• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A Formula for Success?

niremetal

• Premium Member

In 2006-2007, the Hawks averaged 38.7ppg in the paint, good for 18th in the league. We also averaged 11.8 fast break points per game in 2006-2007, tied for 17th in the league.

This year, we are averaging a whopping 51.4ppg in the paint, tops in the NBA. We also are averaging 17.6 fast break ppg, good for 3rd in the league.

Against New Orleans, we scored just 40 points in the paint, more than 20% below our season average. We got just 13 fast break points, 35% below our season average.

Hmmmmmmmmmm... :whistling:

Edited by niremetal

More than anything else, the maturing of Josh Smith has made a whopping difference.

He's not a 3 point shooter this season. He's playing down there where the rebounds

are and getting his share. Box out. Yep. The entire team is learning that.

Grabbing that rebound is the beginning of the fast break. They go hand in hand. You

just can't fast break is you don't have the ball! Well, duh!

• Admin

The improved rebounding is more of a factor, IMO.

I think the thing that has caused the improved rebounding is that we have been boxing out more. That is something we never use to do. Previous years teams would get easy rebounds because our guys would just let the opposing players go by. This year we are making a legitimate effort to keep the paint ours. I wonder if Joe Smith had some influence there?

I didn't bother to look up the state compared to previous years, but it looks like we're moving the ball better as well. Also, players are actually moving to get open on offence.

You can't underestimate Josh Smith's D this year either.

Definitely the rebounding has helped. If you're getting defensive stops and rebounding, that allows you to push the ball and get points in the paint. It all works together.

So in other words, they're doing more of what Woody constantly tells them to do.

Defense + rebounding = creation of fast break points for quick offense.

• Moderators

So in other words, they're doing more of what Woody constantly tells them to do.

Defense + rebounding = creation of fast break points for quick offense.

Agreed, but I will note that every coach in the league -- even the ones who focus primarily on offense -- tell their teams to play defense and rebound. Putting players in the best position to accomplish the goals of the team is the job of the coach. I think I join everyone else in saying that I am glad that after 5 years of coaching that Woodson seems to be getting the concept of blocking out into the team's approach to rebounding.

I think I join everyone else in saying that I am glad that after 5 years of coaching that Woodson seems to be getting the concept of blocking out into the team's approach to rebounding.

I don't think the problem was ever the fact the Woody never told his guys to box out. The players, mainly Smoove, are just now listening. Horford and Marvin have alwayse boxed out.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

Since every coach in the league tells their team this, Woody should get credit for his players buying into this and being 3rd in fast break points due to improved rebounding.

Agreed. He should get credited for getting Josh and Horford to finally focus on blocking out. With his athleticism, Josh will only be a mediocre rebounder if he doesn't try or doesn't position himself correctly.

• Moderators

I don't think the problem was ever the fact the Woody never told his guys to box out. The players, mainly Smoove, are just now listening. Horford and Marvin have alwayse boxed out.

I'll leave the debate of whether a coach should be able to get a player to buy prior to year 6 under the same coach and simply say that I am happy Woody finally got this message through.

IMO, Marvin does not do a good job on the boards, though. He still needs work on elevating his rebounding. With his size, he should be a lot better than 4.9 rpg this season.

• Premium Member

You mind sending me the link to where you got the stats for fastbreak points? The times I have tried to find that info I never seem to come across it easily.

The links are in my original post. For this year, the link is:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/fastbreak-points-per-game

I'll leave the debate of whether a coach should be able to get a player to buy prior to year 6 under the same coach and simply say that I am happy Woody finally got this message through.

IMO, Marvin does not do a good job on the boards, though. He still needs work on elevating his rebounding. With his size, he should be a lot better than 4.9 rpg this season.

I don't think it was Woody that finally hit the switch to change Smoove's game. Their differences are well documented. He may have been preaching the right things to Smoove over 5 years, but Smoove sure wasn't listening. I mean, you don't go from jacking terrible shots up for 5 years to (through 14 games one three in desperation). Somebody went to Smoove and told him you've been in the league 5 years now....you have the tools to be an all-star...you need to be doing - - - exactly what he's doing in 09-10.

Woody deserves a lot of credit. He does. We've improved every year, and we may get over 50 wins this year, sure. My beef with Woody is his offensive gameplan. I just don't see us ever getting to the level we all want riding the coattails of guys that score individually. It's overused, plain and simple. Everyone in the league knows what's coming on offense for Atlanta. If we are fortunate enough to get deeper in the playoffs, it will be exposed. Good coaches in May and June will shut the iso game down, when it really matters.

• Like 1