• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pops Mensah-Bonsu

GameTime

What we need is 1 thread for every scrub big man that you want us to sign.

Pops is not a scrub big man. Pops is what we need in a big man right now.

That is beside the point anyways when a Siler thread has 100 posts.

Edited by GameTime

• Premium Member

What we need is 1 thread for every scrub big man that you want us to sign.

:tongue:

Actually, I'm with GameTime on this one... seems to my non-GM mind to be a legitimate possibility... though, not at the expense of NOT signing Joe Smith.

Always liked Pops energy and versatility. He allowed Duncan to play PF more in his brief time with the Spurs so he fits the role of a guy who can flex between the positions. As of now I'd rank Smith ahead of him because of his vet leadership and offense but if he falls through then Diogu/Pops would be my second and third choice

Always liked Pops energy and versatility. He allowed Duncan to play PF more in his brief time with the Spurs so he fits the role of a guy who can flex between the positions. As of now I'd rank Smith ahead of him because of his vet leadership and offense but if he falls through then Diogu/Pops would be my second and third choice

I have nothing against Pops, particularly when compared to guys who have done nothing like Siler, but how did he allow Duncan to play more PF? Dude is 6' 7.5" w/o shoes (6''9" with shoes).

Also, interesting to note that he was in the same draft as Solo. When looking at the numbers, I didn't remember what a leaper Solo was/is. Solo had a 39" vertical at the combine. That is incredible for a 6'9"+ guy. Lack of strength was (perhaps still is) his issue at Center though (only 6 reps of 185 on the bench at the combine).

I have nothing against Pops, particularly when compared to guys who have done nothing like Siler, but how did he allow Duncan to play more PF? Dude is 6' 7.5" w/o shoes (6''9" with shoes).

Also, interesting to note that he was in the same draft as Solo. When looking at the numbers, I didn't remember what a leaper Solo was/is. Solo had a 39" vertical at the combine. That is incredible for a 6'9"+ guy. Lack of strength was (perhaps still is) his issue at Center though (only 6 reps of 185 on the bench at the combine).

Well perhaps I misspoke but he would guard Centers so Duncan wouldn't have to, he did the same for Bosh in Toronto. And yes Solo was a physical specimen given his height. length. and athleticism he just couldn't put it together with coordination.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

Well perhaps I misspoke but he would guard Centers so Duncan wouldn't have to, he did the same for Bosh in Toronto. And yes Solo was a physical specimen given his height. length. and athleticism he just couldn't put it together with coordination.

Bring Bonsu in! He would make a solid bench player for Smith, Horford. Very athletic, good defense, player that can still improve his game. Can get him cheap! I like him above Joe Smith.

I like him above Joe Smith.

I don't get it. You guys act like he can block a shot a game and dunk in 2 offensive rebounds if you give him 15 minutes. He averages 0.1 bpg in reality and barely shoots over 40%.

1. He has been in the league 3 years, for 3 teams, and never played more then 22 games in a season.

2. He is a career .417 pct. shooter and his % last year was .37 pct.

3. He averages 18 games a season and only 10 mpg when he does get to play.

Why do you like a guy like that more then Joe Smith ?

We have enough athletes. We need some brains out their in my opinion.

Pops is not a scrub big man. Pops is what we need in a big man right now.

That is beside the point anyways when a Siler thread has 100 posts.

He's not a scrub?

Pops is a guy who is about to be 26 years old and he's 6'10 240 lbs who has a grand total of 140 points, 134 rebounds, and 5 blocks total in his entire career, combined.

We apparently just let go of a guy who just turned 25 years old who is 6'10 245 lbs who has a grand total of 412 points, 321 rebounds, and 81 blocks total in his entire career, combined.

So again, he's not a scrub?

I understand trying to be clever and finding the "diamond in the rough" but Solo is at the worst equal as a prospect, younger, and he knew our system and apparently we weren't interested in keeping him so why would we go out and pay roughly the same for a guy without even less impressive credentials?

I don't get it. You guys act like he can block a shot a game and dunk in 2 offensive rebounds if you give him 15 minutes. He averages 0.1 bpg in reality and barely shoots over 40%.

1. He has been in the league 3 years, for 3 teams, and never played more then 22 games in a season.

Coach, thank you for adding in the stats that I left out in my post which further illustrate why this guy is not a need for the Hawks.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Gotta admit that's good logic, dont' ya?

I can see the logic in a thread about a guy who came to camp with us versus a guy who the Hawks likely have zero interest in. At this point a thread like this is just about scanning the dregs of the NBA to try and find that "diamond in the rough".

Not that I think Siler is any better but at least there is some mystery about him, he's huge, and he has put on a Hawks jersey.

Bring Bonsu in! He would make a solid bench player for Smith, Horford. Very athletic, good defense, player that can still improve his game. Can get him cheap! I like him above Joe Smith.

Man, Pops is not even on the same level as Joe Smith. You sign Pops in lieu of Siler or Morris but not in lieu of Smith. Pops is a poor man's Reggie Evans at this point. He has potential but so do Siler and Morris.

Agreed.

He's not a scrub?

Pops is a guy who is about to be 26 years old and he's 6'10 240 lbs who has a grand total of 140 points, 134 rebounds, and 5 blocks total in his entire career, combined.

We apparently just let go of a guy who just turned 25 years old who is 6'10 245 lbs who has a grand total of 412 points, 321 rebounds, and 81 blocks total in his entire career, combined.

So again, he's not a scrub?

I am wondering what does this prove other than Solo found a good situation and found playing time while Pops didn't until now? Raptors went from a horrible defensive rebounding team to one of the best (Top 11) not only because of Marion but because of Pops as well. Solo was never a good rebounder (7.6 Per 36 is meh) for the PF/C position, a good blocker yes.

5.4 rebounds in 13.8 minutes(14.2 Rebounds Per 36) is very impressive. We lack rebounding. We lack energy and toughness. He answers those needs,

I am wondering what does this prove other than Solo found a good situation and found playing time while Pops didn't until now? Raptors went from a horrible defensive rebounding team to one of the best (Top 11) not only because of Marion but because of Pops as well. Solo was never a good rebounder (7.6 Per 36 is meh) for the PF/C position, a good blocker yes.

5.4 rebounds in 13.8 minutes(14.2 Rebounds Per 36) is very impressive. We lack rebounding. We lack energy and toughness. He answers those needs,

Joe Smith answers those needs, along with others.

If you want to sign Pops after you sign Joe Smith then that's fine but what I want to know is why you think the Hawks would sign him when they just let a very comparable and younger player go without so much as a whisper about it?