• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rajon Rondo

Flight

There were late-night cookie fights where dessert would be flung like Frisbees at someone's head. They hung out at a gas station in tiny Mouth of Wilson, Va., because there really wasn't anything better to do, and snacks were needed for the growing boys. They played with fire extinguishers in their high school dormitory.

more stories like thisCeltics guard Rajon Rondo and Hawks forward Josh Smith are established NBA players now. But during their biweekly telephone conversations, the former Oak Hill Academy roommates often reflect on a simpler, mischievous time when their biggest concerns were getting good grades and winning games for the nation's top prep basketball program.

Last night, the two squared off as the Celtics hosted the Hawks at TD Banknorth Garden.

"That's my homey," Rondo said. "Those were the good ol' days. There were no responsibilities. We were still kids trying to make it to the NBA."

"It was a good experience for both of us," said Smith in a recent telephone interview. "We made the best out of it. I couldn't have had a better roommate."

Because of previous AAU success, Rondo knew who Smith was and vice versa when they arrived at Oak Hill for their senior years from Louisville, Ky., and Atlanta, respectively, in 2003.

It was the first time either had lived away from home. The two marquee players immediately clicked, and switched roommates about a month into the school year so they could stay in the same room.

And when it was just the two of them hanging out, they often talked about the NBA.

"We talked about it all the time," Rondo said. "He said, 'I'm jumping.' And I said, 'I'll see you there in a couple of years.' It turned out that we're both here."

Smith turned down a scholarship to Indiana University, making himself available for the 2004 NBA draft. The Hawks selected him with the 17th pick, and he is now one of their top players.

Rondo entered the draft two years later after two seasons at the University of Kentucky. One of the Hawks' needs prior to last season was a point guard. Smith tried to sell general manager Billy Knight on Rondo, but Atlanta selected Duke big man Shelden Williams with its first-round pick, fifth overall.

Rondo was taken by Phoenix with the 21st selection, and the Celtics acquired his draft rights, forward Brian Grant, and cash considerations for a future first-round pick.

"I was disappointed," Smith said. "I'm not going to lie. I felt like we could have used him. But you know, that's how the game goes. The organization made the decision.

"We've got Acie Law now. Acie Law is doing pretty good. But you know, at that point in time, I thought [Rondo would] be a good fit for the team."

Said Rondo: "He was trying to get me there. I wouldn't say he was doing more than my agent, but he was acting like he was my agent."

Rondo said he went to Atlanta to hang out and work out with Smith last summer. And Thursday night, Rondo planned on taking Smith out to dinner, and reminisce and talk some trash.

"He's one of my close friends," Smith said. "If I tell him anything [personal], it won't get out. We talk about everything. He's like one of my brothers. He would fight for me just like I would fight for him.

"I told him we were going to give them [trouble] when we get out there. He said, 'Nah, I doubt it. We're pretty good this year.' "

-http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2007/11/10/rondo_atlantas_smith_reunite_as_rivals/

I know this is old but it just makes me think that maybe we should try to get Rondo now.

• Premium Member

Would a Joe Johnson/Mo Evans for Ray Allen/Rondo trade make sense?

This is probably the only way that the Celtics trade Rondo. They get Joe. We get an aging Allen and Rondo. Rondo, Smith, and Horf could be the future..but before we get there, let's examine:

Rondo is a great defensive PG. A big PG who has shown the ability to get assists. Rondo has been categorized as stubborn. He's a "perfectionist" in a sense.

Allen has one more year and he's done. He's old. He can still shoot. He scored 50 on the Magic this playoffs.

Joe basically gives Boston their last major shot at winning it all.

Now here's the deal. This year, we have Bibby on the line and we have several PGs who we can draft. The question is how much better is Rondo than what we can get?

The biggest pro is that we're forced to give up Iso Joe.

The other plus is that with Smoove signed, maybe signing Rondo will go a lot more smoothly.

The minus is that once Allen is gone, we have no true goto guy... and that's assuming that allen can be that now?

So let's play the assumption game.

Let's assume, we trade Joe/Mo straight up for Rondo, Ray.

1. Who do we draft?
  2. Who do we pick up in FAcy?
  3. What's the move that will make us a championship team?

You have a delicate way with words.

haha balls under woody....anways lol...... Rondo would be taken 100% of his game if he came to atlanta and it's already not a guruntee that he'd be as good without multiple All-Stars/future Hall of famers (except Pierce) playing with him. He's not a great shooter so all his points come in the paint and he can't get there without having the ball first. he'd be a SG here and he would royally suck.

