• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why do people think Crawford could replace Johnson?

AnthonyI11

Crawford is a great scorer.. don't get me wrong, but he is a terrible defender and you have to admit he is a chucker, He lacks leadership. I love Crawford as much as the next Hawks fan, but anyone that thinks Joe is replacable by Crawford has to be fooling themselves.

I mean, am I wrong?

No., The only people saying that are the people that didn't like JJ in the first place, before Crawford got here.

As a Hawks fan, how can you not like Joe Johnson? He's helped us so much throughout the years. Does anyone remember where the Hawks used to be?

How is Joe Johnson not lacking leadership? I don't think Craw can replace Joe either, but his leadership is not a reason.

Joe is the clear leader of the team. I understand he isn't the most vocal person in the world. But actions speak louder then words. lol

Edited by AnthonyI11

No way could or would Crawford replace Joe. Joe is an impact player, he's just isn't a superstar. Crawford is an amazingly talented offensive player who lack good athletic ability and is horrible defensively. JJ is a second tier star while Crawford is a nice piece.

Everyone is different. I'm more like Josh; always arguing, or getting mad, that's just because i'm real competitive when I'm playing any sport. Just the love of the sport. That doesn't mean he isn't a good leader. Al, Josh, and JJ are all the leaders, but they both show it in different ways, and that's what makes the Hawk a good team.

Edited by AHawks89

• Premium Member

Crawford is a great scorer.. don't get me wrong, but he is a terrible defender and you have to admit he is a chucker, He lacks leadership. I love Crawford as much as the next Hawks fan, but anyone that thinks Joe is replacable by Crawford has to be fooling themselves.

I mean, am I wrong?

He can't replace Joe. He could account for Joe's 21pts but that's it. Crawford's #1 cheerleader these days is Bob and Nique. Stinger on the other understands that if the Hawks want to take that next step then JJ and Crawford are needed.

I mean, am I wrong?

So you're telling me Joe HAS leadership? Joe reminds me of a shy kid in the back of a class room. He doesn't want the spot light. Crawford however shows emotion when he plays, and he's not afraid to take the big shot. Sure Crawford lacks the size and defense of Joe, but they are two completely different players.

Who do I want in the 4th taking shots? Crawford

Who do I want running isos? Crawford. Joe's Iso's make me puke, the dude is in slow motion and almost never takes it to the hole.

Crawfords defense is expendable, especially when we have Smoove and Horford covering the paint...

As a Hawks fan, how can you not like Joe Johnson? He's helped us so much throughout the years. Does anyone remember where the Hawks used to be?

Well the one guy leading the charge with that "MVP" handle may have just hopped on the wagon a year or two ago.

For those of us who've seen what Joe Johnson has done for this team since he's signed it's a lot different.

The dumbest thing about the Crawford vs Johnson talk is people who are oblivious to the fact that it's about DEPTH. Joe Johnson + Jamal Crawford >>>>>> Joe Johnson/Jamal Crawford + (Mo Williams/insert other backup 2)

Edited by BusBoyIsBack

• Premium Member

Well the one guy leading the charge with that "MVP" handle may have just hopped on the wagon a year or two ago.

For those of us who've seen what Joe Johnson has done for this team since he's signed it's a lot different.

The dumbest thing about the Crawford vs Johnson talk is people who are oblivious to the fact that it's about DEPTH. Joe Johnson + Jamal Crawford >>>>>> Joe Johnson/Jamal Crawford + (Mo Williams/insert other backup 2)

Exactly, all this talk is retarded.

Even if Crawford DOES step up and fill JJ shoes completely... then who the heck fills the void left by Crawford as our sixth man? Marvin? Bibby? a MLE free agent?. If JJ leaves it will be a significant step back... At least for the immediate future. Obviously the makeup of our team should change from a perimeter oriented team to a pound it inside with Horford and Smith (who hopefully continue to improve next year) type of team, but that would mean an entire change in coaching philosophy, and I for one am not to thrilled about the prospects of Woody being able to retool his offense succesfuly.

Edited by Atlantaholic

I agree. People need to be looking at JJ and Crawford as a DUO . . not as individuals competing against each other. I don't know why some in the fan base think that we'd be better off without one or the other. We're the #3 backcourt in the league because of what those 2 can do TOGETHER. And when Bibby's game is on, we're that much more dangerous.

• Premium Member

The one thing that I think most people dislike about JJ that causes them to lash out is the fact that he has just never seemed totally dedicated to our team. I mean, you look at Josh/Horf/Craw and all you hear is how happy they are to be contending and helping the team be succesful. You look at Joe and most of what he talks about seems negative or selfish... Not selfish in a terrible way, just in a way that makes it clear that the #1 thing he cares about is Joe Johnson/Money. Not saying it isn't understandable, but as a fan you are going to embrace the players that put the team above all else. I think most people sense (myself probably included) that Joe ain't that guy.

The one thing that I think most people dislike about JJ that causes them to lash out is the fact that he has just never seemed totally dedicated to our team. I mean, you look at Josh/Horf/Craw and all you hear is how happy they are to be contending and helping the team be succesful. You look at Joe and most of what he talks about seems negative or selfish... Not selfish in a terrible way, just in a way that makes it clear that the #1 thing he cares about is Joe Johnson/Money. Not saying it isn't understandable, but as a fan you are going to embrace the players that put the team above all else. I think most people sense (myself probably included) that Joe ain't that guy.

Hello,

That is an excellent summation of my feelings about JJ. I honestly cannot remember him saying a positive thing about this Team. In spite of the fact the Hawks are contending with a team built almost entirely through the Draft. Don't get me wrong, the addition of Crawford has been huge, but our core are Players we Drafted.

JJ is a great Player and a tough matchup given his height and all around game. I just wish he seemed happy to be here. Given how much less we spend than other contenders, what BK and RS have done is remarkable. I realize BK made some absurd picks. Namely Shelden Williams and Marvin at #2, but Horford and Smoove have been fantastic. Sund has managed to keep our core together and add Crawford and draft an intriguing PG in Teague.

Regardless of where JJ ends up, I really do think the future is bright. Given how many Players enjoy the Atlanta Metro, I really think the steady improvement might allow us to bring in better Players for the MLE and so forth.

Cheers,

JJ