• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Prospects

Flight

In the meantime, here are the five names most commonly associated with the 19th pick:

Jeff Teague, point guard, Wake Forest

• Measurables: 6-foot-2, 180 pounds

• 2008-09 stats: 18.8 points, 3.5 assists, 3.3 rebounds

• NBA comparison: Monta Ellis

• Why he makes sense for the Hawks: A scoring point guard is the kind of point guard who works best in Mike Woodson’s offense. Teague has big-game experience after two years in the ACC but is also young enough (20) that he has loads of potential. While he’s more of a scorer than a facilitator right now, the right tutelage early in his career could help mold his overall game.

• Why he doesn’t: The Hawks went the young point guard route two years ago with Acie Law IV, who had better credentials coming out of college than Teague.

Terrence Williams, small forward, Louisville

• Measurables: 6-6, 215

• 2008-09 stats: 12.5 points, 8.6 rebounds, 5.0 assists

• NBA comparison: Corey Maggette

• Why he makes sense for the Hawks: If the point guards the Hawks prefer are gone by the time they pick, they would be foolish to pass up the best available talent. And Williams is easily one of the most talented all-around players in this draft. He’s more of a point forward than anything else. In addition, he has an athletic build and is a fantastic rebounder and passer with the ability to initiate the offense.

• Why he doesn’t: The Hawks need shooters in the worst way, and that’s the one part of the game Williams hasn’t mastered.

Eric Maynor, point guard, Virginia Commonwealth

• Measurables: 6-3, 175

• 2008-09 stats: 22.4 points, 6.2 assists, 3.6 rebounds

• NBA comparison: Sam Cassell

• Why he makes sense for the Hawks: Maynor is everything the Hawks need in a potential starting point guard. He has the experience, the long-range shooting ability and the defensive presence to make an immediate impact. Whatever Maynor lacks in explosive athleticism, he makes up for with savvy and crunch-time courage. Maynor improved steadily throughout his college career and finished as one of the most prolific scorers in the nation.

• Why he doesn’t: Maynor isn’t a distinguished defender and struggles finishing in traffic, two things the Hawks will need out of their next point guard.

Ty Lawson, point guard, North Carolina

• Measurables: 5-11, 195

• 2008-09 stats: 16.6 points, 6.6 assists, 3.0 rebounds

• NBA comparison: Raymond Felton

• Why he makes sense for the Hawks: Lawson is a classic point guard and arguably the fastest player, from one end of the floor to the other, in this draft class. He’s got the strength, ball-handling skills, toughness and court vision every team wants in a point guard. And his shooting stroke from beyond the 3-point line has improved dramatically in the past two years. He’s a menace in transition and a pest in the passing lanes for opposing teams.

• Why he doesn’t: There’s a reason a player with Lawson’s credentials — he was the ACC Player of the Year —would still be around when the Hawks pick. His lack of size is a major concern for most teams.

B.J. Mullens, center, Ohio State

• Measurables: 7-0, 275

• 2008-09 stats: 8.8 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.1 blocks

• NBA comparison: Chris Kaman

• Why he makes sense for the Hawks: Mullens is the only legitimate 7-footer with the chance to be a big-time starter in this draft other than Hasheem Thabeet, an expected top-three pick. Plenty of teams will be mesmerized by Mullens’ combination of size, athleticism, hands and natural instincts. He has all the tools and potential any team could want in a center prospect.

• Why he doesn’t: The Hawks don’t need help two or three years from now. They need big man help immediately, and Mullens proved in his one season in college that he wasn’t ready for prime time.

• Premium Member
I like Teague the best, he can score and finish strong inside. He is very athletic and can be one of the best defensive guards in the Nba one day...

I have to agree. IF he our holliday is there at 19, we take teague or holliday in that order.

Otherwise, I don't really care what we do. I would almost rather see the pick used in trade.

Jeff Teague, point guard, Wake Forest

• Measurables: 6-foot-2, 180 pounds

• 2008-09 stats: 18.8 points, 3.5 assists, 3.3 rebounds

• NBA comparison: Monta Ellis

• Why he makes sense for the Hawks: A scoring point guard is the kind of point guard who works best in Mike Woodson’s offense. Teague has big-game experience after two years in the ACC but is also young enough (20) that he has loads of potential. While he’s more of a scorer than a facilitator right now, the right tutelage early in his career could help mold his overall game.

