• Raised $390 of $700 target

A new beginning for Jamal Crawford

pimp

A new beginning for Jamal Crawford

Comment Email Print Share

Granderson By LZ Granderson

Page 2

Archive | Contact

ATLANTA -- Jamal Crawford's summer started the same way every other summer has since he was drafted in 2000 -- early. In nine seasons, he's never made it to the playoffs. He's never even been on a winning team.

So when his agent called to tell him he was traded from the Golden State Warriors to the Atlanta Hawks, he got excited, but much of the basketball world just went back to sleep. In an offseason in which Shaq hooked up with LeBron, Artest joined Kobe and Vince linked with Dwight Howard, it's easy to see why "Crawford to the Hawks" was ignored.

But barring injury, that won't be the case come next spring.

[+] EnlargeJamal Crawford

Scott Cunningham/NBAE/Getty ImagesWill Jamal Crawford's combination of passing and shooting skills take the Hawks to the next level?

Just as the Magic slowly turned doubters into believers last year, this season it's the Hawks' turn. Not that they'll make the Finals, but they will win enough games over quality opponents to have people wondering if they could. And Crawford -- the only player in NBA history to score 50 points more than twice and not be an All-Star -- will be the reason.

"My main goal is just trying to fit in," Crawford said. "When you have a team as talented as this one, it's intimidating because you don't want to mess anything up. You just want to help. And I know I can help this team win. And I know they can help me be a better player, too."

Yeah, yeah, enough with the humility. Here's the deal: When it comes to ball, you have guys who pass and guys who can pass. Crawford is the latter, and outside of Joe Johnson, folks in Atlanta haven't seen a player like that since Kenny Anderson was at Georgia Tech. The Hawks won 47 games last season with streaky jump shooting. Add improved ball movement and increased interior scoring, and they've got to be good for five to 10 more wins, no?

"I'm from the same area [seattle] he's from, so we've gotten to play a lot together," Hawks forward Marvin Williams said. "We have a special chemistry on the court, but Jamal's the kind of player that can play with anybody."

Crawford's title of "the greatest player never to make the playoffs" is well-earned in the eyes of many around the league.

"Anybody who is paying attention knows Crawford is one of the best combo guards in the league," said an Eastern Conference scout. "The fact that he hasn't played for a winner has nothing to do with him. Chicago was rebuilding, the Knicks were the Knicks …

"The guy can get a good shot off on anybody and can just take over a game with his scoring. But he's not nearly as selfish as he used to be. He understands how to get the guys around him involved, and when you play above the rim like the Hawks, that can be scary."

Another scout out West said "Crawford will be like a black Ginobili … He may not start, but you can be damn sure he's gonna finish."

If you only look at the W-L columns, it sounds as if the scouts are on Crawford's payroll. You might even think dude is slipping me a couple of bills, too. But the truth is I've had the chance to see him in action a lot over the years, particularly when he was a Knick. No doubt his shot selection has been sketchy at times -- especially early in his career -- but the one thing that always stuck out was his ability to get the ball to players in spots where they could be successful.

He simply KHP -- knows his personnel. Sounds easy, but it's not.

Take Eddy Curry, for instance. Early in the 2006-07 season Curry was on a tear, shooting nearly 60 percent from the field, averaging more than 20 points per game and even hearing faint whispers about an All-Star Game appearance. Then, in February, the wheels fell off. Crawford went out for the season with an ankle injury, and all of Curry's numbers dropped, except one: turnovers. Curry was still getting touches, but no one else knew how to get him the ball in spots where he could be successful. Granted, Curry has always had hands of stone, but in April of that season he was up to nearly five turnovers a game.

Needless to say Crawford, who averages more than four assists per game for his career, was missed.

"Our bigs love him," said Hawks coach Mike Woodson. "I knew he could score, but he can also run a team. On pick-and-rolls, he's dropping the ball off for easy buckets for our bigs, where in the past they might not have gotten the ball.

"He's still learning what we like to do defensively, but no question, his impact on the team is felt."

Crawford's impact in Atlanta goes beyond the team. His 11-year-old son, Eric, spends the summers with him in his Seattle-area home but lives in Atlanta during the school year.

