• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

TAKE A BOW BILLY KNIGHT

NJHAWK

Well damn this thread flew under my head. BKs disgust for normal sized pgs set us back for unforetold years. If he had his way early on, we would've had a maxed out Kenyan Martin and/or overpaid Dampier. Terry signed a very reasonable 3 year deal similar to Bibbys and can't even remember the thrash we got back.

We had the chance to fleece Portland for picks and Paul. This is easily what the roster should've been.

Paul/Terry 2005

Joe/Roy 2006

Thad Young or Al Thorton(pacer's pick) 2007

Josh 2004

???/Zaza

1-4 easily gets us to conference finals.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well damn this thread flew under my head. BKs disgust for normal sized pgs set us back for unforetold years. If he had his way early on, we would've had a maxed out Kenyan Martin and/or overpaid Dampier. Terry signed a very reasonable 3 year deal similar to Bibbys and can't even remember the thrash we got back.

We had the chance to fleece Portland for picks and Paul. This is easily what the roster should've been.

Paul/Terry 2005

Joe/Roy 2006

Thad Young or Al Thorton(pacer's pick) 2007

Josh 2004

???/Zaza

1-4 easily gets us to conference finals.

i love this lineup ..lol

Guest Walter
Answer me this Knight haters, if its so friggin easy to build a winning team if you have a bunch of lottry picks WHY ARE THE SAME TEAMS IN THE LOTTERY YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR? Again: Knight not only built this team from the ground up he sold swamp land in Florida in exchange for the solid ground to build it on.

Only Portland arguably has had more and higher draft picks in the same span (Their rebuild started later). BK gutted this team. THAT was a good decision. We got 2, 5, 6, and 2 picks, not 10, 7, and 13 picks like alot of perrenial lottery teams. However, you can't argue with facts, most, highest draft picks in 4 years AND worst possible selections 3 consecutive HIGH lottery picks. That's HORRIBLE!

W

I'll say it again. Billy K. was a darn good GM that lacked the communication skills to deal with the whiny ATL media. The man did a helluva job sewing this thing together.

And big props to Mark B. for keeping it real!

WHAT? Not that marvin is just horrible but everytime i look at him i want to puke because i think about us passing over deron williams AND chris paul! Thats just the one that always sticks out in my mind but there was bad decision after bad decision! BK SUCKED!

Smith might have a chance. Al and Marvin don't.

Al has a great chance of being an all star, I say he makes 2 or 3 in his career

He got us an All Star reserve for $70 million, Boris Diaw, and 2 first round picks. What a magician.

The post I responded to stated that there's not one legit argument that BK did anything good. Are you saying bringing JJ over here was bad for the Hawks?

I love how we credit Knight for "getting rid" of our "slop"... Like it's difficult to give away players to other teams for virtually nothing. We traded a 21 ppg scorer for an expiring contract, JT who has been far better than any pg we have had since the trade, for Antoine Walker, who we later traded for scraps, and we traded Shareef who was then averaging 19 - 9 for Rasheed who we later traded for freaking Bob Sura and a pick.

Out of his "amazing" moves the only thing we got out of it that turned into anything good was a 17th first round pick, and a ton of cap-space that we used to sign such stars as... Al harrington, Speedy Claxton, and Lorenzen Wright.

From his seven years as GM, there are basically only three moves BK made that were good: snagging Josh Smith and Horf, and the Joe Johnson trade. People who mention the Bibby trade are insane. We traded Shelden, our FIFTH PICK in the draft for a 30 yo PG... That trade should never have happened because we should have drafted Brandon Roy. The Shelden pick stands as one of the all time worst picks in basketball... Not only was Shelden not projected to be a lottery pick by most experts, but Brandon Roy was the consensus BPA at the time. Those who argue that Brandon Roy played the same position as Joe, ignore that Shelden played the same position as our second best player, Smoove. Not to mention that just the year before BK passed on two studs at a position in need to draft a player that played a position we had already spent a first round pick the year before in. All in all, I don't see how you grade BKs tenure in Atlanta anything above a D+.

That pick turned out to be Josh Smith. Anybody who can sit there and complain that REEF and RATLIFF were good players worth a dam didnt pay attention to what happened to them after they left here. You also forgot Knights biggest swamp sale of slop in BIG HOG ROBINSON. As for Jason Terry, he was nothing but a turnover machine in crunch time and even when he was in the playoffs with Dallas he still was up to his old tricks. Remember he didnt want to be here anymore, so good riddence to him. There is a reason he was put on the bench in Dallas.

Edited by NJHAWK

Dam I almost forgot Nazr too. REEF, RATLIFF, NAZR, BIG HOG.. The fact that some of you describe them as anything more than overpaid worthless slop who fell flat on their nba face after they left here amazes me. I cant believe Knight found takers for these bums without taking back huge bad contracts or giving up picks, but he did.

• Premium Member
That pick turned out to be Josh Smith. Anybody who can sit there and complain that REEF and RATLIFF were good players worth a dam didnt pay attention to what happened to them after they left here. You also forgot Knights biggest swamp sale of slop in BIG HOG ROBINSON. As for Jason Terry, he was nothing but a turnover machine in crunch time and even when he was in the playoffs with Dallas he still was up to his old tricks. Remember he didnt want to be here anymore, so good riddence to him. There is a reason he was put on the bench in Dallas.

That pick turned out to be Josh out of sheer luck... We could have easily ended up with a total scrub. Historically how many great players were drafted 17th or worst?... If it is above 5% of players picked I would be shocked.

