scoring is so much needed. When his offense is flat, the Hawks are most likely to lose. Pretty sizable difference in the scoring and shooting.

Josh Smith shoots 28% in L's and 50% in wins.

Strange enough, the more JJ scores, the Hawks are more likely to lose:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/splits?playerId=1007

He averages nearly 2 more 3PT attempts in L's.

Al needs to be more effective on the offensive end. It barely shows how bad the Hawks need that inside scoring.

Excellent post.

This is why I think the Hawks need to cut Gardner and bring in a veteran center. On those games where one or more of the bigs are struggling, a vet could bring some consistency.

What the Hawks need is an assistant coach that can teach Horford and Smith how to score inside. They are always in a hurry to put up off balance, contested shots over bigger players. What they should be doing is stay patient, use their quickness and pump fakes to get the defenders to commit, then go up for the shot.

Horford turns it over in the post almost as often as he scores. Smith constantly throws up desperation off balance shots that have little chance to go in.

What the Hawks need is an assistant coach that can teach Horford and Smith how to score inside. They are always in a hurry to put up off balance, contested shots over bigger players. What they should be doing is stay patient, use their quickness and pump fakes to get the defenders to commit, then go up for the shot.

Horford turns it over in the post almost as often as he scores. Smith constantly throws up desperation off balance shots that have little chance to go in.

exactly!!!

Horf needs someone to teach him how to be a big man on the Offensive side of the ball. He cant play with his back to the basket. He cant dribble while backing down a defender without looking down at the ball. So he cant see an open man, if he has to kick the ball out. He has to get that free throw line shot down. Team leave him open for that shot right at the line he could murder alot of people if he could knock that down.

Josh is starting to improve but what i notice is when he doesnt show up on the defensive end, rebounding and slashing to the goal. We lose also.

i wonder does woody look at the same games we do.

This is a damn good thread. I guess it really is becoming obvious, because I was beginning to notice this as well.

It would definitely be a luxury to have a consistently scoring big down there...I don't know about you guys, but I'd take Biedrins. I can't think of what we'd have to give up for him, but I'd take the man.

This is a damn good thread. I guess it really is becoming obvious, because I was beginning to notice this as well.

It would definitely be a luxury to have a consistently scoring big down there...I don't know about you guys, but I'd take Biedrins. I can't think of what we'd have to give up for him, but I'd take the man.

Yeah, it's a 4 or 5PPG difference between the W's and the L's. I still think either Marvin Williams or Josh Smith has got to go. Either that, or one becomes the 6th man. Which I can't see either being happy with long term.

Just get a center and move Horford to the bench. it isnt that hard

That would be an awful idea! You put bench quality players on the bench or guys that aren't ready to be starters on the bench. Horford has proven that he is a starting caliber player.

As Exodus mentioned the thing that we need is a big man coach that can teach them to score in the post. I wonder what Shareef is doing these days and if he'd be a guy that could help. He was tremendous at scoring in the paint and I imagine he could teach Al and Josh and even Marvin a few things.

Last night, 4th quarter:

Did you notice all those assists Josh S. was getting. And, those rebounds!

That was the spark that lit the fire under the Hawks. This is the Josh we've

been looking for.

Making good decisions. He means so much when he is able to do his thing

this way and forgets about being a jumpshooter. Now, his jump shots and

those 3's he loves are great when they're falling. Sometimes, he takes them

because the clock is running out and sometimes because he's so wide open

and everyone else is covered well.

The rust seems to have come off his free throw shooting. He's now driving to

the hoop more, thus getting some monster jams and drawing more fouls. Great!

But, all those assists! That means that he made the proper pass at the proper

time and the results - - A score!

I believe that last night's game was Josh's best since he returned, especially

that fourth quarter.

Last night, 4th quarter:

Did you notice all those assists Josh S. was getting. And, those rebounds!

That was the spark that lit the fire under the Hawks. This is the Josh we've

been looking for.

Making good decisions. He means so much when he is able to do his thing

this way and forgets about being a jumpshooter. Now, his jump shots and

those 3's he loves are great when they're falling. Sometimes, he takes them

because the clock is running out and sometimes because he's so wide open

and everyone else is covered well.

The rust seems to have come off his free throw shooting. He's now driving to

the hoop more, thus getting some monster jams and drawing more fouls. Great!

But, all those assists! That means that he made the proper pass at the proper

time and the results - - A score!

I believe that last night's game was Josh's best since he returned, especially

that fourth quarter.

I noticed that too. Smith played like a moron for the first three quarters and then suddenly in the 4th he started making good decisions with the ball. he was faking his shot, driving to the basket and if nothing was there he would stay patient and find the open man. I was like "who is this smart player in a Josh Smith costume?". hopefully he shows up more often.

One thing I've noticed with Josh since he came back from injury is his inconsistency on defense. I can't tell you how many times I've been frustrated with him for not jumping out at a jump shooter or taking the lazy road out and not making a play in the lane. It seems to me he's a little too worried about the foul the referees are going to call on him so he's being cautious. Of course when he's been committing those fouls he's been challenging nearly every call the refs make. If he could play like he did in the 4th quarter last night about 75% of the time we could be on to something.

And you guys couldn't be more right... Al has got to develop his inside game. If he could only learn to execute a pump fake or two I think it would do wonders for his game.

• Moderators

To me, Horford and Smith should be able to abuse a lot of big men with their interior passes. I don't know if people followed UK back a few years when their PF & C were Chuck Hayes and Erik Daniels but they were both undersized but they killed people with their ability to make smart passes to one another. I don't see why Smoove and Horford couldn't do some of that with their passing ability and superior speed.

To me, Horford and Smith should be able to abuse a lot of big men with their interior passes. I don't know if people followed UK back a few years when their PF & C were Chuck Hayes and Erik Daniels but they were both undersized but they killed people with their ability to make smart passes to one another. I don't see why Smoove and Horford couldn't do some of that with their passing ability and superior speed.

Maybe because Hayes and Daniels have more offensive skills then Smith or Horford. They just lack size and ability.