Pray tell who is going to do this??????

Draft Report: Eric Maynor Of VCU

By: Christopher Reina

RealGM.com Writer

Eric Maynor is a four-year, small school point guard that some feel could sneak into the lottery. I think any team in the teens that uses their pick on Maynor would be reaching, particularly due to the abundance of more promising point guards in this year's class.

Maynor was obviously overqualified for VCU and would have fit in at just about any heavyweight program. Being several clicks better than his teammate, Maynor almost always had the ball in his hands, creating his own scoring opportunities, as well as for teammates. He tends to overdribble, something he won’t be allowed to do in the NBA. Even though he can also play the off guard, he is not active enough when he doesn’t have the ball, falling into the trap of being a bystander.

A four-year point guard playing against the level of competition Maynor saw in the Colonial Athletic Association should get more easy shots for his teammates than he does. His decision-making as a passer is not as refined as it really needs to be. He can stand to improve the delivery and placement of his passes. Maynor isn’t especially creative in this facet of his game and many of his assists at VCU strictly were a result of how much the defense collapsed on him because they respected his offense.

Maynor isn’t a particularly strong or athletic player, but he has a strong core, good balance and stays upright well with his dribble, which fosters a good court awareness and vision.

He doesn’t aggressively use screens, allowing himself to be taken away from the bucket and appears reluctant in his attempts to turn the corner on bigs.

Maynor has an above average handle, but is more steak than sizzle. Occasionally he lets the handle get a little too far ahead of him, which makes him vulnerable to being picked.

The thing Maynor is most skilled at, however, is getting just inside the free throw line for pull-up jumpers and runners when he is able to lose his man. He has a beautiful floater when he is able to create that separation, but he will undoubtedly struggle to beat the NBA’s better on-ball defenders and even ordinary shotblockers will lick their lips if he drifts too far to the bucket. When he attempts to elevate in traffic instead of shooting that nice runner, his attempts are increasingly difficult and decreasingly effective. He even struggles scoring near the rim against players his own size.

He tends to need a fairly big radius to beat his man off the dribble and isn’t as effective when he only has a small sliver of space. Maynor works better off the dribble in early offense, when he can use a little crossover to setup the 10-foot floater, something no player in the draft can do as well as he can.

As a perimeter shooter, Maynor has a good shot (36.1% from beyond the arc, 81.5% from the line), but it is more streaky than pure. He seems to lack some muscle when shooting from NBA distance, but he isn’t afraid of the distance and can be an accurate shooter when he gets open looks. Since VCU scouting reports began and ended with Maynor, open looks will come with much greater frequency in the NBA.

When guarded well, Maynor becomes an extremely ordinary scorer and his pure point guard skills cannot overcome his ordinary physical gifts.

On the defensive end, Maynor will struggle against bigger and stronger point guards on a physical level. He has enough lateral quickness to stay in front of most point guards, so he won’t be a liability on the perimeter.

His effort defensively is inconsistent, especially when in help situations. But he is an intelligent player and certainly won’t be a diva, so he will naturally improve this area of his game when given a completely different role than what he was asked to do at VCU. That role will likely top out as a 15-20 minute per night back-up point guard.

Edited by DrReality

Draft Report: Eric Maynor Of VCU

By: Christopher Reina

RealGM.com Writer

Eric Maynor is a four-year, small school point guard that some feel could sneak into the lottery. I think any team in the teens that uses their pick on Maynor would be reaching, particularly due to the abundance of more promising point guards in this year's class.

Maynor was obviously overqualified for VCU and would have fit in at just about any heavyweight program. Being several clicks better than his teammate, Maynor almost always had the ball in his hands, creating his own scoring opportunities, as well as for teammates. He tends to overdribble, something he won’t be allowed to do in the NBA. Even though he can also play the off guard, he is not active enough when he doesn’t have the ball, falling into the trap of being a bystander.

