This Team Should Be Much Better Than Our Record

AtLaS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I still don't see the point. Are you arguing I should feel worse because the Hawks have injuries and went 3-2 against some teams that also had injuries? Sorry I don't. And as for the losses they did occur when we had a starter out. Every writer in the sports world told me before the season if one or more starters go down this team would struggle. Well, guess they were right and wrong. 3-2 is still a winning record. 26 is wins is still good enough for 4th in division and we have had considerable time missed by the starting 5.

The point is that the Hawks struggles have to do with the way they are playing, not injuries.

This month we barely beat Houston without Tmac, Artest and Battier. We beat the Bucks without Bogut and Toronto without JO, Calderon and Calderon's backup. We beat the Clippers without Baron and Kaman. We beat Chicago without Gooden.

The injury issue has been heavily in the hawks favor this year.

Yeah, we're just playing like crap. JJ's bad play has a lot to do with it. Save the last 2 games, Bibby has been great and Josh Smith has really picked it up. I'm not blaming this on Horford because our problems are mostly offensively and he's not one of our goto players. We are just running terrible offensive sets and not running the P&R when it consistently works. The only two times we ran it last night we got dunks by Flip and Solo, and they aren't even our good P&R players.

We have absolutely no plays to run when we are struggling to score or the opposing team is on a run, and that is sad because we definitely have the offensive talent to be able to score the ball. The fact that we are a top 10 offensive team and we don't have any plays just proves how much offensive potential this team has.

But, the difference in our success earlier in the year compared to now is JJ's horrid play. Regardless, we have other ways of getting easy baskets but we don't use them.

It just screams coaching problem when we are playing so schitzo, the teams below us that are playing just as good basketball as us are nowhere NEAR as talented. We should be closer to the top 3 than the bottom 4.

The fact that we can't play on the road also pisses me off.

• Premium Member
I can understand dropping 2 in a row, it happens. What I have a hard time understanding is how the hawks have continous streaks where you lose by the SAME MISTAKES.

there for a while- it was coming out and getting murdered in the first quarter- thus forcing big comebacks each time.

now-- there has been the 7 minute streak at the end of the suns game with no baskets- then --what was it -- a 12 minute streak last night?

i can see getting beat differently- but you shouldnt drop games back-to-back for the same reasons- thats coaching.

Before you get to the 7 minute and 12 minute stretches, I think you hve to look at what happened before. We were done big to Miami. We went on a 26-9 stretch to get it back respectable to within 7. Then Miami started dropping three point bombs and catching fouls. Simply a sign that we tired ourselves out coming back.

• Premium Member
My point is you using revisionist history. Marvin missed only 2 games which isn't significant time. Many of the teams we played were missing one or more starters that were far more important to their teams than Horford is to us. It isn't like we were missing JJ or Smith during the last 13 games.

You're going to have to explain this one... You're making the statement on the basis of a player who is in a slump this year is missing from the other team and they beat us and now all the sudden, he's worth more to his team than our only real starting quality Center is to us? Beyond the mere stats, Horf helps to anchor our defense. Without Horf, Smoove has to hang out in the middle...and we allow teams to beat us from the midrange and from three.

You're going to have to explain this one... You're making the statement on the basis of a player who is in a slump this year is missing from the other team and they beat us and now all the sudden, he's worth more to his team than our only real starting quality Center is to us? Beyond the mere stats, Horf helps to anchor our defense. Without Horf, Smoove has to hang out in the middle...and we allow teams to beat us from the midrange and from three.

Hmm lets see.

The Clipps were missing Baron, Zbo and kaman. Do you think Horford being was more significant than those three.

The Rockets were missing Artest, McGrady and Battier. Care to argue that one?

The Bucks were missing Bogut who pissed on the Hawks and Horford last year, averaging 22/10 shooting 60%.

Chicago was missing Gooden who is by far their best frontcourt player. I believe Hughes was out that game too.

We beat Toronto without JO, Caleron and Calderon's backup.

Those are our 5 wins this month. Are you trying to argue that Horford being out was more significant than the injury problems those teams had?

Well, what would Al have done last night? It's not like he is a good offensive player. It's not as if Miami was lighting it up most of last night.

