• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Which Hawks star had the best supporting Cast

Diesel

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If JJ's our star, he should be getting more out of his elite supporting cast. I think we have players on the team that can and should continue their rise (Al, Smoove, MW) and that the Woodson iso JJ concept is under-mining the true potential of the team. Under the present sheme (Woodson), I think re-signing JJ and tying up our cap space and roster flexibility would be a mistake. A JJ trade could bring in some good quality, balance the roster and invite a better scheme that would contribute to a higher team upside.

If JJ's our star, he should be getting more out of his elite supporting cast. I think we have players on the team that can and should continue their rise (Al, Smoove, MW) and that the Woodson iso JJ concept is under-mining the true potential of the team. Under the present sheme (Woodson), I think re-signing JJ and tying up our cap space and roster flexibility would be a mistake. A JJ trade could bring in some good quality, balance the roster and invite a better scheme that would contribute to a higher team upside.

Some of you are delusional. Horford and Smith are solid role players. Any team that has either one of those guys as their second best player is an average team at best.

• Premium Member

Seems to me that everybody is falling for the okadoke...

I was torn.. and this is why.

When we had Manning, we won 57 games. I think that's the most in our franchise's history.

It remains to be seen if we will top that this year. I believe we can, but will we.

The Smitty Mookie Deke team had 2 guys that were the best at what they did. Deke was the best defensive player and Mookie was the best defensive PG (this side of Payton).

Nique, Rivers, Whittman, and Rollins team won 57 games also but is often passed up for the Nique, Moses, Theus team that won 52 games and lost in the first round of the playoffs.

When we had Manning, we won 57 games. I think that's the most in our franchise's history.

It remains to be seen if we will top that this year. I believe we can, but will we.

The Smitty Mookie Deke team had 2 guys that were the best at what they did. Deke was the best defensive player and Mookie was the best defensive PG (this side of Payton).

Nique, Rivers, Whittman, and Rollins team won 57 games also but is often passed up for the Nique, Moses, Theus team that won 52 games and lost in the first round of the playoffs.

50-32

Rk Player Age G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

1 Steve Smith 28 73 73 39.1 6.7 15.1 .444 1.3 3.8 .351 5.3 6.2 .855 1.8 2.4 4.2 4.0 1.0 0.4 2.4 3.0 20.1

2 Alan Henderson 25 69 33 29.0 5.3 10.9 .485 0.0 0.1 .500 3.7 5.6 .652 2.9 3.5 6.4 1.1 0.6 0.5 1.6 2.5 14.3

3 Christian Laettner 28 74 49 30.8 4.8 9.9 .485 0.1 0.4 .222 4.1 4.8 .864 1.9 4.7 6.6 2.6 1.0 1.0 2.5 3.3 13.8

4 Dikembe Mutombo 31 82 82 35.6 4.9 9.1 .537 0.0 0.0 3.7 5.5 .670 3.4 8.0 11.4 1.0 0.4 3.4 2.0 3.1 13.4

5 Mookie Blaylock 30 70 69 38.6 5.3 13.4 .392 1.3 4.8 .269 1.4 1.9 .709 1.2 3.7 4.9 6.7 2.6 0.3 2.5 1.7 13.2

6 Tyrone Corbin 35 79 79 34.2 4.2 9.5 .439 0.6 1.8 .348 1.3 1.6 .789 1.0 3.6 4.6 2.2 1.3 0.1 1.1 2.5 10

7 Eldridge Recasner 30 59 14 24.6 3.5 7.7 .456 1.1 2.5 .419 1.3 1.3 .937 0.5 1.9 2.4 2.0 0.7 0.0 1.5 1.6 9.3

I am one who voted for the Theus and Malone season. For me the biggest screw up was Kac over Tree. We should have let Kac go to Houston and kept Tree as a defensive stopper.

I read an article years ago that Reggie thought that team should have stayed together one more year. As a fan who saw them play, I agree 110%.

Can you say Houston Rockets of the EAST. No stars, win on scrappingness and hustle. Yea, still make the playoffs as a lower seed and 1st round exit. Not good enough to beat any top 4 seeds without a star player. But hey, if thats what you want .....

I am one who voted for the Theus and Malone season. For me the biggest screw up was Kac over Tree. We should have let Kac go to Houston and kept Tree as a defensive stopper.

