• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Joe worth a re-sign?

Guest Squawker

Guest Squawker

So Joe's contract ends after this season and he has yet to be re-signed. Personally i think we should get Joe back, ever since 2005 he has revamped the Hawks leading them to some of their best performances. Then again we could release him and maybe pick up a guy in 2010 like D-Wade, Lebron, or another superstar, but knowing the Hawks office that is unlikely. Give me your thoughts.

So Joe's contract ends after this season and he has yet to be re-signed. Personally i think we should get Joe back, ever since 2005 he has revamped the Hawks leading them to some of their best performances. Then again we could release him and maybe pick up a guy in 2010 like D-Wade, Lebron, or another superstar, but knowing the Hawks office that is unlikely. Give me your thoughts.

We can't get Wade, Lebron...etc. We are at or above the cap. We couldn't add a player of that salary (20 mil) without dropping other needed players from our roster and replacing them with bargain bin. There are breaks to resigning your own guy. So to get Wade is the same as trading Joe, (insert starter here) for Wade, trash bin player. Then you open a hole at another position. First injury you get you are screwed.

• Admin

I would love to stick with joe johnson, but if we have a way to get dwayne wade or lebron thats an opportunity we cant afford to lose.

i think we going to just resign joe this yeear.

We are not going to get Lebron or Wade so you can forget about them. We have to resign Joe period and the 15 per for 4 years is worth it.

I hope he accepts.

• Premium Member

but if we have a way to get dwayne wade or lebron thats an opportunity we cant afford to lose.

Capologist, your students still don't understand how the cap works even though it has been explained a million times on this site. :cant believe:

Capologist, your students still don't understand how the cap works even though it has been explained a million times on this site. :cant believe:

I'm getting tired of people saying that we can/ could of sign player X, when they don't have

a clue how the cap works. I'm gonna neg the next person that does that.

I'm getting tired of people saying that we can/ could of sign player X, when they don't have

I saw that and didn't approve his post. All new members' posts have to be approved.

I thought about deleting it but I errored on the side of AHF - "free speech"

*sigh*

I know right. Grief!! Stop saying that. We can not Wade or LBJ. We need to get Joe Johnson back. Some of you guys live in dreamland i tell ya.

Joe Johnson is the star player of the team. He should definitely be resigned for all the things he did for the hawks.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it really depends on what he wants to resign...personally I'm not sure he really is a marque guy...he does a nice job but hes not playing up to his potential IMO...I'd like to see him attack the rim, get more free throw attempts and not disappear in the 4'th quarter of playoff games...the last two years Smith, flawed though he may be, has been the man stepping up and winning playoff games...if he is asking for a reasonable deal for the right number of years resign him but I'm hoping one of our other young players develops into the focal point of the team and Joe can be our #2 player.

I think it really depends on what he wants to resign...personally I'm not sure he really is a marque guy...he does a nice job but hes not playing up to his potential IMO...I'd like to see him attack the rim, get more free throw attempts and not disappear in the 4'th quarter of playoff games...the last two years Smith, flawed though he may be, has been the man stepping up and winning playoff games...if he is asking for a reasonable deal for the right number of years resign him but I'm hoping one of our other young players develops into the focal point of the team and Joe can be our #2 player.

I understand the poor playoff performance shows merit it not playing up to his potential - but take that away and he's been playing about as well as he can. I really don't see him improving at this point in his career. I think what Joe gives us is about all we can expect. We need to resign him. I think it gets done. Sund brings everyone else back from the core, I don't see how leaving the main piece out of the equation will happen.