• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged x 2: Hawks vs Cavs

tonegully

• Premium Member
Anyone? 39 seconds, down 6, is an incredibly winnable scenario. Kudos to Mario for forcing two turnovers, Flip for creating crazy offense, Othello Hunter for not being entirely worthless. From 13 to 6 in under a minute.

I mean, the Cleveland starters (sans James) went back in, so why not throw JJ and Horford back in and see if you can't pull a win out of the crap heap?

I took that as coaching respect. Neither coach reached for their starters. We were basically giving our young guys time because we had waived the white flag. I was really hoping that Flip could pull a Reggie Miller and drop 2 threes in 9 seconds and get us going but... maybe it's better this way. Our team needs to taste this defeat and understand thatwe have a lot to overcome when we play them... BUT.. we are not going to be blown out by them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took that as coaching respect. Neither coach reached for their starters. We were basically giving our young guys time because we had waived the white flag. I was really hoping that Flip could pull a Reggie Miller and drop 2 threes in 9 seconds and get us going but... maybe it's better this way. Our team needs to taste this defeat and understand thatwe have a lot to overcome when we play them... BUT.. we are not going to be blown out by them.

Yes, but you also forced Cleveland to put their starters back in. Mo Williams, big Z, and Delonto West came back in. Apparently Mike Brown decided he didn't want to see his scrubs lose the game. Why didn't we see Atlanta try to steal that victory back? We're in an actual race for home court, here-we can't just GIVE wins away.

And then, after we somehow got a stop with our bottom five, we didn't call a timeout, down 6 with 15 seconds, and put shooters on the floor and attempt to get a three. Is it really some kind of disrespect to attempt to win a close game at the end after you already have pulled your starters? Got to pull a Herm Edwards here-"You play to win the game."

They didn't even try. If you had anyone on the floor besides Flip who could score, you could given a couple of fouls-they had Darnell Jackson the floor-and tried to prolong the game, and Joe had been hot shooting, and Mo had hit a few threes...isn't it a disrespect to the fans to just GIVE away a game when you're jockeying for playoff positioning?

• Premium Member
Yes, but you also forced Cleveland to put their starters back in. Mo Williams, big Z, and Delonto West came back in. Apparently Mike Brown decided he didn't want to see his scrubs lose the game. Why didn't we see Atlanta try to steal that victory back? We're in an actual race for home court, here-we can't just GIVE wins away.

And then, after we somehow got a stop with our bottom five, we didn't call a timeout, down 6 with 15 seconds, and put shooters on the floor and attempt to get a three. Is it really some kind of disrespect to attempt to win a close game at the end after you already have pulled your starters? Got to pull a Herm Edwards here-"You play to win the game."

They didn't even try. If you had anyone on the floor besides Flip who could score, you could given a couple of fouls-they had Darnell Jackson the floor-and tried to prolong the game, and Joe had been hot shooting, and Mo had hit a few threes...isn't it a disrespect to the fans to just GIVE away a game when you're jockeying for playoff positioning?

I don't know. Maybe Drew was trying to inspire the young guys and the vets by letting the young guys try to bring it in.

I was pissed when Josh laid in the floor on the offensive end after he was fouled. Somebody got to tell him that he's not going to be pampered like Lebron.

• Premium Member
As long as Lebron didn't come in the game, Cleveland felt that they had the game in hand.

But it definitely was a weird situation...down 6 with 39 to go is definitely a dangerous situation.

If Flip hits the shot with roughly 18 seconds left... I think Brown goes to his bench and pulls Lebron back out. Our press was working.

If I'm coaching in the playoffs round two.. I start the first quarter of our first road game against Cleveland pressing just like we did. I would put in Rio, Flip, Mo, Josh, and Horf and we press, press, press for 1 straight quarter. I really don't think Cleveland have guards that can handle full court pressure. All of their guards are converted OGs... Press them!