A four-year point guard playing against the level of competition Maynor saw in the Colonial Athletic Association should get more easy shots for his teammates than he does. His decision-making as a passer is not as refined as it really needs to be. He can stand to improve the delivery and placement of his passes. Maynor isn’t especially creative in this facet of his game and many of his assists at VCU strictly were a result of how much the defense collapsed on him because they respected his offense.

Maynor isn’t a particularly strong or athletic player, but he has a strong core, good balance and stays upright well with his dribble, which fosters a good court awareness and vision.

He doesn’t aggressively use screens, allowing himself to be taken away from the bucket and appears reluctant in his attempts to turn the corner on bigs.

Maynor has an above average handle, but is more steak than sizzle. Occasionally he lets the handle get a little too far ahead of him, which makes him vulnerable to being picked.

The thing Maynor is most skilled at, however, is getting just inside the free throw line for pull-up jumpers and runners when he is able to lose his man. He has a beautiful floater when he is able to create that separation, but he will undoubtedly struggle to beat the NBA’s better on-ball defenders and even ordinary shotblockers will lick their lips if he drifts too far to the bucket. When he attempts to elevate in traffic instead of shooting that nice runner, his attempts are increasingly difficult and decreasingly effective. He even struggles scoring near the rim against players his own size.

He tends to need a fairly big radius to beat his man off the dribble and isn’t as effective when he only has a small sliver of space. Maynor works better off the dribble in early offense, when he can use a little crossover to setup the 10-foot floater, something no player in the draft can do as well as he can.

As a perimeter shooter, Maynor has a good shot (36.1% from beyond the arc, 81.5% from the line), but it is more streaky than pure. He seems to lack some muscle when shooting from NBA distance, but he isn’t afraid of the distance and can be an accurate shooter when he gets open looks. Since VCU scouting reports began and ended with Maynor, open looks will come with much greater frequency in the NBA.

When guarded well, Maynor becomes an extremely ordinary scorer and his pure point guard skills cannot overcome his ordinary physical gifts.

On the defensive end, Maynor will struggle against bigger and stronger point guards on a physical level. He has enough lateral quickness to stay in front of most point guards, so he won’t be a liability on the perimeter.

His effort defensively is inconsistent, especially when in help situations. But he is an intelligent player and certainly won’t be a diva, so he will naturally improve this area of his game when given a completely different role than what he was asked to do at VCU. That role will likely top out as a 15-20 minute per night back-up point guard.

this says that he isn't better than Acie and he would be just as lost in Woodsons offense,if not more. Just like it said he needs the ball in his hands, Woodson doesn't allow that,so he'd be the same bystander in the corner that Acie is right now.

Lawson rated number 8 pg. Amazing. Hipe he keeps falling.

Point Guards Comments

1. Ricky Rubio 6-3 180 PG DKV Joventut 1990 Has a special feel for the game, but far from a sure thing. Will he pull out?

2. Brandon Jennings 6-1 170 PG Virtus Roma 1989 Quickness and ATH are elite. Hard to put much stock in Euro performance.

3. Stephen Curry 6-1 180 PG/SG Davidson Jr. At worst a valuable specialty 3 point shooter. Underrated quickness.

4. Jonny Flynn 6-0 186 PG Syracuse So. Fast riser. Smart and a leader. Is he a true PG who can become an NBA starter?

5. Eric Maynor 6-3 180 PG VCU Sr. A true PG with the total package. The top Sr. in the draft.

6. Jeff Teague 6-2 175 PG Wake Forest So. Big upside, but also not ready. Very flashy and smart. Should develop over time.

7. Patrick Mills 5-11 180 PG St. Mary's So. Diminutive but extremely quick. A true competitor who rises to the challenge.

8. Ty Lawson 6-0 195 PG North Carolina Jr. Has blinding speed and solid passing/shooting ability. UNC title boosts stock.

9. Jrue Holiday 6-3 205 PG/SG UCLA Fr. High character guy, makes game easy. Can he he become a full time PG?

10. Curtis Jerrells 6-1 195 PG Baylor Sr. NBA suited game. May ultimately pass a number of PGs listed in front of him

Point Guards Comments

1. Ricky Rubio 6-3 180 PG DKV Joventut 1990 Has a special feel for the game, but far from a sure thing. Will he pull out?

