• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Note to crybaby Hawk fans: Get off the bandwagon RIGHT NOW!

TheNorthCydeRises

But if a loss like this is going to have you question your fandom, just save yourself the grief. Turn in your Hawks bandwagon ticket right now. Do yourself a favor and don't torment yourself any longer.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Don't torment the rest of us either with your silly and over the top posts !

• Like 1

• Premium Member

:offtopic2: what was the deal with the organist last night?

Edited by NineOhTheRino

i usually the first one to rant but i agre with the poster.HOW CAN WE COMPL:AIN? sense we never adressed the bigs issue and we dont have a coach that has the balls or the immagination to develope abigs combination off the bench that could negate howard btween ( hunter, randolpn, collins) i say we go stock up our bench with firepower and get somebody else with the mentality of a flipp murry or some europlayer 6'-10" that can stroke a 3 pointer.

• Premium Member

i usually the first one to rant but i agre with the poster.HOW CAN WE COMPL:AIN? sense we never adressed the bigs issue and we dont have a coach that has the balls or the immagination to develope abigs combination off the bench that could negate howard btween ( hunter, randolpn, collins) i say we go stock up our bench with firepower and get somebody else with the mentality of a flipp murry or some europlayer 6'-10" that can stroke a 3 pointer.

thought they had that in Crawford.

And this is specifically targeted to all of you who feel that this team isn't worth watching, simply because we melt down against the "elite" teams. Seriously . . just save yourself some torment, and quit watching the Hawks.

I know people are frustrated by last night's epic meltdown, but that's simply the way basketball goes sometimes. Ask Cleveland fans when they started 0 - 2. After about the 8 minute mark in the 3rd qtr, this team simply couldn't make a shot. This wasn't like the Laker collapse, in which the Lakers turned up the intensity, and basically punked the whole team. Last night was simply about the Hawks missing shots . . plain and simple.

That . . and "Dad" scoring 15 4th quarter points.

But to all of you who are going to continue to cry every time we don't beat an elite team, and use that as your justification to not go to games, or to not support the team, you should simply turn in your Hawks ticket, and follow another team.

Seriously.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be pissed at last night. You should. But you knew the deal with this team before the season started. We've overcome every hurdle, except this one. That DOES make us a good team, but maybe not a great team.

Remember folks . . we won 37 games a mere 2 years ago. 37. So don't act like a Hawk team that is on its way to winning 50+ games, and probably winning 30+ games at home, isn't worth watching. And if the only time you cn get jacked up about a game, is when we play the big boys, then that's another issue in itself.

Cry about this loss if you want, but this team has to immeadiately bounce back and play 2 road games against Philly and Detroit within the next 3 days. Win those 2 games, and we finish a brutal October/November stretch with a 13 - 4 record . . . which will still be one of the best records in the league. Even a 12 - 5 record would be ahead of everyone's expectations before the season started.

But if a loss like this is going to have you question your fandom, just save yourself the grief. Turn in your Hawks bandwagon ticket right now. Do yourself a favor and don't torment yourself any longer.

sheep.jpeg

The mindset that I can't buy into.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

thought they had that in Crawford.

well sense it seems like marvin and mo evans are going to be offensive duds this year and their are no other bigs to obtain, we might as well shore up our bench wit h sharp shooters. sometime crawford comes in withjoe. and when both are cold whom else do we have to put the ball in the basket off the bench.

well sense it seems like marvin and mo evans are going to be offensive duds this year and their are no other bigs to obtain, we might as well shore up our bench wit h sharp shooters....

I'll admit that I only watched parts of last night's game (too much other good stuff on the TV sports-wise)...but I went to USAToday to check out the game article and the box score this morning and read something odd. Did Marvin actually shoot a perimeter shot left handed last night? The writer was kind of making fun of it in the game article.

I realize Marvin has been trying to expand his offensive repertoire (starting to shoot the threes last year being a good example) ...but to start shooting jump shots with either hand? That might be taking it a bit too far. stirthepot.gif

Opps, my bad, it was from the AJC article "Forward Marvin Williams lofted a shot with his opposite hand."