I read an article years ago that Reggie thought that team should have stayed together one more year. As a fan who saw them play, I agree 110%.

I agree with you... but also, let's not forget that what we missed the most that season was Kevin Willis!

Moses and Theus were clearly on the decline (offensively orientated players), which hurt our D and chemistry that season, as you mentioned...

• Premium Member

I agree with you... but also, let's not forget that what we missed the most that season was Kevin Willis!

Moses and Theus were clearly on the decline (offensively orientated players), which hurt our D and chemistry that season, as you mentioned...

That year, it was hard to tell the difference between Theus and Eldridge Recasner. It wsa hard to know that Theus was an allstar quality player. Moses was a scoring big man, but he was on the decline. He would get to the line though. What we missed was some defense. I remember Green, Cummings, and Pierce lighting us up in the playoffs.

That year, it was hard to tell the difference between Theus and Eldridge Recasner. It wsa hard to know that Theus was an allstar quality player. Moses was a scoring big man, but he was on the decline. He would get to the line though. What we missed was some defense. I remember Green, Cummings, and Pierce lighting us up in the playoffs.

Even Roberts had a great series against us! We had no interior D.

Looking back on that particular season... I think Fratello also lost the handle on the team, and his biggest mistake was playing Levingston at PF. Antoine Carr was much better option, even Koncak (as it was experimented in the second part of that season).

• Moderators

Moses was a scoring big man, but he was on the decline. He would get to the line though.

He did get to the line effectively but was a huge black hole that didn't do as much for the offense as you would think. Still a good player, but not as good as the stats suggest, IMO.

Like who?

I agree. Tree was the only legit shot blocking presence on that team. Keep him around at least in a backup role over Koncak.

That 88 - 89 team that had Nique, Moses, Rivers and Theus pretty much choked in the playoffs. What they did that year, would be the equivalent to us losing that series to Miami last year. No way they should've lost to Milwaukee that year, especially seeing that we had swept them in the regular season. The Hawks were 4th in offense and 9th in defense that season. They were one of the most well-rounded Hawk teams we've ever had here.

Also, Kevin Willis didn't play that entire season because he broke his foot or a toe or something involving his foot. With Willis in the mix, that team had a chance to be really special. But even without Willis, that teams was good, and should've beaten Milwaukee that year in the playoffs.

You guys keep taking about Moses being on the decline and being a black hole. Yeah, he was on the decline . . . if you compare him to what he did over HIS career. But that dude was still a dominant center that made the All-Star team that year. Moses is still the best offensive rebounder I've ever seen.

I remember some games in which Moses was virtually unstoppable that year. But he did have some games in which he was off. Still, when you look back on this guys game log from that year, you have to be impressed of what he was able to do.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/malonmo01/gamelog/1989/

I wouldn't give Manning that much credit, we won 57 games partly because of Domonique not Manning. We wouldn't have gotten put out in the 2nd round if Nique had not got traded.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't give Manning that much credit, we won 57 games partly because of Domonique not Manning. We wouldn't have gotten put out in the 2nd round if Nique had not got traded.

We always got put out in the second round before. What makes you think that year would have been different? I can't see us getting past those Pacers with or without Nique.

We always got put out in the second round before. What makes you think that year would have been different? I can't see us getting past those Pacers with or without Nique.

We were playing great that year before the trade, it just seemed like our time. We would have would 60+ if Nique would not have gotten traded.

• Premium Member

You guys keep taking about Moses being on the decline and being a black hole. Yeah, he was on the decline . . . if you compare him to what he did over HIS career. But that dude was still a dominant center that made the All-Star team that year. Moses is still the best offensive rebounder I've ever seen.

I remember some games in which Moses was virtually unstoppable that year. But he did have some games in which he was off. Still, when you look back on this guys game log from that year, you have to be impressed of what he was able to do.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/malonmo01/gamelog/1989/

Just a point...

Malone was a dominant C but he couldn't co-exist with Nique or Theus. That made him a Center that we didn't need. Plus, defensively, Moses never had a step, so he didn't lose one. That team was built wrong. We would have done better having a less dominate C like Micheal Cage or James Donaldson. James Donaldson would have been a great fit. Big JD would have helped hold down the offenses we faced.

• Premium Member

We were playing great that year before the trade, it just seemed like our time. We would have would 60+ if Nique would not have gotten traded.

The Hawks winning percentage that year before the trade was .692. Afterward, it was .700.