• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ESPN NEWS reporting Joe smith to hawks

georgiaheel

I am SOOOO happy! This move is huge! We needed this depth so bad. Now maybe Woodson can go a little easier on minutes with this added flexibility. This makes us a real threat to the "big three" in the East. I can't wait to get this season started already!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• Premium Member

So, does this mean an auto-ban for anyone who refers to a Hawk player by Joe or Smith?

We gotta get our short names lined up:

Joe Johnson = JJ

Josh Smith = Josh

Joe Smith = ??? (I refuse to call him Joe Beast)

Edited by mrhonline

I am new to the board but have been a hawks fan for thirty years. I understand the hesitation when a newbie breaks something on his fourth post so I am glad this has been verified. Great move for the Hawks/

Welcome aboard! No worries, most of the hesitation on this board usually occurs over the Hawks' resident beat writer stating that no Hawks related news occurs unless he reports on it. As you can imagine he tends to get outscooped often but fires back with such quips as "nothing official until monday" to somehow defend his journalistic integrity for not jumping the proverbial gun on reporting Hawks news.

So, does this mean an auto-ban for anyone who refers to a Hawk player by Joe or Smith?

We gotta get our short names lined up:

Joe Johnson = JJ

Josh Smith = Josh

Joe Smith = ??? (I refuse to call him Joe Beast)

Do people call Josh Smith 'Josh'? Whenever I talk about Josh Smith, I always say "Smoove".

Joe Johnson is just "Joe" to me.

So Joe Smith will be just "Smith" now. ;)

• Premium Member

Do people call Josh Smith 'Josh'? Whenever I talk about Josh Smith, I always say "Smoove".

Joe Johnson is just "Joe" to me.

So Joe Smith will be just "Smith" now. ;)

Smoove should be banned, too. There's nothing "Smoove" about Josh Smith.

If anything, Josh Smith should claim the right to "SWAT" back from Sean Williams.

1 year vet minimum huh? Hmm contrasting "reports" on the years but the money seems right. I know Joe wanted 3 years but I'm sure 1 was what management wanted, can't wait to see which side actually won out.

If we got him for the minimum does anyone here think there's a chance that we might not be done? I know there's no rule that we have to spend our entire MLE but we've got a nice chunk of change left to spend and signing guys like Siler/Hunter/etc to the minimum won't get us there. I think there's a shot we might sign one more veteran player before all is said and done.

Wow, this is the type of signing that shows our progress as a franchise. When we used to pick through the total trash and sign guys like Jonathan Edwards now we are getting a 2ndary prize to the cream of the crop. This also leaves open the chance for another solid backup. Who else is out there for us now? Flip returning?

or that many teams were not pushing that hard for him.

Unfortunately in this instance I have to agree with your opinion and it's likely a matter of options, although I bet we weren't the only team offering him the minimum or willing to offer it to him.

Let me get this straight.

We lost

Flip Murray, acie law and some bench trash.

We gained

Health

2 respected league vets, each of which can mentor others and spot start in:

Joe Smith

Jamal Crawford

A quality rookie: Teague

An understanding of how bad the hawks injury situation was.

A possible good project in Siler (keeping positive on this).

and everyone a year older which is good for everyone but Bibby.