• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Showing No Love for Childress

MrNique

I too think that was his best option. You don't want to be a RFA next offseason. He will not be able to force the Hawks hand... even if we get into a war for Joe.

Had he done the QO, he would be UFA and it didn't matter what the Hawks did.

That is a good ideal but you have to think about this too. All those top name FAs that are coming out next year and their is talk about the Salary Cap might even go lower then it did this year.

how do the FA pole look for 2011? That could be the telling story if Chill made the right decision. If was was him I would want to be in the top 10 FAs wanted. Next year he would not come close to making the top 10 FA wanted, right?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMAO @ Some of you! :lol6:

I see some of you saying Chill REJECTED the deal last year. He AGREED to the deal but the Hawks pulled it back off the table and told him he had to wait on Smoove to sign first. At that point he did not feel safe dealing with Sund. I can understand too. All of you can act like the guy is spoiled and thinking about himself..... WELL YOU WOULD BE THINKING ABOUT YOURSELF TOO. :nono:

If you said that you would have continued to feel safe that a deal was going to get done at those dollar figures after a person did that to you, you are not being real.

Another thing that sound VERY HYPOCRITICAL of some of you. How is it RIGHT for the Hawks to not take less for Chill in a trade but Chill is WRONG for not taking what he thinks is less???

I know for a fact that Chills would have come back to play for the Hawks too. They just did not put an offer on the table.

Basically this translates to "I have talked to Childress on twitter so he has to be a stand-up guy." Nothing happened to him that hasn't happened to a million other basketball players during their restricted free agency. He went to Greece so he can deal with the consequences.

Basically this translates to "I have talked to Childress on twitter so he has to be a stand-up guy." Nothing happened to him that hasn't happened to a million other basketball players during their restricted free agency. He went to Greece so he can deal with the consequences.

someone is fishing :smile:

Oh and if making the money he is making over their is "dealing with consequences"....................

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite

Oh and if making the money he is making over their is "dealing with consequences"....................

I don't think anyone would argue with the point that he'd rather be playing over here than in Greece next year so yeah, he's dealing with the consequences to a certain degree.

I don't think anyone would argue with the point that he'd rather be playing over here than in Greece next year so yeah, he's dealing with the consequences to a certain degree.

That was last year too but he still signed a deal to play in Greece. I don't think he dislike/hurting in any way do to the fact that he has to play in Greece because he would have sign the QO.

He probably should have just signed the QO though and became an UFA. I hadn't thought about that scenario.

He probably saw it (and rightfully so) as a situation where he'd be buried on the bench in terms of minutes played - 20 a game maybe? - and his value would be low heading into UFA next season.

• Premium Member

That is a good ideal but you have to think about this too. All those top name FAs that are coming out next year and their is talk about the Salary Cap might even go lower then it did this year.

how do the FA pole look for 2011? That could be the telling story if Chill made the right decision. If was was him I would want to be in the top 10 FAs wanted. Next year he would not come close to making the top 10 FA wanted, right?

See the thing is that 2010 is not exactly a feeding frenzy. Big name free agents are out there and will be moved. The other thing is that there are some other free agents who will be out there and won't be asked back to anybody's team. That means that there will be some teams with empty rosters. Had Chillz done the QO, he would have guaranteed himself a spot on somebody's team in 2010. Now, he will come back to the same handcuffs that we have on him. He's going to have to wait for us to make our move. Chillz should have come over with the mindset that I will look for a deal early, and if I don't get it, I will accept a QO and play out my year so that I can basically pick the situation that I want to be in. Right now, he has no choice.

I didn't say the consequences were all that bad, but apparently he wants to play over here so it's not all exactly how he'd like it to be. If he didn't, he would have been a lot quieter this offseason.

I think he did the right thing. Remember his agent makes his money on decisions like this. I'm almost 100% sure that Chill will sign his QO next year. This will help him get to another team if the Hawks do not want him. They will trade him or get nothing for him.

The reason I believe they will trade him is because of the FA pool next year. If they do not trade him he will become a FA in 2011. He would come out better being a FA 2011 when the salary cap might go up instead of down.