2. Brandon Jennings 6-1 170 PG Virtus Roma 1989 Quickness and ATH are elite. Hard to put much stock in Euro performance.

3. Stephen Curry 6-1 180 PG/SG Davidson Jr. At worst a valuable specialty 3 point shooter. Underrated quickness.

4. Jonny Flynn 6-0 186 PG Syracuse So. Fast riser. Smart and a leader. Is he a true PG who can become an NBA starter?

5. Eric Maynor 6-3 180 PG VCU Sr. A true PG with the total package. The top Sr. in the draft.

6. Jeff Teague 6-2 175 PG Wake Forest So. Big upside, but also not ready. Very flashy and smart. Should develop over time.

7. Patrick Mills 5-11 180 PG St. Mary's So. Diminutive but extremely quick. A true competitor who rises to the challenge.

8. Ty Lawson 6-0 195 PG North Carolina Jr. Has blinding speed and solid passing/shooting ability. UNC title boosts stock.

9. Jrue Holiday 6-3 205 PG/SG UCLA Fr. High character guy, makes game easy. Can he he become a full time PG?

10. Curtis Jerrells 6-1 195 PG Baylor Sr. NBA suited game. May ultimately pass a number of PGs listed in front of him

Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact that Woody is the coach, I'd love to get Lawson. Hell, I'd still like to risk drafting him with the hope that Woodson won't be here after next year.

Edited by thefloydian

this says that he isn't better than Acie and he would be just as lost in Woodsons offense,if not more. Just like it said he needs the ball in his hands, Woodson doesn't allow that,so he'd be the same bystander in the corner that Acie is right now.

Did you see him play against Holiday and Collison when VCU played UCLA in the NCAA Tourney ?

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=294000023

Maynor got the best of both of them. He looked like the real deal vs. a solid UCLA backcourt that has 2 1st round picks in it and another 1st rounder, (Shipp), on the floor with them. VCU was out classed, Maynor was made to force some shots due to the mismatch in team talent. He showed alot in that game. He got in the paint and to the line at will keeping both Collison and Holiday on foul trouble.

Maynor was the best player on the court that day. I am not saying I'd rank ahead of Lawson but he definately jumped ahead of Collison.

I have not seen Holiday play enough PG to know how to rank him. Collison alwayse captained that UCLA team and controlled the ball. B/c of that I leave Holiday off my PG ranknings. I'm no good at scouting underclassman, who are forcasted to play PG in the NBA, when they did not even play PG in college. I have not seen any of Jennings and only saw Rubio in the gold medal game so I can't rank who I have not seen. Too me T. Evan is a SG so I leave him off as well.

1. Lawson - Tim Hardaway / TJ Ford mix

2. Flynn - combo of Baron Davis and Nate Robinson

3. Curry - Mike Bibby / and of course Del Curry

4. Maynor - Sam Cassel like mid range game and savy

5. Teague - Jason Terry / Barbosa (not really a PG but perfect 6th man)

6. Darren Collison - Chris Duhon with a little bit of Mookie Blaylock's defense

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

I watched that game from start to finish. Maynor did little against Collison, but abused Holliday, an inexperienced guard.

I think he'll be a solid pro, but the parallels to Acie are definitely there...

• Premium Member
I watched that game from start to finish. Maynor did little against Collison, but abused Holliday, an inexperienced guard.

I think he'll be a solid pro, but the parallels to Acie are definitely there...

I like Maynor, but I can't help but think that either Flynn or Lawson would be the better pick, even if we have to trade up to get one of them. I'm favoring Flynn right now due to his incredible explosiveness and "swagger". The team could use a little of that. Plus he appears to have a great motor, so assertiveness won't be an issue. There were times when the team REALLY needed someone to step up and be a lightning rod for this team and it just wasn't there. The team is filled with wonderful role players who needed a little more leadership during the postseason.

What do you guys know about this man? He's a shooter.

