• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

5/90 million for JJ no way in hell.

Wurider05

I hear alot of talk about JJ's extension being for 80 or 90 million for 5 years. There is no way in hell that he is worth that contract. No way in hell that he is worth 16-18 per. What he is making right now is exactly what he needs to be making. The league is full of pieces and a very handful of guys you build around. JJ is a piece. He has only had about 2 or 3 playoff good games since he has been here and is averaging what 15 ppg in the playoffs. He wants superstar money but he doesn't produce like a superstar. We need to pay him like he plays.

• Premium Member

JJ is worth whatever someone willing to pay him. After saying all that I'm offering him 5/50.

If we don't keep JJ then what do we have? He's the 3rd best overall shooting guard in the east, he's definately our best threat on the offensive end by far. So with that said I say give him 60/65 for 5 years.

• Premium Member

Whatever Joe is doesn't mean much if he continues to come up small when it counts.

Whatever Joe is doesn't mean much if he continues to come up small when it counts.

Did he come up small in the playoffs against boston? Uh.......NO!!! He was wore out in the playoffs last year! Woody rode him until the wheels literally came off, I think that this year becuz we have a lil more depth that he'll be ok come playoff time!

he is not worth 90 mill, i would give him 5yr 70 mill, he would take that

That sounds pretty darn good to me!

If we don't resign him now, we will lose him the same way Phoenix lost him to us...and you know how that has turned out for the Suns. People talk about the class of 2010 being great, but most of those players will resign with their original teams. The players that will mostly benefit will be secondary stars like JJ. Teams who missed out on the "Big" free agents will overpay JJ just to make it up to their fanbase.

Some of you guys are really fooling yourselves, if you believe that JJ is going to be signed at or below what he is currently making. Didn't we overpay to bring JJ to Atlanta? So why don't you think that someone else won't overpay for him to go somewhere else?

The entire offensive system is built around JJ's skills. You lose JJ, and Jamal Crawford becomes the Hawks new "go-to guy", because he's the only other player on the team that can get a shot anytime he wants.

We lose JJ and the only way to even begin what he gave us, is to trade someone for him. We're damn sure aren't going to have any cap room in 2010.

JJ is the 2nd best 2-guard in the East . . and top 5 overall. League wide, he's a top 25 player. And those guys make top dollar in this league.

There is no one on the Hawks that currently has the potential to be better than JJ. And retaining him probably insures that the Hawks will be a playoff level team for a long time.

Unless he gets hurt and misses significant time, a 5/80 deal is the minimum that he's going to be offered. The guy is just too versatile to receive less. He's not a one or two-dimensional player, like most guys in this league.

If the Hawks don't give it to him, you better believe another team will. We need a guard of his caliber here in Atl. (an all-star that draws the double team night after night) and they are not easy to come by. Realistically who could we get in here to replace Joe at his current salary if another team gives him the 80 - 90 mil that will put up the same numbers as Joe or better? Or if you want to spend that kind of money on an all-star other than Joe, what other big name do you think we can get to come to Atlanta? Not many i would say.

Edited by chico1

5yrs/65-70 mil but I don't know if I would go higher than that.

What's the difference between giving him 70 vs 80 if you're up against the cap either way?

The Hawks are over or pretty close to the cap if they lose Joe Johnson and they won't have anyone to replace him with.

I have started a tizzy on HS before by calling Joe Johnson an overrated jump shooter, yet even I recognize the fact that he cannot be replaced.

If Joe Johnson walks after this season the Hawks will be in the worst possible place in the NBA - a lower level playoff team. There's no going up or down from there my friends.

You're stuck until you blow it up and start over again.