There was no way Chill wanted to become a FA in the 2010 pool. Where the FA Pool is going to be large and the Money could very well be 5mil lesser per team then this year.

link

2010 cap may limit signings

In a memo announcing next season's salary cap and luxury-tax threshold, sent out shortly before the league's annual July moratorium on signings and trades was lifted at 12:01 a.m. ET Wednesday, NBA teams also received tentative projections from the league warning that the cap is estimated to drop to somewhere between $50.4 million and $53.6 million for the 2010-11 season.

link

Some 2010 Free agents

Point Guards:

Steve Nash

Rafer Alston

Chris Duhon

T.J. Ford

J.J. Barea

Shooting Guards

Dwayne Wade

Joe Johnson

Michael Redd

Ray Allen

Manu Ginobili

Peja Stojakovic

Kyle Korver

John Salmons

Roger Mason

Raja Bell

Small Forwards:

LeBron James

Paul Pierce

Tracy McGrady (

Josh Howard

Richard Jefferson

Mike Miller

Travis Outlaw

Power Forwards

Chris Bosh

Amar'e Stoudemire

Dirk Nowitzki

Carlos Boozer

Udonis Haslem

Al Harrington

Centers

Yao Ming

Memo Okur (

Marcus Camby

Tyson Chandler

Jermaine O'Neal

Shaq O'Neal

Brad Miller

Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite

screw Childress...i've always liked him but he is only thinking of himself......so the Hawks were supposed to take a trade for Raja Bell?!...just so Childress could have his wish?....it's called the Atlanta Hawks not the Atlanta Childress, their jobs are to improve this team not put Childress in his desired position....that's a shitty trade and Childress should know it.........................get over it, the amount they offered you last year was reasonable you just went to the big money....enjoy europe this year AND NEXT YEAR and we'll see you in the NBA in a few years when you are absolutely sick of playing with the also-ran's of the basketball world....

screw Childress...i've always liked him but he is only thinking of himself......so the Hawks were supposed to take a trade for Raja Bell?!...just so Childress could have his wish?....it's called the Atlanta Hawks not the Atlanta Childress, their jobs are to improve this team not put Childress in his desired position....that's a shitty trade and Childress should know it.........................get over it, the amount they offered you last year was reasonable you just went to the big money....enjoy europe this year AND NEXT YEAR and we'll see you in the NBA in a few years when you are absolutely sick of playing with the also-ran's of the basketball world....

I see someone who has not been reading :huh:

This nappy afro having guy here...

Josh Childress: Atlanta Hawks’ ‘hardball’ negotiations led to his return to Greece

Charles Odum

July 18th, 2009

Childress headed for 2nd year in Greece

ATLANTA — Josh Childress said Friday the Atlanta Hawks’ “hardball” negotiations forced him to return for a second season in Greece with Olympiakos.

Childress signed a three-year, $20 million deal with Olympiakos last year after scoring in double figures in each of his four seasons with the Hawks.

The Hawks retained rights to Childress, who as a restricted free agent could negotiate with other NBA teams. Meanwhile, Childress also faced a Wednesday deadline to commit to his return to Greece.

Childress and his agent, Jim Tanner, said in a telephone interview on Friday that they visited Milwaukee and had interest from other teams. They said those teams couldn’t reach an agreement with the Hawks.

“I knew I didn’t have a ton of time and honestly didn’t want a ton of time,” Childress said, referring to this week’s deadline with Olympiakos. “If (the Hawks) wanted to get something done it would get done early.”

The Hawks will again retain the NBA rights to Childress after next season. Childress said “it’s not out of the question at all” for him to return to Atlanta.

“I just think there needs to be some kind of agreement where both parties meet in the middle,” he said. “This idea of hardball is kind of old. I’m not the type of guy that’s gonna bad mouth and do all the other things. I’ve kind of been the kind of guy who wants to move forward and get something done.”

Hawks coach Mike Woodson said on Monday he would welcome the return of Childress.

“I’d accept him with open arms, without a doubt,” Woodson said.

Childress said he was open to a return to Atlanta.

“The Hawks were definitely in my scope,” he said. “I spent four years there. I’m familiar with the team and the organization. I’m familiar with the city. I still have a home there. I think it just came down to whether or not I felt like negotiations would move forward with them. I really didn’t, just being quite honest.”

Tanner said his hope was to find Childress a home with another NBA team.

“I would say with a couple of teams in particular we went pretty far down the road, in both cases talking about sign-and-trade transactions,” Tanner said.

“We did have a visit to Milwaukee. We had extensive conversations with other teams.”

Tanner wouldn’t reveal details of any sign-and-trade offer to the Hawks.

Childress averaged 13.3 points and 3.6 rebounds for Olympiakos.