Actually, a problem with the way this game finished (IMHO) is that we bombed away with threes and actually hit some to make it relatively close (although never really in doubt)during garbage time. We would have been better off had we kept on bricking threes and had lost by 20. Now these bombers might actually think they accomplished something with their perimeter-only offense.

Edited by DJlaysitup

Actually, a problem with the way this game finished (IMHO) is that we bombed away with threes and actually hit some to make it relatively close (although never really in doubt)during garbage time. We would have been better off had we kept on bricking threes and had lost by 20. Now these bombers might actually think they accomplished something with their perimeter-only offense.

Well, it didn't quite happen that way. It started with pesky defense, they created a couple of turnovers and then Flip got to the foul line. Flip was the only actual offensively talented player on the floor, and he did all the scoring. He got a couple in the lane, four more at the line, and the last 6 points came via a couple open threes.

If he thought he was just hot and feeling it at that point, he rectified that by missing two more threes on the last offensive possession (though I think on that last shot he was trying to draw a foul).

I disagree. One would have said the same last year if they saw any of our regular season games against Boston. Going in, everybody thought we would be happy to be there and get swept. Well, I think now we develop the thick skin. Now we realize that when we go to Cleveland, the refs will be against us. This was a taste of what is to come. However, knowing what's coming should make you better prepared to prevent it.

You are right but man how can we play defense at a high level if they blow the whistle all the time!!!

Bronnt is totally right. It's disrespectful not only to the fans, but to the game of baketball itself. Just another example of why he is the worst professional coach in modern history, Maybe of any sport. Hmm, I think there is a future thread there.

If you just said "no, he's not the worst", ask yourself if you want a coach who can even be in the argument for worst coach of any sport in modern history. And believe me, he's in the argument.

Bronnt is totally right. It's disrespectful not only to the fans, but to the game of baketball itself. Just another example of why he is the worst professional coach in modern history, Maybe of any sport. Hmm, I think there is a future thread there.

If you just said "no, he's not the worst", ask yourself if you want a coach who can even be in the argument for worst coach of any sport in modern history. And believe me, he's in the argument.

Woodson was in the locker room. Larry Drew was calling the shots from the bench.

Hate to call out Larry Drew on one of the few occasions he's in charge, but you have coach every game like it's the 7th game of the finals, or else your team isn't going to respond in those situations.

I disagree. One would have said the same last year if they saw any of our regular season games against Boston. Going in, everybody thought we would be happy to be there and get swept. Well, I think now we develop the thick skin. Now we realize that when we go to Cleveland, the refs will be against us. This was a taste of what is to come. However, knowing what's coming should make you better prepared to prevent it.

The Hawks are the same piece of crap road team that they were last year. How many road playoff games did they win in Boston last year? Nada? None

This team is SOFT and weak.

Did you even watch the game. Woody called the refs out and was ejected.

• Premium Member
You are right but man how can we play defense at a high level if they blow the whistle all the time!!!

We can't. We have to play the "Lebron" defense and just give him his and be efficient on offense.

I noted that in the second half, we played more of the "Lebron" defense. We didn't try to foul him anymore. IN fact, one time, Horf just stepped out of his way on the drive. Cleveland was killing us on the +1s in the first half... and the sad part is that Lebron expects to get everything his way. He cried like a baby when he was called for a foul. He is such a wimp.

Well, it didn't quite happen that way. It started with pesky defense, they created a couple of turnovers and then Flip got to the foul line. Flip was the only actual offensively talented player on the floor, and he did all the scoring. He got a couple in the lane, four more at the line, and the last 6 points came via a couple open threes.

If he thought he was just hot and feeling it at that point, he rectified that by missing two more threes on the last offensive possession (though I think on that last shot he was trying to draw a foul).

Yeah - I watched the game and you are right - but there were a bunch of missed threes in between. If Bibby had made that wide open three from the top of the key (down 13) with about 3 and a half left we would have been singing his praises - but if we had played tougher all along we would have been closer - too many Jacks.