JT was Dallas' second best player when they made the finals. How many times have we made the finals? Conversely, name one PG we have had who is better than Jason Terry? The only one you can even come close to compare is Bibby... And it took us five years to get him. And we traded our number 5 pick from the 2006 draft for him. Jason Terry was also the 6th man of the year, so calling him out for being a bench player is laughable. He has one more finals appearance and one more award than our entire team combined. We gave him away, and got nothing back. He has been one of the three best player in a team that has been much more competitive than us every year since the trade.

Reef was averaging 19 and 9 when we traded him. We got Rasheed who was a legitimate star and traded him for Bob Sura (Bob. Sura.) and a 17th pick. Just because by the good grace of god Josh Smith had not been picked by the 17 teams that had picks ahead of us, doesn't make that a good trade, man. The 17th pick has such little value for a player like Rasheed that it's not even funny. I wouldn't trade Marvin Williams or Jamal Crawford for a 17th pick... but we traded Rasheed freaking Wallace. We handed Detroit one of their best players in a CHAMPIONSHIP season, and we got back the 17th pick. You know how that trade is known in Detroit. The great Billy Knight raping of 2004.

That pick turned out to be Josh out of sheer luck... We could have easily ended up with a total scrub. Historically how many great players were drafted 17th or worst?... If it is above 5% of players picked I would be shocked.

JT was Dallas' second best player when they made the finals. How many times have we made the finals? Conversely, name one PG we have had who is better than Jason Terry? The only one you can even come close to compare is Bibby... And it took us five years to get him. And we traded our number 5 pick from the 2006 draft for him. Jason Terry was also the 6th man of the year, so calling him out for being a bench player is laughable. He has one more finals appearance and one more award than our entire team combined. We gave him away, and got nothing back. He has been one of the three best player in a team that has been much more competitive than us every year since the trade.

Reef was averaging 19 and 9 when we traded him. We got Rasheed who was a legitimate star and traded him for Bob Sura (Bob. Sura.) and a 17th pick. Just because by the good grace of god Josh Smith had not been picked by the 17 teams that had picks ahead of us, doesn't make that a good trade, man. The 17th pick has such little value for a player like Rasheed that it's not even funny. I wouldn't trade Marvin Williams or Jamal Crawford for a 17th pick... but we traded Rasheed freaking Wallace. We handed Detroit one of their best players in a CHAMPIONSHIP season, and we got back the 17th pick. You know how that trade is known in Detroit. The great Billy Knight raping of 2004.

Jason Terry isnt even a pg, why do you think Devon Harris started ove rtheir 2nd best player, lol. Why do you think the Mavs gave a young Harris up to get Kidd? Because they needed a real veteran nba starting pg, not a bench combo guard. Sheed would have walked away for nothing, there is no way he would have resigned here so Knight took the best deal of ending contracts and a 1st round pick. The Hawks didnt want to add long term salary because they were rebuilding. Again just look at what those overpaid losers like RAT, REEF, NAZR AND HOG DID HERE WITH ALL THAT PAYROLL, WIN ABOUT 30 GAMES A YEAR. Then when they left here they were nothing but bad contracts for other teams. BK pulled the wool over the eyes of Portland, Philly and Mil to take those bums.

Nailed perfectly. It's amazing. The pro Billy Knight people have such little argument. Yet, they try and try.

One of those first round picks became Rajon Rondo. Still a solid deal.

Well after Pho traded it. It was all set to become Renaldo Balkman till the Knicks snagged him.

When i said three years, I am talking about each player in their given system. Chris paul is in a system specifically made for him to put up his numbers. I am saying I believe our team as constructed with Marvin, will be a better team than Chris Paul's.

• Moderators
No GM has ever picked the worst (at best) of any three remotely considered picks in 3 consecutive years EXCEPT Billy Knight.

That's not true. Others have done that as well. Doesn't make it a good thing, but Knight isn't unique. For example, here are consecutive top first round picks for the Clippers in the 80s:

LAC Lancaster Gordon over Kevin Willis and Otis Thorpe

LAC Benoit Benjamin over X-man, Detlef Schremph, Charles Oakley and Chris Mullin

LAC Reggie Williams over Scottie Pippen, Kenny Smith, Kevin Johnson

LAC Danny Manning over Mitch Richmond and Rik Smits

LAC Danny Ferry over Sean Eliot and Glen Rice

LAC Bo Kimble over Tyrone Hill and Willie Burton (yes, Burton was substantially better)

That's not true. Others have done that as well. Doesn't make it a good thing, but Knight isn't unique. For example, here are consecutive top first round picks for the Clippers in the 80s:

LAC Lancaster Gordon over Kevin Willis and Otis Thorpe

LAC Benoit Benjamin over X-man, Detlef Schremph, Charles Oakley and Chris Mullin

LAC Reggie Williams over Scottie Pippen, Kenny Smith, Kevin Johnson

LAC Danny Manning over Mitch Richmond and Rik Smits

LAC Danny Ferry over Sean Eliot and Glen Rice

LAC Bo Kimble over Tyrone Hill and Willie Burton (yes, Burton was substantially better)

I don't think saying BK is better then Elgin Baylor is really a feather in his cap. Baylor may get the nod for worst GM of all time. BK was bad, just not that bad.

I don't think saying BK is better then Elgin Baylor is really a feather in his cap. Baylor may get the nod for worst GM of all time. BK was bad, just not that bad.

You're missing his point. Your post said "NO GM". He just debunked your statement.