Childress, from Stanford, was the No. 6 overall pick by Atlanta in the 2004 NBA draft. He started in a career-high 44 games as a rookie and averaged 10.1 points.

He averaged a career-high 13.0 points in the 2006-07 season. He played in 76 games, all in a reserve role, while averaging 11.8 points in the 2007-08 season.

Edited by sultanofatl

This nappy afro having guy here...

Josh Childress: Atlanta Hawks’ ‘hardball’ negotiations led to his return to Greece

Charles Odum

July 18th, 2009

Childress headed for 2nd year in Greece

ATLANTA — Josh Childress said Friday the Atlanta Hawks’ “hardball” negotiations forced him to return for a second season in Greece with Olympiakos.

Childress signed a three-year, $20 million deal with Olympiakos last year after scoring in double figures in each of his four seasons with the Hawks.

The Hawks retained rights to Childress, who as a restricted free agent could negotiate with other NBA teams. Meanwhile, Childress also faced a Wednesday deadline to commit to his return to Greece.

Childress and his agent, Jim Tanner, said in a telephone interview on Friday that they visited Milwaukee and had interest from other teams. They said those teams couldn’t reach an agreement with the Hawks.

“I knew I didn’t have a ton of time and honestly didn’t want a ton of time,” Childress said, referring to this week’s deadline with Olympiakos. “If (the Hawks) wanted to get something done it would get done early.”

The Hawks will again retain the NBA rights to Childress after next season. Childress said “it’s not out of the question at all” for him to return to Atlanta.

“I just think there needs to be some kind of agreement where both parties meet in the middle,” he said. “This idea of hardball is kind of old. I’m not the type of guy that’s gonna bad mouth and do all the other things. I’ve kind of been the kind of guy who wants to move forward and get something done.”

Hawks coach Mike Woodson said on Monday he would welcome the return of Childress.

“I’d accept him with open arms, without a doubt,” Woodson said.

Childress said he was open to a return to Atlanta.

“The Hawks were definitely in my scope,” he said. “I spent four years there. I’m familiar with the team and the organization. I’m familiar with the city. I still have a home there. I think it just came down to whether or not I felt like negotiations would move forward with them. I really didn’t, just being quite honest.”

Tanner said his hope was to find Childress a home with another NBA team.

“I would say with a couple of teams in particular we went pretty far down the road, in both cases talking about sign-and-trade transactions,” Tanner said.

“We did have a visit to Milwaukee. We had extensive conversations with other teams.”

Tanner wouldn’t reveal details of any sign-and-trade offer to the Hawks.

Childress averaged 13.3 points and 3.6 rebounds for Olympiakos.

Childress, from Stanford, was the No. 6 overall pick by Atlanta in the 2004 NBA draft. He started in a career-high 44 games as a rookie and averaged 10.1 points.

He averaged a career-high 13.0 points in the 2006-07 season. He played in 76 games, all in a reserve role, while averaging 11.8 points in the 2007-08 season.

I don't see anything wrong with Childress' statements - he didn't really say anything bad about the Hawks to be honest.

I don't see anything wrong with Childress' statements - he didn't really say anything bad about the Hawks to be honest.

Yeah, I'm confused how that is running his mouth. He said he wouldn't mind coming back but they didn't really get anywhere with negotiations and he's tired of hardball. What's the big deal?

I'm sick of him discussing the team like the team is holding him up. I'm sick of him discussing the issue and not doing the professional thing like Sund has done. Just be quiet. Go make your money overseas and shut up.

• Moderators

Just sign and trade the man. Its obvious he doens't want to come back to Atlanta.

It isn't the Hawks hardballing so much as other teams trying to get him for crappy players who are way past their prime like Bruce Bowen or Raja Bell. If some other team actually wanted him, they could throw in a pick and the S&T would be done. If Childress was sick of the hardballing, he could just sign the QO and write his own ticket the following season.

Not much to report on this. The only thing that annoys me about Childress' comments is that you get the impression from him that the Hawks are not being reasonable.

In a league where Chris Wilcox signs for $3M/season, getting Bruce Bowen for free is not worth it...let alone having to give up the rights to the former #6 pick in the draft. We can spend our cap room on better players than the ones being offered by Milwaukee and Charlotte in a S&T deal.

The situation is compounded by the fact Atlanta needs big men, and who in their right mind trades a good big for Josh Childress?

Chillz has got to stop hating on the Hawks. If he continues to bad mouth them his situation will go from bad to worse.