• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woodson asks for fans to show up !

coachx

I'm sure i'll get flamed but if they really want to fill the seats they could lower the ticket prices. Sure they are giving tix away but that only helps if they give them to ME. Which they don't. I'd go to more if you could get decent seats for a decent price. Someone said they like Philips because they can always get lower level seats for $25. If you can get scalper/broker tix for a fraction of the face value of the seat then there's a problem.

I'm not flaming you at all but the Knicks tickets cost more than twice as much as Hawks tickets despite the fact that we are twice as good as they are. The Hawks have season ticket packages available in the LOWER LEVEL for $999/seat. That is $23/game to sit in the lower level. That is a GREAT deal. People want the ASG to exceed the luxury tax to field a better team but they can't even sell tickets for $23/game that the Knicks sell for $110/game.

The situation is simple and it has nothing to do with the economy. As a rule, ALL Atlanta sport teams have to deal with the reality that this is a frontrunner or superstar town. If you want people to come the games, you had better be REALLY good (Early 90's Braves) or you had better have a superstar (Mike Vick). If you can win AND have a superstar, you will finally please this fan base.

• Like 1

I'm not flaming you at all but the Knicks tickets cost more than twice as much as Hawks tickets despite the fact that we are twice as good as they are. The Hawks have season ticket packages available in the LOWER LEVEL for $999/seat. That is $23/game to sit in the lower level. That is a GREAT deal. People want the ASG to exceed the luxury tax to field a better team but they can't even sell tickets for $23/game that the Knicks sell for $110/game.

The situation is simple and it has nothing to do with the economy. As a rule, ALL Atlanta sport teams have to deal with the reality that this is a frontrunner or superstar town. If you want people to come the games, you had better be REALLY good (Early 90's Braves) or you had better have a superstar (Mike Vick). If you can win AND have a superstar, you will finally please this fan base.

Yea, but you also pay $20 to see a movie in NY and if you actually live in NY you make a higher salary because everything is so expensive.

I think dropping the prices a little would help a bit. Especially for the weekday games. They could offer $5 nose-bleed seats. If the game doesn't sell well most of those people will move to the open seats in the lower level and it will at least look like a better crowd.

The Hawks have got to keep on putting a good product out on the basketball on a consistent, and then the fans will come back. The Hawks were lousy and boring for a long time. It's going to take some years to recover from all of those years of futility. However, attendance is rising, and if the Hawks keep going like they are, I think that we'll see a packed arena towards the end of the season.

Yea, but you also pay $20 to see a movie in NY and if you actually live in NY you make a higher salary because everything is so expensive.

I think dropping the prices a little would help a bit. Especially for the weekday games. They could offer $5 nose-bleed seats. If the game doesn't sell well most of those people will move to the open seats in the lower level and it will at least look like a better crowd.

I'd say that $110/game versus $23/game is a HUGE difference. It's about discretionary spending. I have friends who LOVE NBA basketball who choose not to buy Hawks tickets unless a superstar is in town. I've seen a couple of those guys spend more on a bar tab in ONE NIGHT than it would cost them for season tickets to the Hawks. Those guys can afford to sit courtside and they do...when LeBron or Kobe is in town.

I understand that not everyone has money like that (I sure as heck don't) but there are more than enough cheap tickets out there that the Hawks should draw better crowds than they do. When I first got to Atlanta, I had to buy tickets in the upper level but I didn't care because I was THERE. That was in the Omni. Those seats paled in comparison to the upper level seats at Philips. Philips Arena is a FANTASTIC venue. Definitely Top 10 in the league and arguably Top 5. Bottom line, if I could only afford upper level seats, that's exactly where I would be.

• Moderators

I'd say that $110/game versus $23/game is a HUGE difference. It's about discretionary spending. I have friends who LOVE NBA basketball who choose not to buy Hawks tickets unless a superstar is in town. I've seen a couple of those guys spend more on a bar tab in ONE NIGHT than it would cost them for season tickets to the Hawks. Those guys can afford to sit courtside and they do...when LeBron or Kobe is in town.

I understand that not everyone has money like that (I sure as heck don't) but there are more than enough cheap tickets out there that the Hawks should draw better crowds than they do. When I first got to Atlanta, I had to buy tickets in the upper level but I didn't care because I was THERE. That was in the Omni. Those seats paled in comparison to the upper level seats at Philips. Philips Arena is a FANTASTIC venue. Definitely Top 10 in the league and arguably Top 5. Bottom line, if I could only afford upper level seats, that's exactly where I would be.

I have a million problems with Philips but I'll just address this one. The seats you want to a basketball game are on the side of the court. Philips only has one side of the court available to purchase for an individual game. so compared to almost any other arena in the league we have half as many decent seats available to the average fan.

I have a million problems with Philips but I'll just address this one. The seats you want to a basketball game are on the side of the court. Philips only has one side of the court available to purchase for an individual game. so compared to almost any other arena in the league we have half as many decent seats available to the average fan.