Edited by DJlaysitup

THe hawks have a roster problem. I think that if I were coach and I were playing the Magic that if I were coming back then I'd want Marvin to be playing as a stretch the floor PF. The problem is that the hawks do not have an interior presense to match up with Howard so in order to play Marvin at PF you almost have to just throw up the white flag. If Josh SMith coudl actually shoot from the outside I'd say you just go small and try and draw Howard from the middle but Josh is not capable of that.

And this is specifically targeted to all of you who feel that this team isn't worth watching, simply because we melt down against the "elite" teams. Seriously . . just save yourself some torment, and quit watching the Hawks.

I know people are frustrated by last night's epic meltdown, but that's simply the way basketball goes sometimes. Ask Cleveland fans when they started 0 - 2. After about the 8 minute mark in the 3rd qtr, this team simply couldn't make a shot. This wasn't like the Laker collapse, in which the Lakers turned up the intensity, and basically punked the whole team. Last night was simply about the Hawks missing shots . . plain and simple.

That . . and "Dad" scoring 15 4th quarter points.

But to all of you who are going to continue to cry every time we don't beat an elite team, and use that as your justification to not go to games, or to not support the team, you should simply turn in your Hawks ticket, and follow another team.

Seriously.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be pissed at last night. You should. But you knew the deal with this team before the season started. We've overcome every hurdle, except this one. That DOES make us a good team, but maybe not a great team.

Remember folks . . we won 37 games a mere 2 years ago. 37. So don't act like a Hawk team that is on its way to winning 50+ games, and probably winning 30+ games at home, isn't worth watching. And if the only time you cn get jacked up about a game, is when we play the big boys, then that's another issue in itself.

Cry about this loss if you want, but this team has to immeadiately bounce back and play 2 road games against Philly and Detroit within the next 3 days. Win those 2 games, and we finish a brutal October/November stretch with a 13 - 4 record . . . which will still be one of the best records in the league. Even a 12 - 5 record would be ahead of everyone's expectations before the season started.

I for one, agee with you Northcyde. I swapped by 2 season tix for 4 to bring my out of town brother & his girlfriend to the game. I was very dissappointed with the 2nd half, to say the least. But the reality is that I have been very concerned about our match ups with Orlando since last year. They have a force in the middle in Dwight and lights out spot up shooters, creating a damned if we do and damned if we don't situation. Swapping Turk for Vince and Anderson exacerbated the problem. The fact is, outside of the last 6 minutes of the first half last night, those matchup discrepancies were evident throughout the game.

In the 2nd half, Dwight shut down the lane. Those JJ teardrop drives that usually save us when we desperately need a bucket in a drought were being swatted like flies, or so altered that they had no chance. When we couldn't hit a perimeter shot either, and Anthony Johnson (who was the only Magic player it made sense to leave open) was on fire, essentially game over. In addition, we had zero second chance shots in the second half, while Orlando seemed to clean up, including several fortuitous long rebounds that bounced their way.

I might like our chances against any other team in the league better than against the Magic. Shame they're in our division, but definitely gives us something to shoot for. Take solace in that we're 11-4 aganist a brutal starting schedule and about to hit an easier spell. If we take care of business against allegedly weaker teams in December, we could still have the top record in the East New Years Day. What that record might mean against Orlando, Cleveland, LA, Boston, San Antonio & Denver in the regular season and playoffs is yet to be determined, and I look forward to seeing if the Hawks can man up.

Edited by yardbird

I for one, agee with you Northcyde. I swapped by 2 season tix for 4 to bring my out of town brother & his girlfriend to the game. I was very dissappointed with the 2nd half, to say the least. But the reality is that I have been very concerned about our match ups with Orlando since last year. They have a force in the middle in Dwight and lights out spot up shooters, creating a damned if we do and damned if we don't situation. Swapping Turk for Vince and Anderson exacerbated the problem. The fact is, outside of the last 6 minutes of the first half last night, those matchup discrepancies were evident throughout the game.

