Hmmm..........

HawkItus

http://dimemag.com/2009/03/josh-smith-gets...h-mike-woodson/

Latest News, NBA / Mar 7, 2009 / 12:49 pm

Josh Smith Clashes With Mike Woodson

By Dime Magazine

Josh Smith 42-1.jpgJosh Smith

The Hawks, despite losing two in a row to the Knicks and Bobcats, are very quietly sitting at 34-28 in the upper crust of Eastern Conference playoff teams. That hasn’t stopped the drama though, evidenced by the reported clash between Josh Smith and Mike Woodson during halftime of last night’s game against Charlotte.

Just when things seem to be going really well, something like this happens. From Sekou Smith in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

What began as a promising week in Washington got downright nasty in Charlotte on Friday night after turning ugly in New York on Wednesday night.

The Hawks lost their second consecutive game to a sub-.500 opponent, dropping a 98-91 decision to the Bobcats at Time Warner Cable Arena.

They also lost more ground in the race for the fourth spot in the Eastern Conference standings. Their lead over Miami is now just a half a game.

And Hawks coach Mike Woodson benched starting power forward Josh Smith after halftime, the result of a heated disagreement between the two in the locker room during the break.

Smith refused to comment after the game, and Woodson said it was a “coach’s decision” and that Smith’s status for tonight’s game against Detroit would be determined later.

“That was coach’s call,” Hawks captain Joe Johnson said. “This is coach’s team. Whoever he wants to play plays, and if he doesn’t want you to play, you don’t play.”

Smith had 13 points, four rebounds and two blocks before leaving the game after playing only 21 minutes. But whatever transpired in the time it took the Hawks to get in and out of the locker room after halftime, changed everything.

This isn’t the first time these two have had issues and we’ve actually heard in the past from sources close to the team and players that most of the roster doesn’t care much for Woodson because of the all the offensive attention and leeway given to Joe Johnson.

Source: AJC

Edited by sultanofatl

• Premium Member
This isn’t the first time these two have had issues and we’ve actually heard in the past from sources close to the team and players that most of the roster doesn’t care much for Woodson because of the all the offensive attention and leeway given to Joe Johnson.

Wow!!! That's a hot one

• Premium Member
I'm less likely to believe it though. I mean, who's mad that Joe is the star of this team? Tell me, what player would be upset with that?

I can see Josh pulling a: "You let Joe take 3's" or "How come you never say anything to Joe"

I can see Josh pulling a: "You let Joe take 3's" or "How come you never say anything to Joe"

Or...saying, "I can't help but shoot because we pound the ball for 20 seconds then someone drives and gets doubled and I'm forced to shoot with one on the shot clock. Your lack of an offensive scheme hurts my game"...

Oh wait, that's me.

• Premium Member
i wonder if there is a play in Woodson's playbook for JJ to dribble between his legs 5 times before putting up a shot.

So we're picking on Joe now? still funny :laugh:

i wonder if there is a play in Woodson's playbook for JJ to dribble between his legs 5 times before putting up a shot.

:hush:

There might be some scouts from other teams trying to pick apart our offense. It's so well detailed and tough to decipher. Hate to give away our secrets.

i think what the players are made is that woody let joe get away with alot of bad shots. I still think all the players have respect for joe but not woody.

ask yourself this, in that bobcats game, if joe would have took that same shot smith took at the end of the 2nd quarter would woody have got in joes face? probably not.

Edited by hoodstar

I'm less likely to believe it though. I mean, who's mad that Joe is the star of this team? Tell me, what player would be upset with that?

I'm having trouble telling whether this is you trying to bait someone into saying that Marv should be taking more shots or whether you are serious so I'll just take you at face value.

That isn't what is being said here. Phil Jackson has gotten into Kobe for taking bad shots. Gregg Popovich has pulled Duncan before to tell him to get things together. Scott has told Paul to settle down. All these players are better than Joe by a significant margin and all of them are on a tighter leash (that being relative, all can basically do whatever they want) than Joe. No one would complain that Joe is the most marketed player, or handles the ball the most, or takes the most shots. The complaint is that Joe gets held to a completely different standard than both his teamates and even other stars in the league. I don't even think its because Woody is scared of Joe. I think Woody just doesn't have a better offense than letting Joe do whatever he wants.

As to whether or not guys like or dislike Woody... Smith, AJ, Zaza, Shel, and Salim all had public issues with him at one point or another over the past season and a half. I'm not sure what goes on behind closed doors though but its rare to see that many players have blowouts with their coach.

I'm having trouble telling whether this is you trying to bait someone into saying that Marv should be taking more shots or whether you are serious so I'll just take you at face value.