First of all, I sit in the corner on the lower level near the Hawks' bench and I LOVE my seats.

Second, there were THOUSANDS of empty seats on that "one side" vs POR.

Third, most of the newer arenas have luxury boxes and club seats.

I'll post these 2 links again, in case people missed it in the Philips Arena thread:

NBA 2007 ticket prices:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/116348

NBA 2009 ticket prices: ( note - you have to click on the link at the end of the article to see the 2009 pricing chart. It's a PDF file )

http://www.teammarketing.com/blog/index.html?article_id=99

Hawks ticket prices for this year are roughly $3 more than the league average. It's really no excuse to not go to the games, if you are a fan of the team and live in metro Atlanta.

What some of you have to decide, is if you're willing to make the Hawks your #1 priority when spending your entertainmebt dollars. If not, then you'll always be able to come up with an excuse not to see the team.

And those of you with families, it'll obviously be a bigger hit in the bank account for you. But the premise is still the same. Are you willing to spend $100 - $300 for your wife and kids, to see a Hawks game every now and then? Are you willing to scale back on some wasteful spending, in order to make that happen? If not, then you'll also have a ready-made excuse to not see the Hawks.

One thing about it folks ( and Traceman said it right ), you can't expect these owners to do everything possible to field a winning squad, if the fans aren't willing to come out and pay to see the Hawks every once in a while.

You can't expect them to pay JJ, or any other major free agent what their market value is, if you as a fan aren't willing to spend money to see your favorite team live and in person. And the ASG damn well won't pay the luxury tax, if we're a 50+ win team, but are still in te bottom 5 or 10 in ticket revenue.

We can't be a top level team, with a sub-par fan base.

First of all, I sit in the corner on the lower level near the Hawks' bench and I LOVE my seats.

And when I get 200 level tix off ticketmaster via the Hawks website, I like to sit in the 207 section, which is also in the corner . . and are damn good seats for $55 dollars. You can see the scoreboard, and the stat board for whomever is in the game at that time, from those seats. If I lived in ATL, that would definitely be where I purchased season tixs at.

A round trip for me ( from middle TN to ATL . . roughly 600 miles ) to see a Hawks game costs me around $150 - $250.

- $55 - 60 for tix ( if I take my ladyfriend that lives in Smyrna to the game, that's over $100 for tixs

- $50 gas

- $5 to park, because I park in a lot on Marietta St about 1/2 mile from the CNN Center ( $10 at the most for parking )

- $10 - 20 for food & drink

- up to $50 if I buy some team gear at the Hawks store. ( bought the red Josh Smith jersey when I came down for the Wizards game )

I was going to try to make the Orando game, but that's out the question now. So my target is to make either the Detroit, Jersey, or Utah game in mid December.

I make it a point to see this team in person, at least every 4 - 6 weeks.

I'm glad that the city does at least show up for playoff time.

Like I said I go when I can, most of the time im not off early enough to even see the game let alone make it to the game. If it wasn't for this site I wouldn't even know what was going on in the games half the time. There will be a time when I'll b a season ticket holder but that time just isn't now.

Yeah, I have sat all around the corners and I have never had a problem. The only seats I don't like are the ones directly behind the goal.

dang i wished i lived in ATL. Been trying to get stationed in GA for years now. Hopefully i can get it for my next duty station and im getting season tickets to the hawks, braves and falcons..LOL.

I'm not living in Atl but I was born and raised there, and Northcyde and Traceman have nailed it - this is a city full of frontrunner/superstar sports fans. The only thing people really get excited about is college football.

I went to 10-15 games a year even in the dark, dark days of the early 2000's; I would be definitely have some sort of season ticket package if I was there now.

It is hypocritical to complain about losing players when we can't consistently fill the arena with paying customers. This is a good product on the floor so people need to come out and support it.

Atlanta is a crappy sports town, yes.

I'll be at every FRIGGIN game in section 303 row 2 screaming my head off. EVERY GAME.

DEFENSE!!!! DEFENSE!!! DEFENSE!!!

To be fair, when you go to a lot of games, you get to know quite a few people that are right there with you each and every night. There ARE die hard fans out there who have stuck through the good times and the bad as far back as I can remember.

I cant remember the last time I missed a Hawks game @ home - it's been years. I also travel to at least one road game a year. (Last year I was @ the Orlando game where they had us by 50+ points...I was miserable - but it happens.)

I've been one to bash the hawks since I've moved down here last year but I gotta give props where it's due. They are playing good ball so far. My only thing about atlanta and its fans are they are pretty weak. the first half of the game looks like a H.S. game. I've never seen anything like ATL fans to not be in their seats during tip-off. half the arena are paying for only 2 quarters, it's pretty sad to see. Hopefully it'll get better soon

Edited by LordOfNYork