In the 2nd half, Dwight shut down the lane. Those JJ teardrop drives that usually save us when we desperately need a bucket in a drought were being swatted like flies, or so altered that they had no chance. When we couldn't hit a perimeter shot either, and Anthony Johnson (who was the only Magic player it made sense to leave open) was on fire, essentially game over. In addition, we had zero second chance shots in the second half, while Orlando seemed to clean up, including several fortuitous long rebounds that bounced their way.

I might like our chances against any other team in the league better than against the Magic. Shame they're in our division, but definitely gives us something to shoot for. Take solace in that we're 11-4 aganist a brutal starting schedule and about to hit an easier spell. If we take care of business against allegedly weaker teams in December, we could still have the top record in the East New Years Day. What that record might mean against Orlando, Cleveland, LA, Boston, San Antonio & Denver in the regular season and playoffs is yet to be determined, and I look forward to seeing if the Hawks can man up.

Dwight didn't sto Miami from beating them... What about that loss to NO? This team has been playing sloppy since the Rockets game.

Sure northcyde they did miss all their shots which killed us. They also forgot that they were supposed to rebound a ball that didnt go in the hoop on both sides of the court. There were a couple times where 4 Magic Players were there for the board with no Hawk in sight. They let ANTHONY 4 TH STRING JOHNSON LOOK LIKE MAGIC JOHNSON.

Dwight didn't sto Miami from beating them... What about that loss to NO? This team has been playing sloppy since the Rockets game.

For Miami to win, it took Orlando uncharacteristically missing 5 of their last 8 free throws, including two in a row by an 80%+ career free throw shooter, and a very questionable last minute put back on a short shot by Wade that many think was offensive goal tending. Plus, Miami was making 4th quarter shots while the Hawks missed everything in the 2nd half (I know, I suffered through it in the stands while waiting for our typical 4th quarter defensive intensity and clutch shooting). In addition, I don't think Orlando was focused on Miami they way they were against us: Miami is not nearly the competitor to Orlando that Atlanta is (going back to Dwight & Josh's diaper days); Orlando did not expect a serious challenge from the struggling Heat in Orlando; and the Thanksgiving day game was 'send a message to the world time': national television, with Orlando either leaving as an elite team or one that lost back-to-back games, ending their streak. Unfortunately, Atlanta sent the wrong message to the world itself. Only way to rectify is a couple of strong nationally televised performances PLUS at least a season split with Orlando. That last one will be tough.

For Miami to win, it took Orlando uncharacteristically missing 5 of their last 8 free throws, including two in a row by an 80%+ career free throw shooter, and a very questionable last minute put back on a short shot by Wade that many think was offensive goal tending. Plus, Miami was making 4th quarter shots while the Hawks missed everything in the 2nd half (I know, I suffered through it in the stands while waiting for our typical 4th quarter defensive intensity and clutch shooting). In addition, I don't think Orlando was focused on Miami they way they were against us: Miami is not nearly the competitor to Orlando that Atlanta is (going back to Dwight & Josh's diaper days); Orlando did not expect a serious challenge from the struggling Heat in Orlando; and the Thanksgiving day game was 'send a message to the world time': national television, with Orlando either leaving as an elite team or one that lost back-to-back games, ending their streak. Unfortunately, Atlanta sent the wrong message to the world itself. Only way to rectify is a couple of strong nationally televised performances PLUS at least a season split with Orlando. That last one will be tough.

They sure didn't get blown out by 17 points. That's 4 times in a row that this team has basically been blown out by Orlando. This team has been missing shots outside of dunks and layups all year. Poor outside shooting has plagued this team so far. Josh Smith's play was the reason for the teams success, but now he is regressing more toward his typical play. It doesn't look like Al and Josh can sustain the play that they started off with.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

They sure didn't get blown out by 17 points. That's 4 times in a row that this team has basically been blown out by Orlando. This team has been missing shots outside of dunks and layups all year. Poor outside shooting has plagued this team so far. Josh Smith's play was the reason for the teams success, but now he is regressing more toward his typical play. It doesn't look like Al and Josh can sustain the play that they started off with.

We agree, Orlando is a problem for us. Remember a couple of years ago, it seemed like Josh had Dwight's number typically outplaying him and leading the Hawks to wins. Well, Dwight mature since then and uses his superior strength (and his superior jumping ability, which is rare for anyone to say against Josh) to dominate.