"This is the first time we've ever lived in the same city," Crawford said. "When I told him I was traded here, we both were so excited because we knew we could see each other more. So it's all good."

After 10 years, it finally seems to be shaping up that way.

My linkhttp://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=granderson/091022&sportCat=nba

If he plays like Ginobili this will go down as one of the biggest rip-off trades in Hawks history.

Another scout out West said "Crawford will be like a black Ginobili … He may not start, but you can be damn sure he's gonna finish."

Yes. I don't care for the "black" reference. Not exactly what you would expect from ESPN but no one has ever doubted Crawfords skills; just his shoot first mindset. If he has matured to the point of not having to shoot; he will be our best 6th man ever.

Edited by Buzzard

• Admin

Yes. I don't care for the "black" reference. Not exactly what you would expect from ESPN but no one has ever doubted Crawfords skills; just his shoot first mindset. If he has matured to the point of not having to shoot; he will be our best 6th man ever.

He has always had a terrible shot selection but I am very excited to see what he will do for us.

He has better individual talent than Ginobali, but he has never been on playoff team where his skills were of actual importance other than stat stuffing. I think ppl are goinged to be shocked by us this year, to the point that by the end of the season, they will ask themselves "what were we thinking before the season started by sleeping on Atlanta, how did we miss all that talent?" lol

He has always had a terrible shot selection but I am very excited to see what he will do for us.

Like the article says, its his 1st chance to shine on a playoff team. That and the fact he is near his kid makes me think he will enjoy it here; and really want to succeed. Would be awesome to see him smiling after a 14 point, 8 assist win.

He played last year on GS where his coach benched him because he knew Crawford wouldn't be staying and he needed time for Ellis. Nelson also publicly called for Crawford to opt out of his contract. Before that he played for the Knicks who were a train wreck. it would have been understandable if he threw both teams under the bus and trashed them after the trade.

However listening to his interview he refused to say anything bad about either team. I was pretty impressed by that.

If Jamal wants tio pass the ball and get others involved more, go right ahead sir. I'd love it if he averaged 11 ppg and 7 assts off the bench . . rather than average 17 ppg and 4 assists, while shooting his usal 40% FG off the bench. He just can't keep shooting when his shot is off.

I would love to see Woody rest JJ tonight, and insert Jamal in the starting lineup tonight opposite Dwyane Wade ( if he plays ). Throw him into the fire, and see how he and the rest of the squad plays with him as the lead guard, and not JJ.

Seriously. When he scored 50, he was scoring it off of NBA starting shooting guards. When he comes in the came as a backup, he will be playing against far inferior talent. He has to be licking his chops.

The level of competition he's playing against isn't the problem, unless they're sending 2 guys at him. It's the type of shots that he takes, that is the problem. He LOVES the off the dribble jumpshot. It doesn't matter if D-Wade is guarding him, or JJ Redick, he's more than likely going to settle for the same off the dribble ( sometimes falling away ) jumper.

And he can make that shot. Even make it while being fouled.

But that's also part of the problem. Because on average, he doesn't make those types of shots nearly enough. It then becomes detrimental to the team, for him to keep shooting like that. Flip had some games like that ( especially during the playoffs ).

So if he's 1 - 5 FG, and he's out on the court with Mo Evans, who is 3 - 3,FG I want him to find a way to get Mo the ball, instead of him jacking up another long jumper. If he consistently does that, we'll be much better off as a team.

So far it seems as if hes has been doing that. he has shot poorly but has kept his teamates involved. If his 2 outing are examples of what the fans of his former teams meant by him going awfully cold most nights then I can live with it. we all keep saying that if his shot isnt falling he needs to defer and he has been doing just that. Hate to be an opponent when he has a hot night.

When we first got Crawford I wasnt as happy because I thought it meant we wouldnt be drafting a pg in a pg rich draft. Then when we drafted Teague, I felt ok but figured it meant the end to Bibby in ATL. THEN when we resigned Bibby I felt really great about the entire situation as it now meant we were VERY deep in the backcourt, and probably have the most talented guard unit in the league. I must admit, it takes patience when dealing with Sund, but so far he is working out.

Crawford is in a good situation with the Hawks, and the Hawks are in a good situation with him. Works well for both parties, and that only increases the chances of sustained on-court success this season.

Edited by RedDawg#8