Heat coach Erick Spoelstra talked about it before his team dismantled the Hawks Monday night.

“Horford is a strong element they’re missing,” Spoelstra said. “We noticed that the last time we played. He’s one of the very best team defenders in the league. He really is amazing.”

Where was Horford's defense when Smith was out with a bad ankle? Other teams were having a field day in the paint.

I can't ever recall a coach badmouthing an opposing team after he just blew them out. They are always going to be complimentary because they know they will have to play again.

Where was Horford's defense when Smith was out with a bad ankle? Other teams were having a field day in the paint.

I can't ever recall a coach badmouthing an opposing team after he just blew them out. They are always going to be complimentary because they know they will have to play again.

It was before the game. Funny thing is you guys act like Al wasn't a big part of our making the playoffs last year. He along with the trade for Bibby. It really amuses me how so called fans of a team seek nothing, but to down play their teams success and celebrate it's demise. Wow, have fun with that. God forbid we win a title one year. Might be a mass suicide in the city. :helpsmilie:

It was before the game. Funny thing is you guys act like Al wasn't a big part of our making the playoffs last year. He along with the trade for Bibby. It really amuses me how so called fans of a team seek nothing, but to down play their teams success and celebrate it's demise. Wow, have fun with that. God forbid we win a title one year. Might be a mass suicide in the city. :helpsmilie:

We won 37 games last year. We won 30 the year before (without Bibby and Horford) even though JJ missed 25 games. I fail to see the big difference.

If you want to hide from reality be my guest. You certainly seem good at it. Just don't think I am going to buy it.

We won 37 games last year. We won 30 the year before (without Bibby and Horford) even though JJ missed 25 games. I fail to see the big difference.

If you want to hide from reality be my guest. You certainly seem good at it. Just don't think I am going to buy it.

Let's look at reality....

We are the 4th seed in the East even with injuries. Those are the facts and our current reality, everything you are talking about are possibilities. So you hide from reality. I kind of like it hear.

Let's look at reality....

We are the 4th seed in the East even with injuries. Those are the facts and our current reality, everything you are talking about are possibilities. So you hide from reality. I kind of like it hear.

Like i said you are avoiding reality. You mention injuries as if they only happen to the Hawks. If Houston is missing Artest, McGrady and Battier it is no big deal. But if we are missing Horford (or Marvin for 2 games) it is a big deal.

All of our wins this month have been against teams without one or more key players. That isn't a possibility that is a reality.

The Hawks injury problems aren't bad at all relative to those of the teams they have faced so far. That is the reality you are hiding from.

Like i said you are avoiding reality. You mention injuries as if they only happen to the Hawks. If Houston is missing Artest, McGrady and Battier it is no big deal. But if we are missing Horford (or Marvin for 2 games) it is a big deal.

All of our wins this month have been against teams without one or more key players. That isn't a possibility that is a reality.

The Hawks injury problems aren't bad at all relative to those of the teams they have faced so far. That is the reality you are hiding from.

Wow man, you forget Zaza was down. I mean yes other teams have injuries, but of the teams that are currently ahead of us, who has had major injuries to deal with besides Cleveland? It's like your arguing the Hawks should be punished for playing well with injuries against other teams with injuries. Ha ha. Funny stuff man.

Wow man, you forget Zaza was down. I mean yes other teams have injuries, but of the teams that are currently ahead of us, who has had major injuries to deal with besides Cleveland? It's like your arguing the Hawks should be punished for playing well with injuries against other teams with injuries. Ha ha. Funny stuff man.

No i am arguing that the Hawks injuries can't be taken into consideration without also accounting for the injuries on the teams we played against. You are the one who brought injuries into the thread in the first place but made no mention of injuries to other teams.

Try naming the last game the Hawks won against a team that was healthier than the Hawks. Since the Hawks have been "playing well with injuries" it shouldn't be hard.

• Moderators
Try naming the last game the Hawks won against a team that was healthier than the Hawks. Since the Hawks have been "playing well with injuries" it shouldn't be hard.

I'd put Chicago in that category from one week ago 1/20. They had everyone healthy but Drew Gooden. We were missing Marvin, Acie and Horford.