That isn't what is being said here. Phil Jackson has gotten into Kobe for taking bad shots. Gregg Popovich has pulled Duncan before to tell him to get things together. Scott has told Paul to settle down. All these players are better than Joe by a significant margin and all of them are on a tighter leash (that being relative, all can basically do whatever they want) than Joe. No one would complain that Joe is the most marketed player, or handles the ball the most, or takes the most shots. The complaint is that Joe gets held to a completely different standard than both his teamates and even other stars in the league. I don't even think its because Woody is scared of Joe. I think Woody just doesn't have a better offense than letting Joe do whatever he wants.

As to whether or not guys like or dislike Woody... Smith, AJ, Zaza, Shel, and Salim all had public issues with him at one point or another over the past season and a half. I'm not sure what goes on behind closed doors though but its rare to see that many players have blowouts with their coach.

In Woodson's defense all those guys you mentioned have been pretty much in the wrong on those fueds. They all challenged his coaching authority at some point and that's a nono. Good coach or not.

In Woodson's defense all those guys you mentioned have been pretty much in the wrong on those fueds. They all challenged his coaching authority at some point and that's a nono. Good coach or not.

What I said wasn't a qualitative assertion about Woody. It was a statement of fact in reference to D saying he didn't quite believe that Woody wasn't well loved (for a specific reason referenced in the article). The fact of the matter is, you don't see too many instances where that many players have public feuds with their coaches.

As to whether or not its right of them. Well, for the most part they probably shouldn't be insubordinate. I don't remember the specific circumstance of AJ's but I do remember being more on his side. On the other hand, I'm not sure what the best way of addressing a grievance with an ineffective coach at the pro level is. Certainly, when Magic and MJ thought they'd be better served with a different coach, they did what they thought they had to do. The fact that they are stars gave them more leverage but not more legitimacy in my eyes... they both probably turned out to be right though.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't think guys would be upset at a star player getting star attention in an offense. I'm sure that they all realize, as does everybody in the NBA, that Atlanta needs Joe to score. This isn't news by any stretch of the imagination as all teams focus their offense around someone.

I think the issue is that there is no diversity in the offense. I don't think the guys take so much issue in the focus being put on JJ, as much as they do in there not being much done to cater to the skills of anyone else.

Either way, I have seen enough of this team to know that there is too much "Give it to Joe" and not enough "move it around." I believe what was said there...

You're kidding right? We watched Joe shoot under 40% for 2009 and you think nobody on the hawks said "dude, I was open". Fact is, Acie Law got benched because he hasn't developed as a jump shooter. Salim is out of town and the NBA because of brushes with Woodson. Anthony Johnson is out of town. Pachulia bumped heads with him and is now a backup. Woodson has made only 3 friends on the Hawks I can think of and they all shoot jumpers. Bibby, Flip and Johnson.

For Woodson to earn my respect back, this is what needs to happen. The next time one of his guys goes to the basket (other than Joe) and gets hacked by a star from the other team and no foul is called, I want to see him blow his lid. I want to see his clip board thrown and I want cuss words. I want to see Joey Crawford toss him to the locker room. If I were a player on this team, I'd seriously wonder at this point if coach had my back.

So here's the scenario. A breakaway with Bibby in the middle, Josh on one wing, Horford on the other. Bibbs dishes to Horf and he goes strong to the hole. Dwayne Wade puts a forearm in Horf's chest on his way up. Horf scores but goes to the floor hard. No foul call. Smith rushes in and gets in Wade's face drawing a Technical. Woodson seizes his opportunity...the clipboard goes flying. He jumps in and pushes the irate forward back and starts in on the official. First he's T'd up for leaving the coaches box and he knows it. He points to Wade and starts yelling about the star treatment and at some point yells at the top of his lungs, "you're probably getting paid just like Tim Donaghy". Bam Woodson is Ejected. A huge fine is sure to follow from the NBA. But the players watch their coach walk back to the locker room and once again he is their coach. He stood up for one of them. He interceded to keep Josh in the game and defended Horford as an equal on the court compared to other star players. Bottom line he does his job and earns back their respect.

The problem here is he won't do it. Here is the last fine for Woodson I could find that had to do with questioning the referees.

3/17/06

The NBA fined Mike Woodson (Atl) $20,000 and Josh Smith (Atl) $15,000 for

comments they made regarding the refs following Monday's Atl-Mil game.

Taken from http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/fines.html#07-08

nobody has yet answer my question.

No obviously not, but I actually think that at this point Joe and Josh are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Woody thinks Joe missed that shot because he's shooting poorly and doesn't want to ruin his confidence (possibly true) and Woody doesn't want Josh taking that shot because he doesn't think he has to ability to make it consistently (possibly true). Woody also doesn't connect well with Josh so I think he tries to communicate with him through press conferences and stuff which he doesn't do with other players even when they are in slumps (for example, Josh is shooting, %-wise, way better than Joe this season but if Josh has a bad night shooting the ball, Woody would reference it in the presser, not for Joe though).

This could just be my arm-chair sports-psych, but it makes some sense.