• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin makes the top 10 Free Agents list

coachx

• Premium Member
Sorry but that list is bogus Marvin ahead of studs like Felton, Sessions, Andre Miller and Sheed? no way those guys will all sign way before MArvin.

There's that argument again.

When players sign is no indication of their value. It's an indication of their availability.

Sorry but that list is bogus Marvin ahead of studs like Felton, Sessions, Andre Miller and Sheed? no way those guys will all sign way before MArvin.

WTF??? :question:

PPL on here need to stop hating on Marvin. This kid was our most improved player last year (2nd was King ZAZA)

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite

You do realize the difference in how easy it is to sign a unrestricted free agents as opposed to a restricted free agent ?

Sheed, Session, Miller are all unrestricted free agents.............so of course they will sign quicker. The article is about who you should not worry about paying a little extra for. Marvin is a more complete player, at his position, then any of the players you named at their respective positions. Compared to Sessions (can't shoot), Felton (can't shoot), Miller (can't shoot), Wallace (old and can't rebound).............Marvin is a complete player compared to those guys without a true weakness for a SF. Plus he is only 23.

Edited by coachx

You do realize the difference in how easy it is to sign a unrestricted free agents as opposed to a restricted free agent ?

Sheed, Session, Miller are all unrestricted free agents.............so of course they will sign quicker. The article is about who you should not worry about paying a little extra for. Marvin is a more complete player, at his position, then any of the players you named at their respective positions. Compared to Sessions (can't shoot), Felton (can't shoot), Miller (can't shoot), Wallace (old and can't rebound).............Marvin is a complete player compared to those guys without a true weakness for a SF. Plus he is only 23.

Yeah, but.. yeah, but.... spongebob...

• Moderators
There's that argument again.

When players sign is no indication of their value. It's an indication of their availability.

Using $$ for the contract as the measure of value (which I think is a much better measure), I still don't understand that list. For example, Trevor Ariza > Ben Gordon?

Using $$ for the contract as the measure of value (which I think is a much better measure), I still don't understand that list. For example, Trevor Ariza > Ben Gordon?

I think its all in the eye of the beholder. I think the writer is saying it is OK to pay a little over market value for the guys in his top 10 for a variety of reasons.

(I disagree with some on his list like Boozer due to injuries and Ariza b/c I don't like big contracts after one playoff run)

He is saying do not over pay for Marion, Wallace, Bibby, or AI b/c their best days are behind them. Do not over pay for Ben Gordon b/c he is not a starter. He is a solid 6th man. Just assuming what he may have been thinking when he put together his list.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/john...ents/index.html

Marvin named ahead of Marion, Okur, Wallace,Kidd, Miller, Sessions, Iverson, Bibby, etc.

For those who think Marvin Williams has little value or a bad rep around the league (Diesel)..... Notice who he was named ahead of.

Maybe because you can get Marvin for cheap. He is a 4-5 mil a year talent, with an 8 foot ceiling. Marvin sucks and if there is a team out there who hasn't figured it out we need to trade with them.

Hawk88

Maybe because you can get Marvin for cheap. He is a 4-5 mil a year talent, with an 8 foot ceiling. Marvin sucks and if there is a team out there who hasn't figured it out we need to trade with them.

Hawk88

Wow if a team signed him to that they would be getting tremendous value for their buck. Considering that was his current deal under the rookie scale and he out performed that salary you would think he'd be worth closer to double that amount. But then again you are entitled to your opinion.

Wow if a team signed him to that they would be getting tremendous value for their buck. Considering that was his current deal under the rookie scale and he out performed that salary you would think he'd be worth closer to double that amount. But then again you are entitled to your opinion.

I just think we have passed on a lot better players because we HAVE Marvin, like Thaddeus Young. Marvin would be okay as a sub. As a starter he is a weak spot. My opinion of couse but I do watch the games and don't just go by the numbers. He really isn't as good as his numbers would suggest.

Hawk88

I just think we have passed on a lot better players because we HAVE Marvin, like Thaddeus Young. Marvin would be okay as a sub. As a starter he is a weak spot. My opinion of couse but I do watch the games and don't just go by the numbers. He really isn't as good as his numbers would suggest.