This is probably the only way that the Celtics trade Rondo. They get Joe. We get an aging Allen and Rondo. Rondo, Smith, and Horf could be the future..but before we get there, let's examine:

Rondo is a great defensive PG. A big PG who has shown the ability to get assists. Rondo has been categorized as stubborn. He's a "perfectionist" in a sense.

Allen has one more year and he's done. He's old. He can still shoot. He scored 50 on the Magic this playoffs.

Joe basically gives Boston their last major shot at winning it all.

Now here's the deal. This year, we have Bibby on the line and we have several PGs who we can draft. The question is how much better is Rondo than what we can get?

The biggest pro is that we're forced to give up Iso Joe.

The other plus is that with Smoove signed, maybe signing Rondo will go a lot more smoothly.

The minus is that once Allen is gone, we have no true goto guy... and that's assuming that allen can be that now?

So let's play the assumption game.

Let's assume, we trade Joe/Mo straight up for Rondo, Ray.

1. Who do we draft?
  2. Who do we pick up in FAcy?
  3. What's the move that will make us a championship team?

i'd take rondo over bibby or anyone straight out of the draft anyday. i'd especially take him over mo evans 10 out of 10 times. ray for one year couldn't be too terribly much worse than joe for one year. we'd start (attempt to) run iso ray plays, but idk if ray can create as well as joe--doubt it at his age.

i don't think the c's do this unless they sincerely believe that they could resign jj in 2010, otherwise, what's the point in trading for him? one expiring for another, plus a downgrade of evans from rondo? who would be their full time point? after all the ish from the previous year's playoffs and since, could you imagine paul pierce and jj on the same team? think pp would still think of jj as a non-worthy all star or give choking gestures on their practice court?

i'd do this deal if sund doesn't think there is any chance of resigning joe next summer. we'd be set with our starting 5 this season and would have the luxury of actually drafting the best player available as back up to the starters, and possibly pick up any free agent for the bench. either through the draft or facy you get whomever you expect to back up or replace any of the starters you don't expect to be able to keep around (either mw this year or ray ray next).

i don't see the c's going for this one though.

honestly, i would think with rondo, ray, mw, smoove, horf starting, the hawks would have a hard time matching last year's success. what i would like out of this trade is the upgrade at point plus (assuming the current economics and teams prolly not going out on a limb this off season) we could prolly resign mw to a reasonable contract. given how (relatively) inexpensive mw, smoove, and horf's contracts (and possibly rondo's too--not sure what his contract is like), we could be players to pick up a nice sg or c in 2010.

• Premium Member
i'd take rondo over bibby or anyone straight out of the draft anyday. i'd especially take him over mo evans 10 out of 10 times. ray for one year couldn't be too terribly much worse than joe for one year. we'd start (attempt to) run iso ray plays, but idk if ray can create as well as joe--doubt it at his age.

i don't think the c's do this unless they sincerely believe that they could resign jj in 2010, otherwise, what's the point in trading for him? one expiring for another, plus a downgrade of evans from rondo? who would be their full time point? after all the ish from the previous year's playoffs and since, could you imagine paul pierce and jj on the same team? think pp would still think of jj as a non-worthy all star or give choking gestures on their practice court?

i'd do this deal if sund doesn't think there is any chance of resigning joe next summer. we'd be set with our starting 5 this season and would have the luxury of actually drafting the best player available as back up to the starters, and possibly pick up any free agent for the bench. either through the draft or facy you get whomever you expect to back up or replace any of the starters you don't expect to be able to keep around (either mw this year or ray ray next).

i don't see the c's going for this one though.

honestly, i would think with rondo, ray, mw, smoove, horf starting, the hawks would have a hard time matching last year's success. what i would like out of this trade is the upgrade at point plus (assuming the current economics and teams prolly not going out on a limb this off season) we could prolly resign mw to a reasonable contract. given how (relatively) inexpensive mw, smoove, and horf's contracts (and possibly rondo's too--not sure what his contract is like), we could be players to pick up a nice sg or c in 2010.

Bird I agree with you. The Cs would have to have assurance that Joe is with them for longer than this season. The truth of the matter is that if Joe signs an extension with us this summer, we're not trading him. Sund has to put that extension out there to know if we need to think about trading Joe?

