• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How lame has the dunk contest been

capstone21

Nate Robinson was great in the second round. But I saw nothing that really impressed me from Howard, and the first round was obviously rigged, especially with all the props ready. The best dunk was robinson's 2nd, and the 2nd best dunk was fernandez's

Fernandez was robbed. Robinson did nothing special for his first dunk. Then he sprung off somebody's back for his second and still got a 41. Hell...Dwight should have brought out a trampoline and dunked from the 3 point line. that would have at least got him a 45. The dunk contest will never be as good as the Nique-Jordan era. To many gimmicks now. People say they have to do the gimmicks because everybody has seen those dunks but what is funny is i re watched the Nique Jordan showdown the other night and i was still going...WOW!!

Well, Dwight basically tried to use the fact that he could do things physically that nobody else could do...like dunking on a 12 foot rim with relative ease. He really should've switched it up on those dunks...but it was still wild to see him doing those crazy feats of athleticsism.

But Nate was just amazing...unlike the last time where he basically robbed it from Iguodala, he seriously won the thing. His dunks were amazing, and the kryptonite act was freaking awesome.

The dunk contest is getting better and better every year now.

Dunk contest = Professional 'Rasslin.

Yep. Same thing. Great athletes putting on an exibition of their skills.

Think about professional 'rasslin. Gamblers bet on everything. We see the odds

posted for almost any sport. If this is a sport, if it's real, why do we never see

the odds posted for any professional exibition?

They are great and their skills are real. But the outcome? Not so real. Same thing

is now happening with the dunk contest.

:sad:

That's because he did it in like the 12th tries. If he made it the first time--or even the second time-- he would've gotten a much higher score.

In the first round most people needed quite a few tries. And Nate Robinson's second dunk was just about the lamest dunk ive ever seen in a slam dunk contest. It was the type of dunk me and my friends used to do in gym class, and he still needed a second try. Even Rudy's first dunk was better than any that JR Smith did.

By the look in their faces, Smith and Rudy knew ahead of time that there was no way that they would make the second round, and given all the props there, the lame 50s Howard got, and how fast nate left to change his clothes, I think that is quite probable.

• Premium Member
I think this may have been my last dunk contest for a while. Too many gimmicks.

Dunks are becoming overrated at this point anyway...

When you really think of it... what else is there left to do?

You're asking these guys to be more creative or are you asking them to be more pure?

IMO, Howard was robbed.

Nobody else in the building could dunk on a 12 foot goal.

2ndly, Nate Vaulted over Howard using Howard's shoulder to give him extra lift. Just like he stepped on Chandler's back. Why not have somebody just carry you to the dunk?

3rd, Fernedez was cheated... Nate should not have made it to the finals.. BUT he would have gotten his butt handed to him.

Howard's mistake was doing the free throw dunk. It's old and played. It's the same reason why Smoove lost. Sure you can do it, but so... and?

However, if you are a purist.. how could you not stand up when Howard threw the ball off the side of the goal, caught it and dunked it. That's more amazing than Vince Carter putting his arm in the rim. Anybody playing basketball should know that coming from the side of a goal to the dunk is a long way. To get up high enough to get to that place is a damn mazing.

Moreover, 12 feet!! Not just arms dunking twelve feet but his head was there too.

You know what i say...

Make him pee in the cup.

• Moderators

* The League needs to replace the clock with a make-the-dunk-if-you-want-any-points deal. Three rounds, one try in each, toss out the low score. That's imperative. The clock takes bad, poorly conceived dunk attempts and makes them agonizingly worse.

Watching these players get desperate to make the same attempt five-or-six times, each time more hurried as the clock winds down, sucks the interest out of each player's round. If they're trying not to kill TV time, max each player's singular attempt at 2 minutes to get the cupcake/phone booth/wilson chandler props and everything in place and the dunk attempt done.

Rudy's dunks should've been enough to at least get to the next round, but the elitist judges clearly didn't want to give credit to a dude picked to participate by people's cellphones. Rudy smashes that second dunk on his first try and there'd be no way they'd give him an '8'. Instead we and the judges are watching with the "OK, we all saw what you were TRYING to do, can you wake us once you've done it?" attitude. I could've sworn one courtside guy was holding the '8' card in his hand just waiting for Rudy to finish.

50,000 people screaming not about a spectacular dunk, but just to get the ball back to Sonny Weems so he and J.R. don't run out of time botching another attempt... not Must See TV a'tall.

* Dwight changes the order of those dunks and he's a certified two-timing champ today.

* I'd have paid to have seen Smoove's impressions as the antidrama unfolded.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3