• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why won't Woodson MAKE SMOOVE quit shooting jumpshots!

gutz

I mean this has got to end at some point. Josh Smith is a TERRIBLE shooter period! He should never take a jumpshot just like Dwight Howard doesn't take jumpshots. He is killing us when he does this and wasting a possession. Woodson is either a complete p*ssy or Smoove is just not listening. If he isn't listening then suspend his dumb *ss a few games or bench him. Smoove's overall IQ is that of a rock if he doesn't realize he should not be shooting jumpshots ever!!!

I think both are true......Woodson is afraid to get into another argument with Smoove and Smoove is too dumb or egotistical to stop shooting jumpers. I would love to see Woodson bench him when he doesn't listen, but when have we EVER seen Woodson bench someone for playing dumb? I would also bench JJ when he tries to dribble like Curly Neal and Marvin when he turns invisible and Bibby when he doesn't play D.

I think both are true......Woodson is afraid to get into another argument with Smoove and Smoove is too dumb or egotistical to stop shooting jumpers. I would love to see Woodson bench him when he doesn't listen, but when have we EVER seen Woodson bench someone for playing dumb? I would also bench JJ when he tries to dribble like Curly Neal and Marvin when he turns invisible and Bibby when he doesn't play D.

Maybe Woody hasn't TOLD him to not shoot jumpers. Besides, we all know Josh struggles shooting, but at least they're not 3's! His game has matured...it is perfect? No, but he's starting to get a clue. MIght as well bench these guys for good then because:

a) Joe Johnson will always dribble way too much because that's what he's supposed to do....be the scorer. Our options are limited on offense.

b) Marvin will always seem invisible, it's the way his game is going to be in Atlanta...despite getting his 12pts and 5 boards and better than average defense.

c) Bibby can't play D. He's getting old and that's not his role anymore for this team.

Maybe Woody hasn't TOLD him to not shoot jumpers.

OH MY GOSH !

I know he didn't just go there !

Not only has Woody told it to him..................16,000 people are screaming it in Phillips every night. Every NBA writer tells it like it is whenever they evaluate the Hawks. I bet his opponents talk trash about his inablity to hit a wide open jumper during the games.

Smith knows he is a sorry shooter ! Heck, Charles Manson knew murder was against the law...........but that didn't stop him from doing it.

Edited by coachx

OH MY GOSH !

Not only has Woody told it to him..................16,000 people are screaming it in Phillips every night. Every NBA writer tells it like it is whenever they evaluate the Hawks. I bet his opponents talk trash about his inablity to hit a wide open jumper during the games.

Smith knows he is a sorry shooter ! Heck, Charles Manson knew murder was against the law...........but that didn't stop him from doing it.

Shooting 3's and shooting 15 footers are two different things. I don't think Woodson has ever said, "you're not allowed shooting the ball unless you're in the paint"...I just don't.

OH MY GOSH !

LOL

That's one thing that can be said about the crowd at Philips Arena. Everybody in the building is FULLY AWARE that Smoove shouldn't be taking any kind of jumpshot.

I was at the Cleveland game, and that situation came up. It was sometime in the 2nd half. Smoove gets the ball just outside of the right elbow, around the top of the key. He was wide open, and no Cleveland defender was going to even try to contest the shot.

All of a sudden, you hear the crowd say . . . NOOOOOOOOOOOO

And he didn't shoot it. I believe he passed it to JJ.

Well . . . JJ goes to make a move, gets stuck, and passes it back out to Smoove. Once again, he was wide open. Before the crowd could react again, he jacks up a jumper . . . CLANK.

(( mumble, mumble from the crowd ))

Smoove knows what's up. Woody stares him down everytime he misses a jumper, especially if he shoots it earlier in the shot clock. The crowd definitely lets him know that we don't want him taking jumpers at all.

But disciplining Smoove because of that, hurts the team. We'd try to correct one thing, but would also be taking our best hustle defensive player off the floor as well. So while he's on the bench to "teach him a lesson", we're seeing an 8 point lead shrink to 3 . . or a 2 point decifit balloon to 8.

Cutting off our nose to spite our face.

It'll be like cutting off your leg because you just tore your ACL. Yeah, you may not can run right now, but if you cut your leg off, you can't run at all.

Shooting 3's and shooting 15 footers are two different things. I don't think Woodson has ever said, "you're not allowed shooting the ball unless you're in the paint"...I just don't.

Yes you are correct but in Smoove's case he might as well be shooting 3's. It doesn't matter whether it's a 10ft jumper or a 3. The guy flat out can't shoot period!! It's obvious everytime he shoots the ball.

