• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you trade Joe Johnson for Carmello Anthony?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Mods this is not really about a trade proposal!

This was a question that Sekou postulated in talking about JJ being a star. I say, let's put some gravy on this. If we traded Marvin.. let's say somehow, we were able to trade Marvin, Josh Smith and a whole lot of other stuff for Al Jefferson and Mike Miller. (Just postulation.

Would you then consider trading Joe Johnson for Carmello Anthony?

Is Joe Johnson a better SG as Carmello is a Sf?

For those of you who are not so quick to play the homer card....

Here's the particulars:

Season Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG

08-09 DEN 26 26 34.0 0.431 0.437 0.786 1.9 5.6 7.5 3.5 1.0 0.3 3.50 2.90 21.0

8-09 ATL 28 28 39.8 0.450 0.354 0.820 0.9 3.8 4.8 5.6 1.1 0.5 2.68 2.50 22.6

So basically, here's the big question.

Can we start calling Joe Johnson All star?

Looking at this season, if we would trade JJ for Carmelo, I think we would go one step back. JJ is a big card, everybody knows that and also everybody knows, how important JJ is for Hawks. Trade JJ for Carmelo - it's big risk and I think we don't have a lot of chances to be better team with Carmelo than with JJ.

• Premium Member
I think without a doubt you can call Joe Johnson All Star. I believe the only missing piece was the team actually being competitive.

OK, now that you have taken the bait... Follow up:

Can you put Joe in the class with Kobe, James, Wade, and Tmac?

• Premium Member
Looking at this season, if we would trade JJ for Carmelo, I think we would go one step back. JJ is a big card, everybody knows that and also everybody knows, how important JJ is for Hawks. Trade JJ for Carmelo - it's big risk and I think we don't have a lot of chances to be better team with Carmelo than with JJ.

Welcome Dani...

I agree with what you say. For us, JJ holds a lot of value. Our whole offense is reliant upon what JJ is going to do. His play opens doors for Marvin and Flip and Mo. He, Flip, and Bibs are the only ones on the team who can create for themselves.

• Premium Member

This was a question that Sekou postulated in talking about JJ being a star. I say, let's put some gravy on this. If we traded Marvin.. let's say somehow, we were able to trade Marvin, Josh Smith and a whole lot of other stuff for Al Jefferson and Mike Miller. (Just postulation.

Here's the particulars:

H@ll Noooooo............Not a chance in 100. I am not a Anthony fan.

Kobe, James, and Wade not quite because they have won championships or been to the finals. Tmac yeah I will put him in that class. So in my opinion Joe and T-mac are just a notch below the other three guys.

This reminds me of the talk about Dominique when compared to Magic, Bird, and Jordan.

I dont make that trade for Anthony. To me JJ brings more to the table than Anthony does. JJ is a better defender, a better team player(even though JJ sometimes has his selfish moments) and has more range and is a threat anywhere on the court. IMO.

I consider JJ an allstar. Personally i really dont see the difference in JJ and the other stars you just mentioned, besides that those other stars have a great supporting cast around them to help them win. Like BeeSwatter said its like the old Nique talk.

Right now, for this season, I wouldn't trade Joe for Mello. Joe is just a better all around player and certainly doesn't have the sometimes volatile personality that Mello has shown.

However, over the long haul, if I knew that I could lock Mello up for a long contract, I would simply based on the age discrepancy.

Mello - 24

JJ - 29

And to answer your other question I would put Joe as the 3rd best sg in the league. But a tier 2 player. Kobe and Wade are tier 1's.

Right now, for this season, I wouldn't trade Joe for Mello. Joe is just a better all around player and certainly doesn't have the sometimes volatile personality that Mello has shown.

However, over the long haul, if I knew that I could lock Mello up for a long contract, I would simply based on the age discrepancy.

Mello - 24

JJ - 29

Joe is 27, not 29. Does that change your opinion now?

If we were sitting at .500 I would give it some thought. But, we are 19-10 and playing very well, and have had 2 big winning streaks this season and beaten some good teams, so there's no way I could make the trade now. Not to mention, in most of the games we've lost, we had plenty of chances to win.

Carmelo is also a terrible defender and not as good a passer.

Tmac isn't in the class with the previous three. I'd actually take JJ over him at this point, his back has just given out and he's nowhere near the player he used to be.

This reminds me of the Nique for Danny Manning trade haha. I wouldn't do it. Even though Melo is younger and probably equal to if not better over all than JJ. My thing is this team has been slowly developed around JJ. His style of play, leadership, and personality. Who knows what you get if Carmelo is thrown in the mix. Things could implode quickly. I don't see him and Smith being a good combination. So no, I wouldn't make the trade.

Here's the particulars:

I know Melo doesnt get much love on here so most would say hell no. but I dont have a problem with the kid and can actually say that Melo is the better player(not by much tho) but as a Hawks and JJ fan, i dont think this is a trade we have to make...it wouldnt make us that much better.

This trade wouldnt make the Hawks or Nuggets a bad team tho...i think both teams would remain competitive still. They actully have some similarities in their game..big guys who can score in bunches, post up. JJ is a better long distant shooter while Carmelo is better geting to the basket and finishing. Melo is also a bit younger.

And Joe Johnson has been an All Star already right?? so i dont get why u would ask if he is one

• Admin

Here's the particulars:

No chance...I think Carmelo is one of the most overrated players in the league.

I don't know why he gets so much 'elite' status consideration when he is just a good player.

JJ is a little underrated. I don't think he is an elite player either but I think he is just a notch below.

Good thread Diesel. I'll reply right here, before even reading the rest of the thread.

In JJ's first year here, He was one of only 5 players who scored more than 1600 points . . had 500 assists . . and 100 steals. In that year, I think it was LeBron, Arenas, Wade, and I think Iverson.

To me . . JJ is the ish.

He not only can score, he can take on the burden of being the playmaker if called upon. Plus he's an above average defender.

You can put him in that class, because he's that important to the Hawks. He may not be as charasmatic or as athletic as those guys, but he's an elite talent in this league.

It's just a shame that some in our fan base has always doubted him, because he may not can do as much as those top level guys. It's amazing though what happens, when you surround him with shooters, and guys who play decent defense.

Heck no would I trade him for Melo . . . and l LOVE Melo's offensive game.