• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horford blames Hawks Guards

Vesper

Center Al Horford said the problem often has been ball movement.

"That really falls on the guys that are running our team," he said. "The guards have the ball in their hands. They control the game, and that's something they have to kind of realize."

My link

The kid has a pair of brass balls!

Edited by Vesper

"That really falls on the guys that are running our team," he said. "The guards have the ball in their hands. They control the game, and that's something they have to kind of realize."

My link

Glad Al told it like it is.

He also needs to pick up his rebounding down the stetch.

• Premium Member

It's amazing how different the reaction around here is when the criticism comes from Al instead of Joe.

Not for nothing, but there have been many occasions I've seen Al put his head down and take a heavily contested shot against 2 defenders with Marvin/Bibby/Mo/someone else wide open on the perimeter. That doesn't make him a selfish player, because you frankly expect your center to do that when he gets the ball down low. But you also expect your shooting guard to shoot when they get the ball and think they can get off a shot. The problem is that we have a coach that has shooting guards initiate the offense instead of PGs - they get more assists than most SGs, but fewer than most PGs. So we shouldn't be shocked when the shooting guards shoot, and it makes little sense to blame them for not being able to magically transform their mentality into that of a PG.

Edited by niremetal

There are only 2 guys on the Hawks that I think against a set defense have the ability to consistently draw a double, find the open man, and pass the ball. Joe certainly has the ability- the Hawks just get in trouble when he tries to score through the double.

My link

he also later said that last game everyone had open shots through good ball movement but the shots didnt fall but you didnt post the rest of the quotes. This team is not gonna go far if they start joining the fans in pointing fingers .

It's amazing how different the reaction around here is when the criticism comes from Al instead of Joe.

Not for nothing, but there have been many occasions I've seen Al put his head down and take a heavily contested shot against 2 defenders with Marvin/Bibby/Mo/someone else wide open on the perimeter. That doesn't make him a selfish player, because you frankly expect your center to do that when he gets the ball down low. But you also expect your shooting guard to shoot when they get the ball and think they can get off a shot. The problem is that we have a coach that has shooting guards initiate the offense instead of PGs - they get more assists than most SGs, but fewer than most PGs. So we shouldn't be shocked when the shooting guards shoot, and it makes little sense to blame them for not being able to magically transform their mentality into that of a PG.

But we have games where Smoove leads the team in assist and he is not a guard.

Remember Iso Lue.in the 4th?

I don't think it matters if a pg has the ball or not, we have always had iso heavy 4th quarters under Woody.

• Premium Member

Al has missed more late game shots than anyone. Personally I think he should look in the mirror and shut the heck up for once. Who is he to be saying anything? Dude is dang sure high on himself these days.

lord knows that other clown Marvin has nooooooo room to talk.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

This has been our offense ever since Woody became coach. Pound the ball during the fourth quarter. We did it with, Lue, Anthony Johnson, Joe Johnson, Jamal Crawford, and Bibby. Al Horford did the right thing, because he is just telling the truth.

i bet our friend Nique has been in his ear.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Al is 100% right. Ball movement has been stopping in the 4th quarters and we rely too much on ISO-Joe and ISO-Jamal.

We need to play the last quarter like the 1st. Joe needs to stop with "hero-mode" and Jamal also needs to wait more

for his opportunities. Pass it around and wait until the opportinuty presents itslef. Standing around and waiting until the

clock is at 10 only makes sense on the last possesion of a quarter.

This has been our offense ever since Woody became coach. Pound the ball during the fourth quarter. We did it with, Lue, Anthony Johnson, Joe Johnson, Jamal Crawford, and Bibby. Al Horford did the right thing, because he is just telling the truth.

Seriously this crap needs to get ironed out before the playoffs start or the Hawks could easily get taken out in the first round.

We already know Woody is either part of the problem or incapable of correcting it.

• Premium Member

Al has missed more late game shots than anyone. Personally I think he should look in the mirror and shut the heck up for once. Who is he to be saying anything? Dude is dang sure high on himself these days.

lord knows that other clown Marvin has nooooooo room to talk.

In the Hero Mode thread someone posted the efg% for our players in the clutch (under five minutes left in game) Horford ranks second on the team ahead of Johnson and WAY ahead of Crawford. Al Horford is doing the right thing because it is the truth. Our frontcourt players get forgotten in the fourth and it kills our offense because they are our most efficient scorers and they don't even get an opportunity to score.