While I think Josh and Al have a legit shot at averaging double doubles, at least one of them with the other close, they won't do it every night. If both come close against Orlando, and we have legitimate games from Joe plus anyone of Bibby, Marvin, or Crawford (25ish from Joe and 12 to 20 from any two of the others), we should have a shot at being competitive with Orlando. Hopefully, we continue our confidence against Boston and establish some against Cleveland.

There are losses and then there are bad losses that change a season. I would not be surprised to see this team lose to Philly tonight. That loss was a confidence breaker IMO. Whatever good feeling they had about themselves went out the window with that game. Guarantee you that loss is one of those that will stick with this bunch. Not to mention all the other problems this team has. Smith shooting 59% from the line. Joe refusing to move the ball. Crawford playing playground ball. Bibby's defense and Marvin Williams's everything. Horford is probably the most solid player on the team and his size is a liability when we play teams that are long in the paint. I think we will be lucky to reach last years win total. I think alot of it will have to do with getting more out of Joe Smith from the bench and if Woody will play Teague enough to develop. Neither will happpen.

THe hawks have a roster problem. I think that if I were coach and I were playing the Magic that if I were coming back then I'd want Marvin to be playing as a stretch the floor PF. The problem is that the hawks do not have an interior presense to match up with Howard so in order to play Marvin at PF you almost have to just throw up the white flag. If Josh SMith coudl actually shoot from the outside I'd say you just go small and try and draw Howard from the middle but Josh is not capable of that.

Marvin got into early foul trouble both halves. It hurt our D both times; but still no excuse for being reduced to ISO JJ and jumpers. We played well enough in the 1st half to win but our stagnant one on one offense and Woody being out adjusted in the 2nd half cost us any chance to stay in this game.

Its one thing to lose when we play a good game against a good team; but to get blown away in the second half at home is a problem.

Edited by Buzzard

We are only questioning Woody's ability to game plan and adjust.

1st half Orlando dbl teamed JJ early and often. End result, ball was passed around not just for jumpers but also for drives by every player on our team except Bibby.

2nd half Orlando did not dbl JJ early; and due to his dribbling instead of passing out of the early dbl team, we were reduced to ISOs and jumpers that were not falling. JJ needs to pass sometimes without a dribble being taken. Every team in the NBA knows what JJ likes to do. A lot of dribbles then shoot or pass; they set him up for traps late in the shot clock with no time for adjustments or extra passes.

This was never easier to see than last night. A tale of two halves; 1st half, not a lot of ISO JJ because of the early dbl teams; but he still got his. 2nd half, way to much ISO JJ, he got his but we could not reset for an extra pass because the clock was inside 10 seconds. And yes Craw was guilty of this also; but his ISO shots are a lot earlier in the clock than JJ's.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

Good analyis.

I think what we're facing against Orlando, comes down to a matchup problem. You donmt want their gunners to get wide open looks, because they can quickly blow you out if they're knocking down shots. But on the flipside, Dwight can dominate a game if he's assertive in attacking the basket.

For a team like us, we can't really afford Horford and especially Josh to be in foul trouble, so I guess that's why we double Howard every chance we get, and force someone else to beat us. Zaza is usually good in banging against Dwight, but even he wasn't effective in that game.

I think why Orlando fell behind by so much, is because Dwight wasn't attacking, and freely passing the ball out to all those gunners, who weren't making anything. I think Carter was 4 - 12 FG in the first half, while Dwight only had 3 FG attempts.

In the 2nd half, it was all Dwight on both ends on the floor, like you said.

I agree with you in the fact that we may not have a major problem with any other team in the league. But Orlando right now is our kryptonite.

If we would've beat Orlando, tonight's game was the one I expected a letdown in. But we bounced back and got a nice win on the road against Philly.

So what does that make us?

12 - 4 . . right with the Magic . . and still with one of the best records in the NBA.

Contrary to popular belief, the sky does not fall because the Magic takes us out back and beats us up. All it means is that we can't beat the Magic up . . and probably the Lakers ( because they present the same type of matchup problems ).

But we can beat everyone else up.

Edited by northcyde