• Premium Member

One more thing, the real comparison is:

Rondo/Ray...

vs. Joe/Teague or Joe/Bibby or Joe/Lawson or Joe/Acie or Joe/Maynor

No! I think that it would probably take us out of serious playoff contention and put us toward the #7-10 seed area in the East for the 2-3 years. With that deal being done, Horford & Smoove would begin to grow disgruntled and management would be pressured to make another poor decision. The only good thing is that we would probably go back to being bad enough that management would have to let go of Woody - LOL!!!

Seriously, Rondo would be great in a Hawks uni next year and he (being in his rookie deal) would be cheap enough for us to keep Bibby and re-sign Flip. That would give us a strong, versatile, championship-caliber PG rotation, unless Bibby would be dead set on a starting job. WHY would you need to trade Joe or Josh? Just think about the way Rondo and the havoc that he creates with his speed, penetration, and pin point passing. Joe's PPG, FG%, and 3PT% would all go back up AND HE COULD PLAY A COUPLE LESS MINUTES with some one like Rondo able to create plays in the clutch.

THE DEAL THAT THINK WE SHOULD PUSH AT BOSTON WOULD BE:

Rondo to ATL for the #19 pick!!!

* BOS doesn't have a 1st round pick this year

RR averaged 16.9, 9.8, 9.7, and 2.5 in 14 playoff games, absurb. BK was just a dumbass, he chose Shell for rebounding and Rondo as it turns out, is better on the boards. Should of just traded down with N.O. for the 12th and 15th picks and gotten another useful player with the latter pick.

I think Boston is trying to bring Rondo's value down to it's lowest point so they don't get too much over the luxury tax for 2010.

You guys are going a bit insane with this. Rondo for the 19th pick? Really? So after preparing Rondo for 3 years to get to where he is, they would give up and pick a new project, just as their window is closing? And this while they could easily buy a first round pick from NOLA, for example?

Similarly, Rondo/Ray for JJ/Mo makes absolutely no sense for either team.

Rondo is perfect for the celtics: a defense first PG who doesnt take many shots. And ray is a great deal for the celtics too: an expiring contract who will probably resign for much less than what JJ would require, given age. And if JJ wouldn't resign with Atlanta, why would he resign with Boston, where he would be the #3 option and would certainly not get anywhere close to a max deal?

As for Atlanta, can you imagine floor spacing with a line up where Ray is the only threat from long range? Rondo's shooting is not as much of a liability with the celtics because other than Perkins, every other player in the rotation is reliable from beyond 18 feet.

RR averaged 16.9, 9.8, 9.7, and 2.5 in 14 playoff games, absurb. BK was just a dumbass, he chose Shell for rebounding and Rondo as it turns out, is better on the boards. Should of just traded down with N.O. for the 12th and 15th picks and gotten another useful player with the latter pick.

I think Boston is trying to bring Rondo's value down to it's lowest point so they don't get too much over the luxury tax for 2010.

I doubt NO would have made that trade. Also Rondo didnt go til 21 because there were a boatload of ?'s on him. BK did try to get back into the 1st round to get him though. That said I dont see Rondo putting up near the numbers here he does in Boston.

I doubt NO would have made that trade. Also Rondo didnt go til 21 because there were a boatload of ?'s on him. BK did try to get back into the 1st round to get him though. That said I dont see Rondo putting up near the numbers here he does in Boston.

Wasn't Rondo picked with the pick that the Hawks sent to the Suns as part of the JJ trade?

Wasn't Rondo picked with the pick that the Hawks sent to the Suns as part of the JJ trade?

Actually in a round about way I think he was because we were owed a pick from Boston (that they got from the Lakers) which we sent to the Suns (21st in 2006) as the first of 2 picks for JJ ... although BK did try and get that pick back for the Hawks to take Rondo. The other player that the Suns got from the Hawks picks was Robin Lopez with the 15th pick in 2008.

Actually in a round about way I think he was because we were owed a pick from Boston (that they got from the Lakers) which we sent to the Suns (21st in 2006) as the first of 2 picks for JJ ... although BK did try and get that pick back for the Hawks to take Rondo. The other player that the Suns got from the Hawks picks was Robin Lopez with the 15th pick in 2008.

Too bad for the Suns that they traded away that pick then (I think they traded it for cash). To come away with Rondo and Lopez with those non-lottery picks is not bad drafting.

Puts the JJ trade to bed finally. With Rondo's development, not as lopsided as it once was.