Omri Casspi

Small Forward. Maccabi Tel Aviv

Casspi is a very good shooter who excels at moving without the ball. His footwork offensively is impeccable and has above average athleticism for a foreign-born player.

Point Guards Comments

BIGGEST BUST SINCE DARKO AT #2

SCARRY ALSO BUT HE IS THE ONE GUY HERE IVE NEVER SEEN PLAY VS LEGIT COMP SO I WONT COMMENT

AFTER BLAKE GRIFFIN HE IS THE GUY I WOULD PICK #2. IVE SEEN SOME PEOPLE COMPARE HIM TO MIKE BIBBY ( taken #2 overall by the way ) IN A NEGATIVE SENSE BUT HOW QUICK PEOPLE FORGET THAT IN HIS PRIME BIBBY WAS ONE " MYSTERIOUSLY REFED GAME " FROM LEADING, NO CARRYING HIS TEAM TO AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP. HE WILL CONTIBUTE AND POSSIBLY START FROM DAY ONE. WE WOULD HAVE TO GET TO PICK #7 TO GET HIM.

EXPLOSIVE AND CONFIDENT, IF HE IS THERE AT 19 HOW CAN WE SAY NO. HE WONT BE THOUGH AND THERE ARE OPTIONS AT 19 THAT ARE AS GOOD SO I WOULDNT TRADE UP.

SMOOTH AND A LEGIT SCORER. NOT AFRAID TO TAKE BIG SHOTS. I WOULDNT CRY IF WE GET HIM AT 19 BUT WILL HE BE SMOOTH IN THE NBA OR JUST SLOW.

SPUD WEBB CHANGE OF PACE GUARD WITH SOME SIZE AND D D D COULD BE A RUNAWAY TRAIN THAT WOODY WOULD PULL OFF THE TRACK.

CAROLINA POINT GUARDS SCARE ME AND THIS GUY HAD AN NBA'S WORTH OF TALENT AROUND HIM. ITHINK HE IS DIFFERANT THOUGH. HE IS TOUGHER AND MAYBE JUST MAYBE CAROLINA ACTUALLY WAS HOLDING HIM BACK. AGAIN IF WE GET HIM AT 19 ITS COOL WITH ME

SINCE WE ARE A MID LEVEL PLAYOFF TEAM WE NEED GUYS TO STEP IN AND HELP RIGHT AWAY SO TO HIM I SAY NO, HELL NO.

10. Curtis Jerrells 6-1 195 PG Baylor Sr. NBA suited game. May ultimately pass a number of PGs listed in front of him.

HOPEFULLY WHEN THIS GUY GETS PICKED LATE 1ST EARLY 2ND CHAD FORD DOESNT LET US KNOW HOW WE MISSED ON ANOTHER PG THE NEXT 3 YEARS.

Edited by NJHAWK

• 2 weeks later...

Australian Patrick Mills was absolutely the star of the evening’s all-star game, posting an impressive 30 point performance on 8/18 shooting from the field and 12/13 from the line. Mills handled the ball on a string all game long, showing terrific quickness keeping his man off balance, and making an absolute living in the mid-range area with his deadly pull-up jumper. His ability to utilize strong hesitation moves makes him extremely difficult to stay in front of, and he did a good job not settling for tough shots from beyond the arc today, getting to the line repeatedly. He clearly thrives in up-tempo settings such as the one seen in today’s all-star game, which came in stark contrast to his morning performance, where he seemed to over-dribble somewhat while trying to create in the half-court.

What do you guys know about this man? He's a shooter.

Omri Casspi

Small Forward. Maccabi Tel Aviv

Casspi is a very good shooter who excels at moving without the ball. His footwork offensively is impeccable and has above average athleticism for a foreign-born player.

Draft Express has a write up on him. What really worries me about him is that he has a low and slow release, ala Childress; hence, he won't be able to create his own shot. I say pass.

I would love any pf the pg's but I wouldn't be mad at all if we got our hands on Terrence Williams...that kid can flat out ball...good size, good NBA body..only thing missing is an outside shot.

His body reminds me of Isiah Rider..hopefully with a better head on his shoulders...

Edited by Spud2Nique