• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks are expecting a vet big man vistor [Joe Smith] tomorrow

pimp

linas kleiza anyone? i remember him playing like zaza with good/good enough defense.

I wouldn't mind Kleiza one bit but I'm not sure where he'd get minutes unless we're not keeping Marvin or we're dumping Mo. For the record I'd MUCH rather keep Marvin.

Give me Joe Smith, Marvin Williams, and 1 more big and I'll consider this the best off-season in Hawks history (at least since I can remember) as I think that's a team ready to play for the title.

I don't think you are looking at the entire scope of things. Yes I'll admit that we need another banger and someone that can play defense who is primarily a center but we are in DESPERATE need of a backup PF. Zaza can handle the backup minutes at the 5 and he can bang on the inside and rebound and Joe Smith (if we sign him) can rebound as well as anyone available on the FA market and he's a great jump shooter for a big. You also cannot underestimate the impact that his veteran leadership can have on this club.

You do not have to have a vet player for Al. Al needs better coaching. Joe Smith is a finesse player. We only have a few power or presents players. Atlanta needs toughness.(period). I would rather see a rookie out banging day in and day out. That is what make teams fear you. Solo has a little toughness in him. Woodson holds them back. Joe Smith as been in the NBA for sometime now, he very seldom displays NASTINESS. We need NASTINESS. The good big men are back in the East. What are we gonna do about it?

• Premium Member

Thumbs up on Smith... not my first choice, but certainly a quality choice nonetheless.

As I've already stated, I would be very surprised to see us land anyone notable beyond whoever we might be able to sign as the 4th low-post guy. However, I continue to be intrigued by Josh McRoberts if we could somehow pry him from Indy. But Siler or just keeping Solo appears far more likely.

Joe Smith is an alright option. I would rather have a true center though. I would rank Swift and Petro ahead of Smith, but I wouldn't be disappointed in getting Smith.

Actually on second thought, having Joe Smith would mean that on the back of his jersey would be his whole name "Joe Smith" because we already have "Josh Smith" and you cannot abbreviate Joe without having conflict with the name Josh. Josh would probably also have his whole name on the back of his jersey, that might be the first time in NBA history that two player's first and last names were on the back of their jersey. That alone makes me say let's go after Joe hard.

I don't think the NBA even bothers using initials anymore. Between your number and unlike football and baseball you can see a players entire face they stopped doing that. I say this with Detroit in mind as they had bot the Wallaces and niether had an initial on the back of their jersey.

Joe Smith is an alright option. I would rather have a true center though. I would rank Swift and Petro ahead of Smith, but I wouldn't be disappointed in getting Smith.

I don't understand this thought process. Why would you guys rather have a 3rd center than a 2nd PF? And you can't say "because Horford's not a center" since the Hawks see him as a center and he's been our starting center almost 2 full years now. Zaza certainly can't play PF and we need someone that can come in and spell Josh Smith without having to take Marvin out early just so we can bring him back in to replace Josh at the 4. The way that I see it (and perhaps the Hawks do as well) we are desperate for a true backup PF and Joe Smith would solve that problem.

I wouldn't mind Kleiza one bit but I'm not sure where he'd get minutes unless we're not keeping Marvin or we're dumping Mo. For the record I'd MUCH rather keep Marvin.

Give me Joe Smith, Marvin Williams, and 1 more big and I'll consider this the best off-season in Hawks history (at least since I can remember) as I think that's a team ready to play for the title.

my intention was, him playing power forward, or either forward spot. i didn't know he was only 6'8 before checking his stat. he really seems bigger than a 6'8. i really want this type of player, a team first all effort player.

I don't understand this thought process. Why would you guys rather have a 3rd center than a 2nd PF? And you can't say "because Horford's not a center" since the Hawks see him as a center and he's been our starting center almost 2 full years now. Zaza certainly can't play PF and we need someone that can come in and spell Josh Smith without having to take Marvin out early just so we can bring him back in to replace Josh at the 4. The way that I see it (and perhaps the Hawks do as well) we are desperate for a true backup PF and Joe Smith would solve that problem.

We may definetly need another PF, according to Sekou's twitter the Pacers are looking at Solo.

Whats wrong with having Horford replace Josh Smith? Thats why I would rather have a center. When Josh goes out, put Horford at the 4 and Z or the other center at the 5.

Because I want to be able to bring in 2 fresh bodies, not recycle them from 1 position to another like we have done the past 2 seasons. I think that has contributed greatly to the fatigue of some of our players and possibly some injuries. Plus what if Al gets in early foul trouble, then you have to bring in Zaza and do you just leave Josh in there? I want to be able to have a quality backup at every position and if/when we sign Joe Smith we'll have that. At that point I'm happy to sign another big and I'd prefer a center then.

Hawks are expecting a vet big man vistor tomorrow, that will upstage the minicamp gathering.

Details to come shortly.

Sekou

It's Joe Smith - http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2009/07/21/hawks-courting-joe-smith/

Joe Smith would be nice..I would rather Ben Wallace but if he goes to the Pistons then I would happy with Joe Smith. I wouldnt be mad if we got Gooden, Skinner, or Mikki Moore either. but Big Ben would definitely be my first choice...we can use his size and strength down low on defense

If Joe Smith insists on a significant portion of the MLE, than I would rather just stand pat and sign one of the bigs in mini camp. Just try to lure one of the solid big men in next years crop. We don't have a real shot this year, maybe take a road game from one of the big three.

Much deeper next year

Brad Miller

Ilgauskas

Steven Hunter(make or break year health wise)

Kwame Brown

Camby

D.J. Mbenga

Jermaine O'neil

Amir Johnson

Etan Thomas

Tyson Chandler

Brendan Haywood

If Joe Smith insists on a significant portion of the MLE, than I would rather just stand pat and sign one of the bigs in mini camp. Just try to lure one of the solid big men in next years crop. We don't have a real shot this year, maybe take a road game from one of the big three.

Much deeper next year

Brad Miller

Ilgauskas

Steven Hunter(make or break year health wise)

Kwame Brown

Camby

D.J. Mbenga

Jermaine O'neil

Amir Johnson

Etan Thomas

Tyson Chandler

Brendan Haywood

It was deep this year. What makes you think Sund is gonna be more aggressive in targeting bigs next year?

linas kleiza anyone? i remember him playing like zaza with good/good enough defense.

I like Powe, Big Baby, Boozer, and Kris Humphries (Dallas). I know Humphries is signed, but I think we don't need to overpay for what we don't necessarily need.

We need a low post presence. We don't need a shooter, or someone who can play 20 minutes. Give me 15 minutes of balls out play every game and we're good.

I don't know much about Othello, or that dude we got from the Knicks w/ splinters in his azz, but I do like Solo. We can work w/ Solo, a banger, and and/or a small lineup.