Hawk88

Yea I watch the games also and I see how he is under utilized, looking at his numbers only add to how good he is. To average the equivalent of a "quiet" 14 and 6 efficiently while opperating as a 4-5th option only suggest that the numbers tell only part of his ability.

• Premium Member

This was written by a rookie.

The only reason Marvin makes the top 10 is he expects Marvin to be cheap. Same goes for Trevor Ariza.

I mean, this is what he says:

With the trades that went down last week, we saw the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. Teams without a realistic shot at a title are choosing to save as much money as they can, while a select few potential contenders are taking financial risks in the hopes of acquiring the player(s) who will put them over the top.

With the economy slowing ticket and advertising sales, teams are tightening their purse strings. If teams spend at all, they're at least trying to spend smarter. Gone are the days when Jerome James gets the full mid-level exception.

Obviously this article has very little to do with actually ability. More about a prediction based on price. I guarantee if we had more financially stable owners, Marvin's name wouldn't be in the top 10. He believes that somebody can float Marvin a cheap contract.

• Premium Member
I think its all in the eye of the beholder. I think the writer is saying it is OK to pay a little over market value for the guys in his top 10 for a variety of reasons.

(I disagree with some on his list like Boozer due to injuries and Ariza b/c I don't like big contracts after one playoff run)

He is saying do not over pay for Marion, Wallace, Bibby, or AI b/c their best days are behind them. Do not over pay for Ben Gordon b/c he is not a starter. He is a solid 6th man. Just assuming what he may have been thinking when he put together his list.

The problem with his thinking is that because of their experience and skill level guys like Marion, Waalce, Bibby, or AI will be targetted and lowballed. The lowball is no indication of the team's want of these guys, it just means that they won't pay more. Sorta like Day old bread. Day old bread is not the same quality as fresh bread, but because of the reduction of price, you will take it over fresh bread because how much fresher can the fresh bread be?

Bottom Line: If Both Marvin and JKidd would cost us 7 Million over 3 years, I'm leaning towards Kidd. That's an older PG who can manage my offense and train my draft pick. In the process, he's still hungry enough to win.

How exactly is Marvin a weak spot? Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Marvin gets ran down but I never hear how exactly is he hurting the team. Please explain how having MArvin on this team is hurting us.

He is the best defender on our team and if not the second best.

He scores within the flow of the game.

He improved his 3pt shot.

He is the only player on the team that seems to have enough sense to get to the line.

He is a good free throw shooter.

He rebounds good for the position.

He is improving every year.

He is simply playing the told he is given by the coach.

How many times has Marvin done something stupid on the court where you said wtf!!

How aggressive can a 4th option be??

Like I stated in another post every starter on our team has some issues but don't pretend like Marvin has the most issues. If he went to teh media complaining that he isn't getting enough shots then you guys would claim that he is a cancer in the locker room. I have been a basketball fan long enough to know a good player when I see one.

How exactly is Marvin a weak spot? Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Marvin gets ran down but I never hear how exactly is he hurting the team. Please explain how having MArvin on this team is hurting us.

He is the only player on the team that seems to have enough sense to get to the line.

How many times has Marvin done something stupid on the court where you said wtf!!

Like I stated in another post every starter on our team has some issues but don't pretend like Marvin has the most issues. If he went to teh media complaining that he isn't getting enough shots then you guys would claim that he is a cancer in the locker room. I have been a basketball fan long enough to know a good player when I see one.

I believe it's based on Marvin's potential plus most of the other players are alot older.Now do you believe Marvin is fool's gold or the real deal is the question.From what I have seen he won't play up to his future contract that some team will overpay. Marvin should be a go to player in the clutch or else he is a role player. Role players are interchangeable and until Marvin acquires a killer instinct I wouldn't count on him.

Edited by thescout5

He's not a weak spot. You're dead on. People tend to base the type of player by where he's picked. Since he was picked third, he's supposed to be the second coming of MJ. It's unfair and unreal expectations.