Josh Smith is a multi-million dollar paid basketball player. I highly doubt someone just telling him to stop shooting jumpshots will make him stop. It's simple, Josh Smith will stop shooting jumpshots when HE realizes that he needs to. Woodson, fans, everyone can tell him to stop shooting as much as they like, he's not going to do it and that should be evident by now.

The only problem is that the 3 point line is 23 feet 9 inches and Josh attempts almost all of his jumpers from exactly 23 feet.

• Moderators

But disciplining Smoove because of that, hurts the team. We'd try to correct one thing, but would also be taking our best hustle defensive player off the floor as well. So while he's on the bench to "teach him a lesson", we're seeing an 8 point lead shrink to 3 . . or a 2 point decifit balloon to 8.

Cutting off our nose to spite our face.

It'll be like cutting off your leg because you just tore your ACL. Yeah, you may not can run right now, but if you cut your leg off, you can't run at all.

I agree that Woodson doesn't love the long jumpers from Josh, but this argument doesn't fly.

First and foremost, Woodson has coached Josh Smith for 6 years now. Most of those years were weren't trying to make the playoffs - just improve our players, win what games we could, and build up our talent base. There is no way that Woodson has never had the opportunity to shut this down without crashing the franchise.

Second, how do you compare suspending a play for 2 games or roughly 2.5% of a season to cutting off your leg? Do we lose games due to Smoove's jump shooting? If so, you are probably better off doing something to get and keep his attention on this topic.

Third:

Josh is five years in the league now, man,” Woodson said after Smith’s 5-for-19 shooting effort in the loss to the Rockets. “And it comes down to time, score and situation. That’s the bottom line. We’re not telling him he can’t shoot 3-pointers but if you miss four or five jump shots, something has to go off in his head that says, ‘I have to do something else.’ “

Please just tell him to stop Woody!

Josh Smith is a multi-million dollar paid basketball player. I highly doubt someone just telling him to stop shooting jumpshots will make him stop. It's simple, Josh Smith will stop shooting jumpshots when HE realizes that he needs to. Woodson, fans, everyone can tell him to stop shooting as much as they like, he's not going to do it and that should be evident by now.

So your basically saying he is a moron.

If everyone in the arena, your teamates, and your coaches realize it and you don't...............well that = moron.

Being a " multi million dollar paid basketball player" does not make him any smarter or any better of a person then you or me. If anything it makes a hard headed person even more hard headed.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

The only problem is that the 3 point line is 23 feet 9 inches and Josh attempts almost all of his jumpers from exactly 23 feet.

And the least efficient shot in the game is the mid-range jumper. It's actually more efficient to shoot 25% from deep (you average .75 points per possession) than it is to shoot 35% from mid-range (.7 ppp). And as mrhonline's post showed, Josh is actually shooting 22% from midrange.

So yeah. I actually preferred it when he was chucking threes instead of long 2s. At least in those days we got 3 points instead of 2 when he actually managed to hit it.

All my argument is based on is the fact the dude isn't jacking up three's this year. To me, that's evolving as a player to his strengths as he gets older. Hell, if it takes him two more years to figure out that the 23, 18, 16 foot jumper isn't working, he'll get it.

All my argument is based on is the fact the dude isn't jacking up three's this year. To me, that's evolving as a player to his strengths as he gets older. Hell, if it takes him two more years to figure out that the 23, 18, 16 foot jumper isn't working, he'll get it.

If it takes him 2 more years to realize an issue that basic then the guy is mentally slow PERIOD

What would that be ? Year 7 or 8 in the NBA ?

Get off the short bus and wake up Smoove !

Edited by coachx

If it takes him 2 more years to realize an issue that basic then the guy is mentally slow PERIOD

What would that be ? Year 7 or 8 in the NBA ?

Get off the short bus and wake up Smoove !

He'll become a better shooter, mid-range 15-20 feet. He'll have to. But even year 7 makes him only 25 years old. Physically bad. But mentally, 7 years at his age?

He'll become a better shooter, mid-range 15-20 feet. He'll have to. But even year 7 makes him only 25 years old. Physically bad. But mentally, 7 years at his age?

Not tot be picky but he is 24 now..............in 2 more years he will be 26.

So your basically saying he is a moron.

If everyone in the arena, your teamates, and your coaches realize it and you don't...............well that = moron.

Being a " multi million dollar paid basketball player" does not make him any smarter or any better of a person then you or me. If anything it makes a hard headed person even more hard headed.

No, I'm not calling him a moron. He's just another wealthy person that feels he can do what he wants, when he wants. And no, it doesn't make him a better person, but it does give him more privileges than the average person. Wealth in America=power. It's that simple.